If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Also I have not seen where they are sending players home, their just not playing games.
Once schools postpone football, the incentive for on campus classes is going to start collapsing. There will be extremely few reasons to continue in person classes past October. Kids will almost certainly get sent home October through February, if not longer.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
While I think you're argument is ridiculous, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter at this point. We are simply unwilling to do what is necessary to contain this, if it can even be contained at this point. We had a chance in March, and half-assed it, and now IMO we have no realistic chance of stopping it or slowing it down. So might as well plow ahead and reap the consequences, whatever they're going to be. I read somewhere the other day that when all the major event cancellations started we were getting about 400-500 positive tests per day. Now we're getting tens of thousands of positive tests a day and we're sending kids back to school. If that doesn't tell us the horse is out of the barn, I don't know what will.

250,000 drunken bikers are descending on Sturgis this week, and I"m pretty sure they are not going to follow CDC guidelines. So they're all going to hop back on their scooters when they sober up and spread out all across America and take COVID-19 with them wherever they go. There is no more chance of containment, it is now in the hands of the drug companies.
March was too late. The time to stop it was in Jan/Feb. However, the president was too busy calling it a hoax, the liberals were too busy pushing forward with a sham impeachment, and the republicans were too busy fighting off a said sham impeachment.

Both sides heavily politicized it, the media ran with whatever misinformation they had. It was a colossal failure on all parts.

We as a society we’re not built for isolation so I’m not sure how well it could have ever worked. We don’t have the proper resources, education, and communication.

What’s the end-game? When will there be a vaccine? How long do we do this.

Darwin had a theory about this...

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Exactly. A friend of mine who leans pretty far left said we just need to do a "real" lockdown over a period of 6 weeks to " get ahead of this thing". And I my response was that we already had a lockdown that lasted 8 weeks.

As far as not taking it seriously. The company I work for is moving into our 4th straight month of taking the temperature of everybody who walks through the door, we also require everybody wear masks and have spent a not insubstantial amount ensuring we have plenty of masks and hand sanitizer on hand....as have lots of other businesses.

Sometimes I wonder just what kind of lockdown some people are expecting. You simply cannot expect a large majority of our population to sit in their house for 6 weeks, and I damn sure don't want to give the government the power to enforce such a policy at gun point.
If you think your company was alone in these steps go to Sams and try to by Clorox wipes to this day.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
So are you saying that the after effects are kind of like the flu? I hadn't heard that before. Btw, best of luck with conditions and hopefully they can get that all in order asap.

I know over 40 people who have had the virus and none of them, that I know of anyway, have any long lasting after effects. Some may as I haven't polled them all. Most are from my church and the others are my brother and my sister in law, both in their 50's and their families in their 20's. I know some will likely have after effects, but it sounds like we get those from the flu as well?

Btw, I don't think a single person on this board is taking this "lightly," we just disagree on how "heavy" we should take it.
I was going off of articles like this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ronavirus-heart-complications/?outputType=amp

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Season is going to happen, because Nick wants it to happen. So far, everything related to college football that Nick wants, Nick gets.

Alabama coach Nick Saban, along with two of his star players, pushed back Monday on the narrative that players are more at risk of contracting the coronavirus if the college football season is played this fall.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Frost of NU and Franklin of PSU have said the same thing.

Now if Gundy were to say something as obnoxious as "let play football" the cancel culture would be all over him to resign . . . sigh.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Trick is if you get a concussion, you don’t give concussions to the folks you come in contact with. Plus, concussions are what they are...viruses mutate and change as they burn through a population. On top of that, we know kinda what concussions do. A new virus is an unknown...think kids can’t get it? Well 97,000 have got it in the last two weeks. Get better? Well now some of the folks who “got better” have heart problems, lung problems or kidney problems related to the infection..but not everybody (see, we don’t know).

That’s why folks are timid.

Not saying that’s right or wrong..just saying it’s food for thought. I also know that this will have absolutely no impact on anyone’s opinion, because nobody listens to anybody about this Issue anymore.

Just felt like killing time (and I hadn’t written anything on OP for a while....)
Then why they hell do we play sports at all...anyone can get any virus at any time...
So your problem is that you still believe the press...especially press out of Washington. No one, and I mean NO ONE, reports factual news anymore, we have to fly basically blind and with logic based on statistics and facts...problem is we can't trust those that report them...not even so called "medical experts"...except maybe OAN ;)...it's is ALL filled with bias.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I love to scuba dive and it has risks.
R0=0

My good friend loves to rock climb and it has risks.
R0=0

People BASE jump and love it and it has risks.
R0=0

Playing football has injury risks and yet millions still love to play.
R0=0

"College Football players, if season is canceled, will go to parties, bars, workout in public gyms instead of being in a controlled practice with their teammates every day. The exposure for many may well increase."
A perfect example of sofa stuffing.

