'Inside Edition' crew gets robbed while reporting on San Francisco Bay Area crime

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
No idea came across my feed and I thought it was funny.
Yes, this has happened at least once before.

Total PR stunt.
I have no idea if it was a PR stunt, the article linked was dated back to 2018. Due to more recent fecal news stories out of there, nothing shocks me about this place anymore. I’m glad I got to experience it before it got this bad. Alcatraz was definitely the high point of my trip.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
What is truly heart wrenching to me is how far Seattle has fallen. I used to take the kids downtown all the time.
I’m a tolerant person and I knew needles were common in public. I mean the mental health issues make the addiction issues seem like peanuts. I know they go hand in hand but at least the heroin seemed to keep them pretty low key.
We were walking through a huge crowd and my 4 year old at the time was walking in front of me. Some freak going the opposite way picked her out if the crowd and stared her down, when they crossed paths, he stuck his out his tongue between two fingers at her. He must’ve been pretty high cause he didn’t see me coming. Nor my forearm. I just kept walking and left him on the ground. The crowd just kept going stepping over him. That’ was the last time we went there. 12 years ago.
Now there’s a tent city there with over 50k folks living in it. The police have been ordered to stand down. You get what you vote for so they lost my revenue.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I have no idea if it was a PR stunt, the article linked was dated back to 2018. Due to more recent fecal news stories out of there, nothing shocks me about this place anymore. I’m glad I got to experience it before it got this bad. Alcatraz was definitely the high point of my trip.
I've done Alcatraz 3 times, would do it again if I go back. The first time we were there was an anniversary of something or other and they had former guards and inmates stationed around to chat and tell stories. It was awesome. My wife and I talked to one former inmate for over 30 minutes, mostly just the three of us. We ended up buying his book at the gift shop.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
What is truly heart wrenching to me is how far Seattle has fallen. I used to take the kids downtown all the time.
I’m a tolerant person and I knew needles were common in public. I mean the mental health issues make the addiction issues seem like peanuts. I know they go hand in hand but at least the heroin seemed to keep them pretty low key.
We were walking through a huge crowd and my 4 year old at the time was walking in front of me. Some freak going the opposite way picked her out if the crowd and stared her down, when they crossed paths, he stuck his out his tongue between two fingers at her. He must’ve been pretty high cause he didn’t see me coming. Nor my forearm. I just kept walking and left him on the ground. The crowd just kept going stepping over him. That’ was the last time we went there. 12 years ago.
Now there’s a tent city there with over 50k folks living in it. The police have been ordered to stand down. You get what you vote for so they lost my revenue.
I admire your restraint by not putting the boots to the guy.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
It's a handful of things.

1) Defunding of mental health nationwide (especially since 2007 financial crisis) and California is part of it. The mental ill without family that can house them have no where to go, the funding has never came back. And Prop 13 does put a ceiling on property taxes (which I do agree with)
2) It is an expensive place to house people - limited city budgets, they deal with bandaid funding instead of stitches
3) Suburban municipalities often dump homeless, mental health and drug abuse in the bigger city.
4) The decriminalization move of personal narcotics. I agree with this in principal, but it is worthless without the mental health resource funding to go along with it. Now you have junkies self medicating with $10 heroin, crack, weed, booze and meth hits. I don't think incarceration is a good or cost effective answer, but no answer is definitely not an answer.
5) The heroin epidemic - a lot of the addicts got started with gateway painkillers that were over prescribed, and made readily available for resale.

There is no easy solution, I would start with mass mental health housing to get people off the street. I would advocate for temporary funding for private agencies with good records to expand operations.

Alot of these people are salvageable and able to live productive lives and becoming taxpayers instead of tax burdens, but it will take political gumption and fortitude to make facilities available and get these people off the street. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Republican candidate make a mayoral or gubernatorial push in Seattle, SF, or Los Angeles.

If you don't know, I live in Hollywood in a hobo and a feces free neighborhood.