If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oh, I guarantee all the conferences have discussed liability. All of them, regardless of what decision they've made. They have to.
Don't you think they have also discussed it with concussions and blunt force trauma and other enlarged heart problems and deaths in the past? Why is this any different? If we don't want them to take any risk we should end football entirely. I know you have said you have football injuries and I have sports injuries as well....Do you advocate for ending the sport? It is, after all, inherently dangerous...very much so.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb...d-outbreak-options/1i82bicfi4yip1czf8xi1zyu2p

The Cardinals have missed 13 consecutive scheduled games — including the three-game series in Pittsburgh that was scheduled to end Wednesday — and have no real idea when they’ll return to the ballpark for anything other than daily COVID-19 tests. At the moment, they’re supposed to play a doubleheader in Detroit on Thursday — no, wait, that was postponed, too — and start a three-game series against the White Sox in Chicago on Friday, but there’s little confidence that will happen.
This is why the Big 12 has built in 2 bye weeks instead of just one...IMHO, if a team has a bunch of positive test they didn't do a good job of limiting their teams exposure and should be forced to forfeit those games. Some teams may totally have to be locked out...My hope, based on the extreme measures most of the better teams are going with, that this will not happen. Of course we do not know.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is why the Big 12 has built in 2 bye weeks instead of just one...IMHO, if a team has a bunch of positive test they didn't do a good job of limiting their teams exposure and should be forced to forfeit those games.
So teams are only going to experience covid on the dates the Big XII has set out for their bye weeks or are you saying those were made to play make up games due to covid ?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
So you're saying that I know players are going to die and want them to play anyway? Sorry, I've got to strongly disagree there. And on that note, I'm done with the Ford Pinto Analogy discussion.
That's not what I'm saying. The Ford execs, Lee Iaccoca, did not want people to die. I do not think you want people to do. Fortunately, we haven't had anyone come out with the "infect them all and get it over with" argument in this thread.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So teams are only going to experience covid on the dates the Big XII has set out for their bye weeks
:derp::derp:
Of course...don't you know that's the plan? They are going to let them go out and party hard right before their bye weeks just so they have time to recover. :derp::derp::derp:

Honestly this is new territory...teams are going to have to rely on peer pressure to keep themselves safe. When and if they get a big outbreak they are going to likely have to forfeit and lose games. It's a different world and they are just going to have to be really responsible.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That's not what I'm saying. The Ford execs, Lee Iaccoca, did not want people to die. I do not think you want people to do. Fortunately, we haven't had anyone come out with the "infect them all and get it over with" argument in this thread.
;);)Isn't that what we are going to do with a vaccine? I kid...seriously...I'm not advocating covid parties...and I know good vaccine isn't live covid.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
This is why the Big 12 has built in 2 bye weeks instead of just one...IMHO, if a team has a bunch of positive test they didn't do a good job of limiting their teams exposure and should be forced to forfeit those games. Some teams may totally have to be locked out...My hope, based on the extreme measures most of the better teams are going with, that this will not happen. Of course we do not know.
A forfeit doesn't do the other team any good because then they aren't playing. Right now every team the Cardinals aren't playing are pretty much just as affected as the Cardinals. It's working for the NBA and NHL inside tightly controlled bubbles, not so much for the MLB where teams have to travel.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Don't you think they have also discussed it with concussions and blunt force trauma and other enlarged heart problems and deaths in the past? Why is this any different? If we don't want them to take any risk we should end football entirely. I know you have said you have football injuries and I have sports injuries as well....Do you advocate for ending the sport? It is, after all, inherently dangerous...very much so.
CTE R0=0
COVID-19 R0>1

Why is this so difficult to understand that this is a contagious, infectious disease?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A forfeit doesn't do the other team any good because then they aren't playing. Right now every team the Cardinals aren't playing are pretty much just as affected as the Cardinals. It's working for the NBA and NHL inside tightly controlled bubbles, not so much for the MLB where teams have to travel.
They aren't playing and they get a win...to me that does that team a ton of good in the standings and it kills the one that was lax.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
CTE R0=0
COVID-19 R0>1

Why is this so difficult to understand that this is a contagious, infectious disease?
You didn't answer my question. You changed the subject instead.
We have infectious disease every single year...yep this one is worse albeit slightly worse and it's new and has a level of the unknown or we would not be having these discussions. THUS the massively huge insanely expensive cautious and precautions going into the attempts to play a season. No one is advocating for crazy town open up without mask and no testing and run amuck like wild animals. We are advocating for safe responsible innovation so that life can continue as safely and orderly as possible in spite of the pandemic. Football could certainly not be played this year, we just disagree that it's more responsible to play than not to play. We aren't changing that stance so why are we wasting all this time discussing it when we (me anyway) should be working.

Sorry for wasting your time...it's fun, but I really should start to let things go and just not respond.