How many times will this happen in a bar?
View attachment 84752
I understand your opinion and I think we will agree we have vastly differing thoughts.

But you seem, IMO, to becoming more and more conservative/scared in your thoughts about COVID. Are you just staying at home all-day everyday? Are you planning to continue extinguishing all real-world social life?
I work in a hospital, bro.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
March was too late. The time to stop it was in Jan/Feb. However, the president was too busy calling it a hoax, the liberals were too busy pushing forward with a sham impeachment, and the republicans were too busy fighting off a said sham impeachment.
You're wrong. Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

The impeachment trial was over in early February, so there was time to start focusing better on the virus. Trump had already started doing something with a travel ban from China on Jan. 31. But Trump and most of his advisors, such as Kudlow, refused to take the threat of it any more seriously. The virus is new and different so it's been difficult.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Season is going to happen, because Nick wants it to happen. So far, everything related to college football that Nick wants, Nick gets.

Alabama coach Nick Saban, along with two of his star players, pushed back Monday on the narrative that players are more at risk of contracting the coronavirus if the college football season is played this fall.
In other words Saban said they are SAFER playing that being home...totally agree.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
Then why they hell do we play sports at all...anyone can get any virus at any time...

So your problem is that you still believe the press...especially press out of Washington. No one, I mean NO ONE, reports factual news anymore...except maybe OAN ;)...it's is ALL filled with bias.
Well actually I was basing my thoughts off of the medical experts in that article. I figure educated medical providers know more about the virus than myself or any sports message board poster.

Nov 6, 2010
This is the part that bothers me. I'm sure there is more we could have done, but my Bro in law was furloughed, my sis lost a large part of her business, I lost income, my son was sent home from school at spring break never to return, I couldn't get a hair cut, restaurants closed, church, movies, sports all stopped. This was supposed to be for 2 weeks while we "flattened the curve" The curve of new cases was flat, and deaths went down and the 2 weeks turned into 2 months. Okay, fine, all of that was necessary.

I just missed the part where we didn't take it seriously or half assed it. It was the most dramatic change we as a country have gone through since WW 2, so it sure felt like we took it seriously.

And BTW we have slowed it down. Whether we're talking new cases or deaths it is on the decline.
Hey, I got furloughed myself, so I felt some pain, and yes, there were some pretty drastic actions taken. But as @cowboyinexile said in his reply, there was no coordination from the top, and many actively subverted any attempts to slow it down. Hell, here in Omaha just today, the Kroger I go to finally implemented a mask requirement. And where we really missed federal level coordination was a plan with a timeline. The thing that made the actions that were taken so difficult to take was the uncertainty about when it would end. To really stop this thing it it's tracks, the actions would have needed to be draconian, including national guard troops to enforce. But it could have been much shorter in duration with a definite timeline. So, just some ideas off the top of my head that should have been undertaken,

1. Mask requirement to leave house, day 1.. Just like a seatbelt law, anyone out and about without one gets fined.
2. All air travel halted, not just international. Yea, I"m sure there would be a few deaths due to unintended consequences from this one, but I bet it wouldn't be the half million we're going to have from the virus.
3. Stock trading halted.
4. Quarantine enforcement for any interstate travel, no self quarantine which everyone including myself ignored when traveling from one state to another.

I'm sure there are others, but at this point, I'm against any of it, because as I said, it is just too late. If we had done a martial law type lockdown for 4 weeks, I believe COVID-19 would be virtually extinct in the US. As it is, we're going to have to just let it go and get tough. So let's have some college football!

