If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
The blue bloods own/run the NCAA... it surely can't be any worse trying something different.

*but yeah, I hear ya.;)
Honestly, I think if the current system is blown up and replaced with some sort of semi-pro college athlete model, the OSU's of the world will move on and be in a second tier of true amateurism. Just no way we can go toe to toe with Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, et al financially. And I think ultimately that is a good thing. Universities should not exist as a support system for a semi pro sports franchise, and visa versa.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
If the blue bloods break away from the NCAA, who do you think is going to own/run the new thing? Do you think it will be more or less egalitarian?
Dammit just let me have my utopian parity dream. And kick the NCAA square in the junk at the same time.

2020 owes us that much! :cursing:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The blue bloods own/run the NCAA... it surely can't be any worse trying something different.

*but yeah, I hear ya.;)
If the blue bloods break away from the NCAA, who do you think is going to own/run the new thing? Do you think it will be more or less egalitarian?
2nd verse, same as the first.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Honestly, I think if the current system is blown up and replaced with some sort of semi-pro college athlete model, the OSU's of the world will move on and be in a second tier of true amateurism. Just no way we can go toe to toe with Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, et al financially. And I think ultimately that is a good thing. Universities should not exist as a support system for a semi pro sports franchise, and visa versa.
I don't know how it shakes out but the current system does create an opportunity for a lot of kids to go to college who would not have had a shot without sports.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Dammit just let me have my utopian parity dream. And kick the NCAA square in the junk at the same time.

2020 owes us that much! :cursing:
This is akin to people griping about the Big 12 commish. It's set up just like the schools want it & the commish is just a figurehead, without any real power or authority. Likewise, the NCAA IS the schools.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Nebraska left to get away from Texas, so not sure they'd come back while they're still pretty much in charge. I'd take them back though...I miss Nebraska.
That, and their revenue share in the B1G is significantly bigger. Hard to see walking away from the B1G $$$ when athletic departments are going to be hemorrhaging $$$ like never before.

Our focus is on football, right now, but another BB season with no tourney would be disastrous for the NCAA.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So I wonder if there are any realignment opportunities that could come out of this? I'd love to pluck Nebraska and Iowa away from the B1G permanently if they wanted to play this year.
Would be bad for us. You don't think we'd have to fight off Nebraska and Iowa for the recruits from Texas that we are getting ? Only reason they don't go there now is they want to play near home and in a conference that they know something about.

Wouldn't impact uT. Wouldn't impact 0U. But everyone else should vote "no thanks".

Mar 11, 2006
So I say this with zero inside knowledge. Purely 100% speculation and guessing based on news report on twitter rumors.

1) Seems like ACC and SEC want to play. And they want Big 12 to play.

2) Big 12 seems divided. Who would be in and who would be out?
In - OSU, Texas, Texas Tech, KSU , OU
on the fence - WVU, TCU
Out - Iowa State, KU, Baylor,

Nebraska seems determined to play. Assume there may be a school or two who could replace schools that opt-out.

Anyone have guesses as to who is in or out in Big 12?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So I say this with zero inside knowledge. Purely 100% speculation and guessing based on news report on twitter rumors.

1) Seems like ACC and SEC want to play. And they want Big 12 to play.

2) Big 12 seems divided. Who would be in and who would be out?
In - OSU, Texas, Texas Tech, KSU , OU
on the fence - WVU, TCU
Out - Iowa State, KU, Baylor,

Nebraska seems determined to play. Assume there may be a school or two who could replace schools that opt-out.

Anyone have guesses as to who is in or out in Big 12?
My seem that way, but I"m not sure Scott Frost is gonna have alot of say in this The 'liability' word's getting thrown around a lot today.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And he called their treatment of him a hoax. NOT the virus. This is an easily debunked myth that is still floating around for some reason.
Probably because he HEAVILY implied it was a hoax and, at the least, downplayed it’s significance heavily. That has repercussions.
https://twitter.com/cnnnewsroom/status/1293245287213998080?s=21