Zombie Is Mike Gundy Actually Any Good?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Edited since this was brought up from the dead: Interesting perspective a year ago, don't get too caught up in the title. I still believe that OSU's best chance at winning championships is if Coach Gundy backs off and takes on a CEO role much like 2011. And of course the jury is still out on Yurcich. November will be very telling.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mike-gundy-oklahoma-state-football/

Last edited:

El Jefe Macho

Banned
Banned
Nov 20, 2014
Stop calling me Jeff.
I think Mike Gundy is a good coach. Not one of the forever greats, but competent. The lion's share of the problem is that the buck does not stop with him, as it does with most programs. When you have an AD and booster that continually poke their noses in, or flex their muscles, it undermine's the head coach's authority.

Strong, talented coaches and coordinators want stability, a little bit of direction, and lots of latitude. They don't have that when they know the hierarchy reaches a couple steps over their HC's head.

Gundy's cupboard has been picked clean so many times. Word may be getting around that All in not well between Gundy-Holder-Pickens, so who wants to jump into that coaching staff?

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
Gundy's Rattlesnake Hunting Lease
Really, the author should have opened his article with this, rather than burying it under line item #12. It would have helped set the tone instead of people taking this piece as factual news rather than out-and-out TMZ style gossip:

12. You know what this list is full of? Rampant speculation, message-board gossip, and a grotesque anti-Gundy bias.
But hey! At least OP got a veiled reference. You got to know this Phillips guy is probably one of us, anyway.

Sep 23, 2010
This just proves you must always be paranoid freak to be a coach. You must always be trying to avoid the decline. Otherwise, it can happen in a hurry.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Are you guys even reading the entire article or writing it off because of its title? The question is a valid one that begs to be asked. He even goes on to say he hopes Gundy is still our coach next year.

El Jefe Macho

Banned
Banned
Nov 20, 2014
Stop calling me Jeff.
I always here this. What are these things they have done?

Provide a list..with proof.
Oh, that.

Instead of focusing on the small scale, like a list, look at the big picture. Is there another program you can think of that has this strange trinity involved in the football program? When ESPN, and the major sports writers continually call Boone for his input, is that not plain enough.

If you feel Gundy has the same autonomy as most head coaches, I think you're kidding yourself.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
Oh, that.

Instead of focusing on the small scale, like a list, look at the big picture. Is there another program you can think of that has this strange trinity involved in the football program? When ESPN, and the major sports writers continually call Boone for his input, is that not plain enough.

If you feel Gundy has the same autonomy as most head coaches, I think you're kidding yourself.
I would like a list (with your accusations, you must have plenty of examples). Do you have one?

As far as all coaches, I think they all have a boss (the athletic director) and the majority have overly involved booster(s). If you think that all coaches can run their program without any input from the powers that be, you are really naive. Football is the bell cow at almost every school (except maybe Kansas), there are a lot of people besides the head coach that make sure it is successful. We just so happen to have one major booster (that isn't afraid to speak his mind), which makes it easier for the press to call on.