1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Intermat lists top Ten College Wrestlers of the 2000s

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Seth25809er, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Wrangler

I personally don't totally agree with the list, but Jake Rosholt tops the list of Oklahoma State wrestlers at 5th and Chris Pendleton comes in at 10th. Both Johnny Hendrix and Steve Mocco received honorable mention.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/10428
    Kenny Orange Powers likes this.
  2. P4L

P4L Cowboy

Interesting list although I disagree with some of his assessment. Askren is ranked ahead of Pendleton with the justification that Pendleton was his kryptonite. Mocco is only an honorable mention though he was a 4 time finalist and 2 time champion (and a 137-6 record) behind Konrad who could be considered his kryptonite. Why use the justification for Askren, but not for Mocco?
    Seth25809er likes this.
  3. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Johnny Thompson was also Honorable Mention.
  4. piston1336

piston1336 Cowboy

It says at the beginning that all of the honorable mentions were two-time champions. So it sounds like they set two championships as the base for consideration and then discussed qualifications from there.

But you're right that Mocco and Askren have pretty identical resumes. Since these lists are arbitrary, my suspicion is they put Konrad on there to get a Minnesota guy on there. So then you've got two Iowa guys, two Oklahoma State guys and a Minnesota guy all in the top 10, which is pretty representative of the success the decade's three dominant programs had.

And I don't have a problem with them ranking Askren ahead of Pendleton (don't think you do either). Askren was a stud. If you take away his losses against Pendleton, he's in Cael Sanderson territory.
  5. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Wrangler

Agreed. How Mocco wasn't at least top ten is really hard to believe and as good as Pendleton was I don't think there's anyway he'd be on this list if he wouldn't have had Askren's #

I also feel like if Hendricks didn't lose to Perry his senior year he'd almost definitely be on the list.
  6. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Wrangler

I'm obviously not a fan of Iowa, but Metcalf was really good and it could easily be argued for him to be a bit higher IMO.