If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Is he a mind reader? How does he know why people are buying beer?
College-aged persons buying large quantities of beer at a gas station are going to do which of the following?
A. Consume the beer with other college-aged persons?
B. Spend a quiet evening studying and practicing social distancing at the library.
C. Other (fill in your answer)

The correct answer is A. This doesn't require Jedi mind tricks or Sherlock Holmes-level powers of deduction.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
College-aged persons buying large quantities of beer at a gas station are going to do which of the following?
A. Consume the beer with other college-aged persons?
B. Spend a quiet evening studying and practicing social distancing at the library.
C. Other (fill in your answer)

The correct answer is A. This doesn't require Jedi mind tricks or Sherlock Holmes-level powers of deduction.
Some may call it mind reading, but I think most people call it inductive reasoning.

How do I know most people call it that? I’m a mind reader.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Is he a mind reader? How does he know why people are buying beer?
Could be this?

In the Garden
1. Both garden plants and houseplants can benefit from getting a beer sprinkle every now and then. Sugar and yeast help feed beneficial bacteria in the soil, which is good for vegetables, flowers and grass.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
FYI - 99% of US citizens survived WWI.

I realize there are other aspects which do not compare to war. So, I agree comparing the virus to global war isn’t apples to apples. Still, survival rate isn’t the only problem with this virus, just like it wasn’t the only problem with WWI.

I think the focus on survival rates is part of the reason it is so deceptively dangerous. We don’t have natural immunity or a vaccine. This thing spreads like wildfire. It is novel, so we still don’t fully understand it or how to best treat for it. It mutates. And it is plenty deadly, despite it being less deadly to most of the young And healthy.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/so-how-deadly-is-covid-19/
Apples to oranges...What percentage of guys in the trench survived? That's what I'm talking about...97-99% of the people who actually get the virus will survive. In the trench, what percentage? My point is that these are vastly different things and I think it's disrespectful to the guys who fought in those trenches and on the beaches of Normandy to compare them. We should be able to compare pandemics to other pandemics, but it seems dishonorable to compare them to wars...Maybe it's just me.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Apples to oranges...What percentage of guys in the trench survived? That's what I'm talking about...97-99% of the people who actually get the virus will survive. In the trench, what percentage? My point is that these are vastly different things and I think it's disrespectful to the guys who fought in those trenches and on the beaches of Normandy to compare them. We should be able to compare pandemics to other pandemics, but it seems dishonorable to compare them to wars...Maybe it's just me.
I agreed on that point. It’s not apples to apples. My grandfather fought in the Philippines in WWII. Took a bullet to the leg. But he got around better than my other grandfather who nearly died from polio as a child. He had a horrible limp the rest of his life and was very limited physically.

Once again, I agree it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
My fear is that college football will treat it like MLB. The Reds has one positive case and they have cancelled the last two games. There is no way that there won’t be multiple positives on a 85 man roster which is mingling either the general student population on campus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
This reinforces my belief that athletes are at an even higher risk of contracting the virus outside of the structured environment of a college football program.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This reinforces my belief that athletes are at an even higher risk of contracting the virus outside of the structured environment of a college football program.

While I agree with you to some extent, a spike was bound to happen once students got back to campus. The $100 million question is, now that the expected has happened, can they get it back under control? Can they get back to 0 new cases per week? That answer will likely dictate what happens to college football this fall.