If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Do you realize that you're arguing against bring students back to campus?
Thanks for responding...agree..
IF we were ONLY worried about covid and not the implications of the cure being worse than covid itself, it would be best that we didn’t do in person school. Respectfully, The fact is many if not most of us don’t think total covid Prevention is worth the cost of true and total covid prevention (both mentally and physically including life loss due to student and other suicide).

Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
Because students don't smash into each other at high velocities in the classroom, generally?

Sitting in classroom is an apple.

Tackling a running back coming at you full steam is an orange.

This ain't rocket surgery, people.
It has nothing to do with apples, oranges or tackling anybody. Its has to do with breathing in covid 19 from an infected person. Your probably just as likely to get infected sitting in a classroom then playing football were every athlete is tested each week before they play.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Because students don't smash into each other at high velocities in the classroom, generally?

Sitting in classroom is an apple.

Tackling a running back coming at you full steam is an orange.

This ain't rocket surgery, people.
If we are doing covid testing won’t we catch the people with covid and prevent the things that could remotely happen and as I’ve read and heard happen with all other viruses like the flu. Ie enlarged heart, etc...

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
If we are doing covid testing won’t we catch the people with covid and prevent the things that could remotely happen and as I’ve read and heard happen with all other viruses like the flu. Ie enlarged heart, etc...
#1 It doesn't happen "with all other viruses". There are a couple of viruses where definitive links have been found, like Coxsackie B, some herpes viruses, and parvo. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen with Coxsackie A. There are case reports with other viruses, like the flu, but no definitive link.
#2 Catheterization is invasive and not something that we do routinely. I don't know of any situation where we do heart caths prophylactically.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree that the Big 10 and Pac 12 have considered the financial implications of canceling, they'd be idiots if they didn't. But Ford wouldn't have been infamous for deciding they didn't want to pay out for all the tort claims from deaths in the Pinto and just fixed the design flaw in the gas tank instead. That would have, in fact, been the right thing to do even if the underlying reasons were financial and not ethical.
Sorry on this one I was banned and didn’t read up on the pinto deal. I don’t have the same mindset when it comes to covid as you do...virus you a human being isn’t the same as a flaw in a car...I understand we want to fix and cure both but we have never done what we are doing in terms of attempting to curb this virus and we have never been on such a track for a vaccine in our history to my understanding. Point being, even with playing football, it’s not as if we aren’t trying our best to “fix” this.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It has nothing to do with apples, oranges or tackling anybody. Its has to do with breathing in covid 19 from an infected person. Your probably just as likely to get infected sitting in a classroom then playing football were every athlete is tested each week before they play.
But COVID increases the risk of thromboembolism, both venous and arteriolar. Football collisions cause hematomas. These two things would be bad together. They don't happen in the classroom because students aren't colliding with each other at high velocities.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
#1 It doesn't happen "with all other viruses". There are a couple of viruses where definitive links have been found, like Coxsackie B, some herpes viruses, and parvo. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen with Coxsackie A. There are case reports with other viruses, like the flu, but no definitive link.
#2 Catheterization is invasive and not something that we do routinely. I don't know of any situation where we do heart caths prophylactically.
In what percentage of cases of covid does this happen? Assuming we know?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Sorry on this one I was banned and didn’t read up on the pinto deal. I don’t have the same mindset when it comes to covid as you do...virus you a human being isn’t the same as a flaw in a car...I understand we want to fix and cure both but we have never done what we are doing in terms of attempting to curb this virus and we have never been on such a track for a vaccine in our history to my understanding. Point being, even with playing football, it’s not as if we aren’t trying our best to “fix” this.
If the SEC decides to play football because they want the football revenue, the they are Ford Pinto. All that testing players is nothing but window dressing, "we'll tint the windows on the cars."

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It isn't an accusation, it is entertainment to us. Nothing else. That's a simple fact. It's entertainment to me, I enjoy watching it. I presume you enjoy watching it and thus it's entertainment to you. It's entertainment to most of the players, only a very small fraction will go on to be paid to play it, otherwise they play it because they are good and it and enjoy it. That last part is why I particularly love the college game over the NFL, because the players are mostly playing because they enjoy it and are good at it.

I don't know why you would have a problem admitting that.
It’s entertainment to me, but I’m also concerned with life...My point was that it’s not JUST about entertainment..I also care

Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
But COVID increases the risk of thromboembolism, both venous and arteriolar. Football collisions cause hematomas. These two things would be bad together. They don't happen in the classroom because students aren't colliding with each other at high velocities.
I have 5 knee surgeries and 1 hand surgery from playing ball. Getting out of bed each day is a risk. You choose to play or choose not to play. Mmaybe you would be better off in a non sports board.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Life is not a collision sport. Football is a collision sport. COVID-19 has long-term cardiovascular implications that we are only beginning to understand, and that we understand not at all in the context of collision sports. There are some professional athletes that are playing contact sports right now (basketball, soccer) that will give us a better idea, even if we can't completely extrapolate the data to football. Admitting that we don't know enough to allow participating in a collision sport doesn't mean we have to lockdown the rest of non-collision society. That is simply non sequitur.
So what should I tell my brother who had it months ago and says he is 100% now? How many folks should expect these complications? Why did the debate move from death to complications? Could it be possible that the data got tainted to cause more alarm for a very small percentage of patients? Not sure, actually asking.
Thanks for responding to these questions.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I have 5 knee surgeries and 1 hand surgery from playing ball. Getting out of bed each day is a risk. You choose to play or choose not to play. Maybe you would be better off in a non sports board.
This is where you are now:
1597257675298.png

Maybe you should educate yourself a little on contagious diseases.

P.S. I have two knee surgeries and three fractures in my lumbar spine from playing ball. I played a year of small college ball and got the crap beat out of me. I coached youth football for five years. I've referred high school football in Oklahoma and Georgia. I love football no less than anyone else in this forum. If you love it and want to save it you're going about it the wrong way.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
So what should I tell my brother who had it months ago and says he is 100% now? How many folks should expect these complications? Why did the debate move from death to complications? Could it be possible that the data got tainted to cause more alarm for a very small percentage of patients? Not sure, actually asking.
Which is more likely, @Rack
1. All scientists are dishonest and tainted the data just to cause alarm for a very small percentage of patients and cancel the college football season, or

2. You don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Jul 23, 2018
USA
Life is not a collision sport. Football is a collision sport. COVID-19 has long-term cardiovascular implications that we are only beginning to understand, and that we understand not at all in the context of collision sports. There are some professional athletes that are playing contact sports right now (basketball, soccer) that will give us a better idea, even if we can't completely extrapolate the data to football. Admitting that we don't know enough to allow participating in a collision sport doesn't mean we have to lockdown the rest of non-collision society. That is simply non sequitur.
What is the definition of "long term" in the context of cardiovascular implications? Assuming fall football is cancelled and many players contract covid during the fall semester, when should these players be cleared to resume playing?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Its a link...didnt realize sniff had moved the thread. I am an accountant, i dont pretend to be an expert, like some people. Our own CDC cant keep there crap straight.
It's never moved, this is where it's always been.

I don't pretend to be an expert, either, and I'm capable of understanding why CDC information, guidelines, and recommendations keep changing in the midst of a pandemic with a brand new disease about which we knew nothing in February. Are you?