If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
What if it is not just players at risk here? Last I checked to have a football season you need refs, coaches, bus drivers, janitors, field crew, stadium crew, camera crew, sound crew, media, security, team personnel, medics, ambulance teams, etc. They all have to be part of the risk calculations too.

If just a few of those groups push back at participating you are in for a circus. Not to mention with all the restrictions and lack of ticket sales/concessions is a season even going to come close to breaking even on cost or be close to the loss you take by cancelling?
People die every year at all sorts of events. Death isn’t the responsibility of the people putting on events but each persons responsibility. The biggest, and I mean biggest by far, problem in America is lack of personal responsibility for our own actions AND the need major tort reform and lawsuit limitations on folks who
Don’t take responsibility for themselves. We used to just accept that risk are involved in life as our own responsibility, once you give that to someone else you have done a couple of things. 1. You have lost a ton of freedoms 2. You no longer look out for yourself. 3. You behave like a child thinking someone else is responsible. Certainly there are exceptions, but this whole covid cancel deal seems to be the worst case of lack of personal responsibility and fear of lawsuits of all time.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Which will NOT be going through the NCAA 3 test per week etc etc etc safety guidelines
Are you sure? I think many of those you mentionsd are and if not theee times a week perhaps before they can ref , drive, etc...it’s not as if we are flying blind and not wearing mask and being very careful. Even here in Tulsa I see about 90% wearing mask and trying to social distance

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Are you sure? I think many of those you mentionsd are and if not theee times a week perhaps before they can ref , drive, etc...it’s not as if we are flying blind and not wearing mask and being very careful. Even here in Tulsa I see about 90% wearing mask and trying to social distance
stadium workers, security, clean up, Cheer?? Band?? vendors?? these people all going to be undergoing testing 3 times per week ?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ford screwed up. This has NOTHING to do with college football in 2020...especially when it actually reduces risk of covid transmission due to training, detection, testing and cleaning. I honestly don’t understand why you or anyone else would’ve think it increases risk in our real world environment to have football with all the tons of innovation and testing they are building into the system as compared to the alternative in our current reality which is let them go do as they please parting and infecting at will and random. Sorry that’s just reality. Having college football reduces the risk, it does not increase it.

Oct 30, 2007
I just heard an interesting story on the radio. Larry Reece said that two of our players have shown signs of heart inflammation due to COVID. He said that they were really glad that they were here as a part of the football program because they wouldn't have known without our testing. They would've been working out at home and putting themselves at risk.

I've read that athletes can typically return to playing sports in 3-6 months following myocarditis. I hope those guys don't have any long term effects.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I just heard an interesting story on the radio. Larry Reece said that two of our players have shown signs of heart inflammation due to COVID. He said that they were really glad that they were here as a part of the football program because they wouldn't have known without our testing. They would've been working out at home and putting themselves at risk.

I've read that athletes can typically return to playing sports in 3-6 months following myocarditis. I hope those guys don't have any long term effects.
Jesus, I hope these kids are watching out for themselves and their organizations and schools are actively checking for this at the pro and amateur level

I pray to GOD it doesn't affect High school kids the same way and present the same complications because they won't have the luxury NCAA and Pro athletes will have

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
What if it is not just players at risk here? Last I checked to have a football season you need refs, coaches, bus drivers, janitors, field crew, stadium crew, camera crew, sound crew, media, security, team personnel, medics, ambulance teams, etc. They all have to be part of the risk calculations too.

If just a few of those groups push back at participating you are in for a circus. Not to mention with all the restrictions and lack of ticket sales/concessions is a season even going to come close to breaking even on cost or be close to the loss you take by cancelling?
People die every year at all sorts of events. Death isn’t the responsibility of the people putting on events but each persons responsibility. The biggest, and I mean biggest by far, problem in America is lack of personal responsibility for our own actions AND the need major tort reform and lawsuit limitations on folks who
Don’t take responsibility for themselves. We used to just accept that risk are involved in life as our own responsibility, once you give that to someone else you have done a couple of things. 1. You have lost a ton of freedoms 2. You no longer look out for yourself. 3. You behave like a child thinking someone else is responsible. Certainly there are exceptions, but this whole covid cancel deal seems to be the worst case of lack of personal responsibility and fear of lawsuits of all time.
If it was about personal responsibility there would be no rules - masks, distancing, testing, cleaning, quarantines, etc. How do you think that would work out?