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I'm sure there are others, but at this point, I'm against any of it, because as I said, it is just too late. If we had done a martial law type lockdown for 4 weeks, I believe COVID-19 would be virtually extinct in the US. As it is, we're going to have to just let it go and get tough. So let's have some college football!
If allowed, it will be interesting to see how long the games will last until so many players turn positive that a team can't be fielded. Masks and other precautions better work.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well actually I was basing my thoughts off of the medical experts in that article. I figure educated medical providers know more about the virus than myself or any sports message board poster.
God I wish you were right, but many of those folks have fallen prey to the old mighty dollar and their own self importance biases. I'm not saying many aren't right and ethical, but it's damn hard to tell which ones are and which are not. Months ago they said mask make no difference and that they actually made us sicker...now mask are in vogue...except for some "medical professionals" who STILL insist that mask suck and are making us sicker. Some said going to the beach was the best way to build immunities and that staying at home was a horrible idea because we aren't exposed to things that help us like the sun...others said lock yourself in and have all your needs delivered. Which is it? Depends on the "EXPERT" you believe from the biased articles you read. Best advice, use your own logic and figure that things likely fall in the middle between the two extremes. Wear a mask, clean your hands, require people to wear a mask and clean their hands in settings like football stadiums and limit capacity. IMHO these things are what needs to be done...not cancel everything and hide in our homes again. It's sad to cancel everything, especially since we have no clue when/if a vaccine will be available and if it even will be effective.

More and more will say it's not about saving lives to cancel football, because it's likely not going to achieve that goal at all. In fact it may actually be counter productive. Gatherings will still happen, they will be less monitored and controlled and they will result in more spread and more lives lost not less.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010

Both sides heavily politicized it, the media ran with whatever misinformation they had. It was a colossal failure on all parts.

We as a society we’re not built for isolation so I’m not sure how well it could have ever worked. We don’t have the proper resources, education, and communication.

If allowed, it will be interesting to see how long the games will last until so many players turn positive that a team can't be fielded. Masks and other precautions better work.
Like I said, doesn't matter who tests positive at this point, the horse has left the barn. If the kid is symptomatic, maybe the training staff holds them out like with concussion protocol, but why even test at this point. We've lost the containment battle, time to move on.

Nov 6, 2010

You're probably right in that even March was too late. I said we had a chance then, but I wouldn't say how much of a chance. The one thing I do feel pretty confident about right now though, is we have NO chance, zero. Containment as a strategy is a lost cause. I'd prefer the resources we're dedicating to mass testing and whatever meager contact tracing we're doing be diverted to the hunt for the cure.

Feb 18, 2009
From HS through college, more athletes are injured, some permanently, in the weight room and conditioning environments than will ever be affected by this virus. Staph is wildly contagious, moves through locker rooms like wild fire and can be fatal, yet we keep them operating everywhere year in and year out.

There are thousands of participants in little league sports right now, with parents and siblings in stands, all over the country.

If they cancel, fine but call it what it is. Fear of liability over anything health related.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hey, I got furloughed myself, so I felt some pain, and yes, there were some pretty drastic actions taken. But as @cowboyinexile said in his reply, there was no coordination from the top, and many actively subverted any attempts to slow it down. Hell, here in Omaha just today, the Kroger I go to finally implemented a mask requirement. And where we really missed federal level coordination was a plan with a timeline. The thing that made the actions that were taken so difficult to take was the uncertainty about when it would end. To really stop this thing it it's tracks, the actions would have needed to be draconian, including national guard troops to enforce. But it could have been much shorter in duration with a definite timeline. So, just some ideas off the top of my head that should have been undertaken,

1. Mask requirement to leave house, day 1.. Just like a seatbelt law, anyone out and about without one gets fined.
2. All air travel halted, not just international. Yea, I"m sure there would be a few deaths due to unintended consequences from this one, but I bet it wouldn't be the half million we're going to have from the virus.
3. Stock trading halted.
4. Quarantine enforcement for any interstate travel, no self quarantine which everyone including myself ignored when traveling from one state to another.

1. We didn't have a first wave in Oklahoma and Texas until about two months ago so locking down tighter than a drumb for us when NYC was in their wave makes no sense at all. Simply allowing everyone to go back to normal just as our wave started was indeed a mistake...but we aren't one area and things spread in different time periods in different places. They basically had marshal law in NYC and had the worst results in the entire country in terms of their virus death rate...by far the worst. So that didn't work either.
2. I'm not sure air travel with mask is a big spreader, those planes are one of the safest places to be in the amount of air changes they do. certainly travel to big cities with massive case loads should have been halted and mostly were.
3. Stock market trading? Wat The?
4. Not a good idea either...only for areas where they were in a first wave...wouldn't make sense for states like OK and Wyoming, SD, ND, all over most of the west sans Washington and Cali. You need enforcement on that when you are actually having a surge not when you are not.

On the last sentence I agree...but it was not that cut and dry in terms of keeping it from spreading in the various first waves (several months apart) the country has experienced.