1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Is it Unpatriotic to be embarassed of your Country?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by osupistolwhip, Feb 23, 2008.

1. osupistolwhip

osupistolwhip Deputy

I keep seeing articles about Obama and his wife.

He stopped wearing that flag lapel pin.
    She is prouder of her country than she has been since she was a child.

People keep saying this is unpatriotic.

I disagree. You can love your country and be ashamed of your governments actions. None of us are proud that our country slaughtered Indians or enslaved Africans. That doesn't mean we aren't patriots. If we are ashamed of our recent torture and warmongering, I don't think that makes us unpatriotic either.

2. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

You ask the wrong question, IMHO.

The answer to that one is, ABSOLUTELY IT IS WRONG!

Now, if you asked this question; Is it unpatriotic to be embarassed of your country's government? The answer from me is NO.

3. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

When she said that she was talking about being inspired as people have been for the first time since JFK. I'm sure no one here knows what its been like to be a black woman in the last 40 years. And I personally don't blame her at all because in my lifetime I haven't been inspired before now.

Also, about the pin. Eddie took his "10" pin off. It really doesn't mean anything. IF Barack didn't love his country he wouldn't be running for president and trying to change what this country has been in the last years. After 9/11 the approval rating of the United States around the globe was 90%. What is it now? 6%. What Barack can do in bring people together no matter race gender or party he has brought people together. Ever since Barack was a community organizer in Chicago he has brought people together not only in the streets of Chicago but in the senate. Putting plans together with the other side.

I'm not asking you to support him. I'm asking you to brush off all the allegations by the "conspiracy theorist" that start these rumors and really take a look at his record of bringing people together and bringing good change to the senate. Also, I want you to think if his name was Robert Jones would we even be having this conversation?

4. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

What she said was "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country". So the question is, has there been nothing else about her country that she has ever been proud of in her adult life?

5. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

Barack responded for his wife and said....

"Statements like this are made and people try to take it out of context and make a great big deal out of it, and that isn't at all what she meant," he said.

"What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America," he also said. "Because she's pretty cynical about the political process, and with good reason, and she's not alone. But she has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged."

6. osupistolwhip

osupistolwhip Deputy

I guess when I say that I am embarrassed of my country I meant that I am embarrassed that we elected and supported a government that would lie and torture.

7. Cimarron

You mean sort of like what the liberals did when they took Huckabee's comments out of context????????

8. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

I would say the media has taken both comments out of context.

9. Cimarron

You are on the political stage, you have speech writers that write these lines, you better be very careful about the words you use.

Do you have the paragraph and speech that Mrs. Obama used? I read Huckabee's and also based on what Huckabee had said several times, his intent should have been very clear. I'm not sure this is the case with Mrs Obama?

10. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

Here is the quote.
    “For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

She obviously refers to what I was talking about. The first time she has actually had hope. She is obviously proud of her country if she wasn't then why do her and Barack always talk about how their story wouldn't be possible in any other nation on Earth.

11. Cimarron

Then if they beleive this wouldn't be possible in any other nation on earth, then shouldn't she have always been proud of her country? Which is it?

Or is she only proud if Barack are winning? Will she be proud if he loses a fair election?

12. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

Did you not understand what I said? She was referring to having hope. If he loses we will still have hope because we have seen change already. Young people are coming out and having hope rather its for Ron Paul or Barack young people are finally coming out. If he loses and Mccain is our president then I will repeat her remarks and say I am NOT proud of our politics in this country because its been the same for 40 years.

Do you understand what she is saying now? As they have pointed out she was referring to her countries politics not her countries people.

13. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

Again, I am curious, what does Barack actually stand for?

Oh yeah, change.:rolleyes:

Can anyone add much to that? Nope. He just sounds great on the campaign trail, but change for the sake of change isn't worth it.

McCain has fought for and managed to create change in his career, and is NOT someone that holds to a stubborn ideology. His experience in foreign affairs ALONE makes him preferable to Obama. Who consequently has absolutely none.

14. okstateguy987

okstateguy987 Teamo Supremo

Obama is standing for something that he really can't represent.

"Change" is the most vague, and ridiculous thing to stand for in the American government. The founding father's wanted to make change as hard as possible, and for a darn good reason. If change were easy, we'd be in a crap hole just like Mexico.

Just what does he want to change? History has proven that wide-sweaping change in our government is impossible.

Now if he were running against corruption, that would be another story. But he's not. And if he was, he should probably go run for office in Mexico.

The only way I would vote for him, is if he pledged to try and disintegrate the political party system. Seeing as how that's pretty much impossible right now, there's no way I'm voting for him.

15. okstateguy987

What exactly does she think is so bad about America?

I'll reiterate a concept I read in another thread:

It is ridiculous and arrogant to run on the platform of "Hope", in the freest Nation on earth.

I think one or both of them do not understand America very well.

16. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

What exactly is good about our politics?

You know I could go on and on about the bills he has pushed to get passed and his policies but I wont because its a worthless cause talking to conservatives. Because you all have had the hope ripped out of you.

I guess you guys think that America is delusional because look at the national polls Barack leads Mccain by a nice margin. John Mccain has said we could be in Iraq for 100 years John Mccain has approved Bush's tax cuts. This is not what we need in this country. Lets let the American people decide who is more well equipped to be president and right now the American people are saying change is our next chapter.

17. okstateguy987

It's ridiculous talking to liberals because you have nothing new to bring. You repeat the same BS over and over, whatever people try discussing. You don't know how to debate. Bunch of blowhards of you ask me.

I'm just happy with my life right now.

And I think it's hilarious you actually believe I have the "hope ripped out of me". I live in the freest country in the world. I have nothing but hope for the rest of my life. I will graduate college, get my pick of jobs to choose from, and live a very successful life. I don't need some liberal to bring me down and tell me to be sorry for my life and the people around me.

America is the best country in the world to live in, because you bascially get what you want. If you want something, you work for it, and you'll get it. You're not going to get much handed to you, and I think it needs to remain that way. That's how we're most powerful nation in the world. And it's how we'll survive.

18. NZ Poke

NZ Poke Cowboy

Do you want to compare pictures of where you live to pictures of where I live??

That will make you slightly depressed ha ha :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like OSU and Stillwater, but based upon your generalizations, you can't have traveled much.

19. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

My father has worked at the same place for 26 years and just had to get a 2nd job at 60. Yes, a hot headed 20 year old can say what he wants but you haven't been an adult for long. I would love for you to go talk with people around the country and tell them that and see what kind of a response you get. Maybe you have money but not everyone does. The president we have now is great for the rich but what about the average American? We must have a president who cares about us all not only the rich.

20. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

I presume by your answer you travel quite a bit?

Please give us some examples of how our current President has demonstrated he cares for the rich only.