SMH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
Rx you need to break out your fitting the couch in the car meme for the pinto analogy at this point, and speaking of entertainment, this thread had been worth the price of admission for me anyways

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Ford screwed up. This has NOTHING to do with college football in 2020...especially when it actually reduces risk of covid transmission due to training, detection, testing and cleaning. I honestly don’t understand why you or anyone else would’ve think it increases risk in our real world environment to have football with all the tons of innovation and testing they are building into the system as compared to the alternative in our current reality which is let them go do as they please parting and infecting at will and random. Sorry that’s just reality. Having college football reduces the risk, it does not increase it.
How do you know that once the games start the risks are reduced? Show me the data. Prove it.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I don't know exactly what the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are basing their decisions on. I'm saying you are making the Ford Pinto decision.
So you're saying that I know players are going to die and want them to play anyway? Sorry, I've got to strongly disagree there. And on that note, I'm done with the Ford Pinto Analogy discussion.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If it was about personal responsibility there would be no rules - masks, distancing, testing, cleaning, quarantines, etc. How do you think that would work out?

SMH.

I'd be driving without an inspected car, smoking in public, setting booby traps, and generally livin a FREE life.
And no doubt an annual nominee for a Darwin Award

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

SMH.

There is a balance...I was making a general statement. Certainly we have to have guidelines and we do. We need to be careful, and we are. I just have a major problem with trip and fall lawsuit abusers at work and those who file frivolous lawsuits and don't take personal responsibility.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How do you know that once the games start the risks are reduced? Show me the data. Prove it.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/nba-nbpa-announce-zero-positive-covid-19-tests-since-aug-5/
Of course this is the bubble and we don't have that data specifically on college footballs attempt at mini bubbles yet and it all depends on a bunch of factors...not overcrowding the stadiums is biggest one of them. We are going to have some spread unless we totally shut down society again which isn't acceptable because of the damage it causes unrelated to covid. No one has this data yet accept for maybe the NBA and MLB (without fans) among others who have not had a single death from Covid yet. I also heard only 1% of players in all these sports have tested positive. We won't have the kind of data you are talking about on those schools not participating, because they aren't going to test and participate in the prevention and detection so it's going to be hard to prove even with data. Don't you think it will AT LEAST make our database better to have that kind of testing and prevention attempts by college football rather than not? I'm not saying they are lab rats, but I am saying, logically, that it should be better to be tested, working out, and around others who are routinely tested than it would be to be left to our own designs.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/nba-nbpa-announce-zero-positive-covid-19-tests-since-aug-5/
Of course this is the bubble and we don't have that data specifically on college footballs attempt at mini bubbles yet and it all depends on a bunch of factors...not overcrowding the stadiums is biggest one of them. We are going to have some spread unless we totally shut down society again which isn't acceptable because of the damage it causes unrelated to covid. No one has this data yet accept for maybe the NBA and MLB (without fans) among others who have not had a single death from Covid yet. I also heard only 1% of players in all these sports have tested positive. We won't have the kind of data you are talking about on those schools not participating, because they aren't going to test and participate in the prevention and detection so it's going to be hard to prove even with data. Don't you think it will AT LEAST make our database better to have that kind of testing and prevention attempts by college football rather than not? I'm not saying they are lab rats, but I am saying, logically, that it should be better to be tested, working out, and around others who are routinely tested than it would be to be left to our own designs.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb...d-outbreak-options/1i82bicfi4yip1czf8xi1zyu2p

The Cardinals have missed 13 consecutive scheduled games — including the three-game series in Pittsburgh that was scheduled to end Wednesday — and have no real idea when they’ll return to the ballpark for anything other than daily COVID-19 tests. At the moment, they’re supposed to play a doubleheader in Detroit on Thursday — no, wait, that was postponed, too — and start a three-game series against the White Sox in Chicago on Friday, but there’s little confidence that will happen.