Rx - In all complete and total seriousness. I wish you nothing but success and happiness in your pursuit of your goals and life. I thank you for your work on this virus and your educational attempts. They aren't unwarranted nor unwanted...we just have a difference of opinion on risk and what risk is acceptable and isn't. We agree 150% that mask should be religiously worn and that social distance is needed as well. We, neither one, want a single death from anything...including this virus. I hope we agree that we both want life to continue as normally as possible with precautions and safety big time. That should be enough really....we are arguing ONLY about timing of all that good stuff returning...that's it. I'm going to cut off my hands so I don't respond again. :facepalm:;);) But please acknowledge and know we have unity on these last few points.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
You didn't answer my question. You changed the subject instead.
We have infectious disease every single year...yep this one is worse albeit slightly worse and it's new and has a level of the unknown or we would not be having these discussions. THUS the massively huge insanely expensive cautious and precautions going into the attempts to play a season. No one is advocating for crazy town open up without mask and no testing and run amuck like wild animals. We are advocating for safe responsible innovation so that life can continue as safely and orderly as possible in spite of the pandemic.
1. This is a brand new disease.
2. At the pace that it is killing people, by the end of the year it will be the third leading cause of death in the United States.
3. We knew nothing about it when it hit in March and we're learning new things about it every day.
4. We did not do what we needed to do to flatten the curve, so we're still experiencing the first wave.
5. Cold and flu season is coming, so things are likely to get worse.
6. We have gotten better at treating it in-hospital, but we still have little to treat mild to moderate cases with.
7. This has been politicized from the outset, and people, like you, have staked their worldviews in their positions. So new information is minimized, ignored, abandoned, etc. to make it fit their preconceptions. This is altogether unlike the response to, say, 2009 H1N1.
8. What you are advocating is what has caused Big 10, Pac 12, Mountain West, MAC, Ivy, and most smaller conferences to either postpone or cancel their seasons. Yet, you can't change your views.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1. This is a brand new disease.
2. At the pace that it is killing people, by the end of the year it will be the third leading cause of death in the United States.
3. We knew nothing about it when it hit in March and we're learning new things about it every day.
4. We did not do what we needed to do to flatten the curve, so we're still experiencing the first wave.
5. Cold and flu season is coming, so things are likely to get worse.
6. We have gotten better at treating it in-hospital, but we still have little to treat mild to moderate cases with.
7. This has been politicized from the outset, and people, like you, have staked their worldviews in their positions. So new information is minimized, ignored, abandoned, etc. to make it fit their preconceptions. This is altogether unlike the response to, say, 2009 H1N1.
8. What you are advocating is what has caused Big 10, Pac 12, Mountain West, MAC, Ivy, and most smaller conferences to either postpone or cancel their seasons. Yet, you can't change your views.
I edited my post before your response...we have common ground...my views on having the season don't change, but that doesn't mean that we don't have common ground and that I don't agree with a lot of what you say. In your post here I agree with 1,2,3,4,5 depends on cures and such, 6 is good but why not on the second part?, 7 you are guilty too even if your politics align with mine more than say Steross, 8, IMHO thank God we aren't in those massively risk adverse leagues...I predict those leagues won't play football at all in 30 years. So on your 8 points I disagree with 1, maybe slightly on 2. Dang we are so far off. ;-)

Anyway, we have more in agreement than in disagreement...that is my point and I think it's a good one for me to end on...couldn't cut off my hands unfortunately...I'd have to go find a redhead if I did. ;-)

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I have been called the exact opposite of my actual political views because I have looked at the data and the science and not the politics.
Can you acknowledge we are united on most of this...just a difference of opinion on when things should return but agree on precautions when / if they do? Honestly we are NOT far apart on this. Only virus politics makes you think we are...;-)You are going to cheer like heck when and if we win the big 12 this year and you are going to hope like heck and maybe even contribute to the cause (in knowledge or other ways) that these kids remain healthy even while playing the sport they love. If we spent even half the time we spend on this board on actual things to help others the world would be a better place. I know this does some good too...but you get it.

Good luck to you sir and you aren't fighting a lost cause. We are going to heal from this thing, both as OSU fans and as a nation...At least that is my daily prayer.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
It’s time. Virus isn’t leaving. A 20 year old will have to face it some time at least once in their life. Infect them all and get it over with. There it is, I said it. I don’t mean it but I said it.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
It’s time. Virus isn’t leaving. A 20 year old will have to face it some time at least once in their life. Infect them all and get it over with. There it is, I said it. I don’t mean it but I said it.
Yep. We need more of this. Rx is spending too much time twiddling his thumbs.
1597358396835.jpg

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Lasting heart & lung damage tho... this isn’t just one bout of sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. We need more of this. Rx is spending too much time twiddling his thumbs.
View attachment 84981
Just for a 'fun' view of history, the reason the Spanish Flu didn't dismantle western civilization was that it was fast. COVID isn't. It's a slow burn. We've obviously improved our treatments since the beginning of the outbreak, and maybe we'll even get a vaccine. But maybe we won't. This might just stick around for two or three or five years. Death by a thousand cuts.

Dan Carlin (history podcast, Hardcore History, check it out!), posed a question once on if you had to pick a war to fight in, probably last on everyone's list is World War I. Trench warfare was a slow psychological torture. While ancient battles were horrifying and bloody, they were also quick. Boom, one day and you're done. WWI is day after day after day of fear and panic. It fucks with you after awhile. They called it shell shock. Continuous exposure to disease and death.

I guess what I'm saying is that I get where the "let's just get this over with" crowd is coming from. I don't think it comes from a wish to see death as it is sometimes portrayed. I think it's a genuine desire to stop the suffering. The actual question is, would it?