IP address capture

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
My oldest daughter and a friend are looking for apartments in Boston after this semester. One listing on Apartments.com caught their eye and emailed the listing agent.

She got a quick reply but it seems fishy to me. Saying it’s 1250$ per month, that she lives in Utah and used Airbnb for the payment that she calls “transaction”.

I’m 99% sure it’s a scam but I wanted to email this ‘person’ and totally confirm by using an IP tracer. Anyone have a link I can use to capture that? I know if the recipient of an email clicks on a link set up for that, it will grab their IP and I can find where this person is really from (guessing Africa, not Utah).

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
My oldest daughter and a friend are looking for apartments in Boston after this semester. One listing on Apartments.com caught their eye and emailed the listing agent.

She got a quick reply but it seems fishy to me. Saying it’s 1250$ per month, that she lives in Utah and used Airbnb for the payment that she calls “transaction”.

I’m 99% sure it’s a scam but I wanted to email this ‘person’ and totally confirm by using an IP tracer. Anyone have a link I can use to capture that? I know if the recipient of an email clicks on a link set up for that, it will grab their IP and I can find where this person is really from (guessing Africa, not Utah).

Thanks for any help!

If it is a scam, the person is probably using a VPN so it will be virtually impossible to track him. Not sure what you could use to see it though. Never have tried to do it but if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for any help!

If it is a scam, the person is probably using a VPN so it will be virtually impossible to track him. Not sure what you could use to see it though. Never have tried to do it but if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
What is the true email address you are replying to? Are there any links in the email that look fishy if you hover over them?
Check the headers for a large number of hops or odd addresses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk