1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by OrangeAggie, Feb 8, 2012.

1. OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber OrangeAggie Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

If you haven't seen what he's been doing with the Knicks, it's absolutely remarkable. He's become my favorite non-Thunder NBA player without a doubt.
  2. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Same here. I watched the last two games to see whether the kid is legit or not. He is. Mini Steve Nash with better slashing ability

He's the Asian Tim Tebow.

-or......rather....

Tim Tebow is the Asian Jeremy Lin (since Tebow was born in Thailand)

He and Marshon Brooks are my new favorite young, up-and-coming stars to watch
  3. HeartLike_JohnStarks

I just hope the Knicks fans don't start throwing him out under the bus once he starts getting a few bad games though. They are loyal and knowledgable fans no doubt, but they are quick to latch on and just as quick to throw them under the bus
  4. OrangeAggie

In what way are you comparing him to Tim Tebow?
  5. HeartLike_JohnStarks

1)He's become everyone's favorite underdog

2) Comes in as unknown underdog, with right situation (injuries to starters), then takes opportunity to come in and not only spark the team, but finds ways to win games for the team and just makes the team play better overall.

3) He's also a un-abasheddevout Christian

Its not just me. A lot of people said that on twitter after his 2nd game too
  6. OrangeAggie

I fail to see any real similarities. Jeremy Lin may be Christian, but so are probably 90% of the other players in the NBA. He's not in your face about it in the Tebow manner.

Jeremy Lin wasn't offered an athletic scholarship anywhere coming out of high school, whereas Tebow was the consensus #1 quarterback recruit in the country. Lin was undrafted, whereas Tebow was a Heisman winner and 1st round pick.

I see Lin as more of a true underdog story and a great cultural story in that he's breaking down many of the stereotypes held about the Chinese.
    Lafferty Daniel and Lab Rat like this.
  7. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

He can definitely play. He's also the prototypical D'Antoni point guard, like Nash was. I don't think he'll ever get thrown under the bus by D'Antoni, and he'll draw strong support from the Asian American community in NYC. I think it's a perfect fit!
  8. HeartLike_JohnStarks

I understand your viewpoint. Its not an outright comparison, just SOME similarities. Its mainly due to the sudden success and consequent cult hero/underdog thing

Here's a good article that can summarize this a little better

9. HeartLike_JohnStarks

"I am riding him like Secratariate" - D'Antoni
  10. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

Sure, D'Antoni is going to push Lin as hard has he can, but he's loyal to guys that buy into the system. Jeremy Lin is not Stephon Marbury. Plus, D'Antoni didn't even throw Marbury under the bus; Marbury crawled.
    p33man likes this.
  11. JoeHero

A/V Subscriber JoeHero King of the Andals and the First Men

I'm not sold. Most anyone can have three good games. Now he's gonna get attention from opposing teams and will be shut down. And the knicks will lose again and we won't have to hear the new york hype machine until the next get gets scores twenty for three games :rolleyes:
  12. HeartLike_JohnStarks

Props for bring up Marbury.
    Almost forgot about that dude
  13. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

never heard of him till SportsCenter last night. Awesome
  14. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

He was not on Harvard's team last year was he? I don't remember him.
  15. HeartLike_JohnStarks

How are you not "sold" yet? No one's making him out to be the next coming of Nash or something. He's just simply what the Knicks have desperately needed at PG in D'Antoni's system

He went up against these 3 PGs: Deron Williams (elite), Devon Harris (former All Star), and John Wall (former 1st round pick). Not to mention against Washington he was going up and finishing against 2 of the 7-footers of the Wizards.
    That's not a fluke to be a able to go up against 3 of the best PGs in the game and playing well against a pretty good Jazz team, and a Wizards team with an elite shotblocker in Javale McGee

I usually hate the NY media, but the Knicks haven't been good and truly relevant in a long time, and any TRUE NBA fans would rather want them atleast in the playoffs again. That likely won't happen this year but the Knicks have sucked this year , even with Amare and Melo. They have been utterly desperate this year for a true PG, and this is what this kid gives them.

That said though, I don't think this kid will continue putting up these numbers consistently (especially when it comes to scoring), especially after Melo and Amare comes back. Melo is probably going to go back to iso'ing and demanding the ball most of the team and mess up the flow that they have had the past few games under Lin
  16. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

He graduated in 2010 and went undrafted, but played on the Mavericks Summer League team in Las Vegas that summer. Here's a story from then: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5387547

He got some attention for holding his own against John Wall, who was the #1 pick that year. Though the Mavs didn't sign him, the Warriors did, but he rode the pine behind Curry and Ellis. He was a fan favorite in the Bay Area, as that's where he's from and they have a large Asian American fanbase. He also played in the D-League while with the Warriors.
  17. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

He's paid his dues in the D-League and on the back-end of NBA rosters for a couple of years. At worst, I'd compare his future to John Lucas III, who has become a nice role player for the Bulls. He's on an NBA roster to stay, but time will tell if he can average 14+ points and 7+ assists for the duration of a season, which is what the Knicks need. I understand your skepticism, but I recall the same skepticism around Steve Nash, too.
  18. JoeHero

"The next Steve Nash" is the phrase I've heard used to describe him the most the past four days.

He abused Devon Harris and two teams that give up 100 a game. You've got me convinced.

Right, only true NBA fans want the Knicks in the playoffs :rolleyes: The past decade has only been good for them fake NBA fans.
  19. JoeHero

Everyone is so quick to crown a guy after three games. Everyone should just settle down and let it play out. I mean I guess it's just the sports culture now and I should accept it, but with all the "Tebow is the greatest" "Ford needs to be fired now!" "Eli is ELIte now!" "The Celtics lost 4 in a row, they're finished!!!" "Tebow sucks trade him" I just can't take it anymore. I hope Lin is the next Steve Nash, but no one knows that. You can't tell from 3 games.
  20. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

How about 4?

Guy dropped 38 tonight without Carmelo and Stoudamire against one of the best teams in the Western Conference against one of the best players of all-time.