1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Just a thought on 06 FB record

Discussion in 'Bedlam & Flame' started by KCPowercat, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Pokes28

Staff A/V Subscriber Pokes28 Moderator

I will say that football betting is a game of chance. It has to be for Nevada to accept it as a betting proposition. Sure there are people that are better at it than others. Just like there are people that do very well at craps, or blackjack.

There are statistics of how teams play in certain situations and based on those as well as knowledge of the local betters (Example USC and UCLA are normally inflated in Vegas as so much of their money is from Southern California). Local numbers guys in various regions have a different set of spread money, so they end up with different odds.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Well yes and no. As for the book makers it is still a game of chance even given the inflated spread of teams like USC and UCLA if what you said is true and I'm sure it is. The odds makers set the spread to get 50% on both sides.

But for someone placing a bet, if you are astute enough to determine where the inflated spread is you have an edge and it is no longer a game of chance. This is why you see reports that tell what teams consistently beat the spread and consistently don't beat the spread.
  3. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

Now you call me a commie. Yeah, that's better.

:rolleyes:
    You just don't get it, do you? Violating Godwin's Law (using the Nazi analogy) is proof that you deserve to be banned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

Answer the question you keep evading... what do you hope to gain here? Do you hope to prove to us and have us all agree that KSU is the center of the sports universe?
  4. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

I was just using those as examples of other groups that follow those steps as banning people. That does not mean you are a communist or Nazi. Besides i hardly doubt that banning someone to a flame board is in any way similar to banning someone to Siberia or a work camp. The big looming question yesterday that I supposidly kept avoiding was "why do you care what we think about Bama vs Rutgers". I answered that on post 220 something. You can look it up. Now after I answered that, I guess the question I am now avoiding is "what do i hope to gain here?" By the way it's the first time you or anyone else has asked that question so it makes it a bit difficult to evade it. Look back at my posts in this thread and check how many times I have refrenced KSU. I bet in the 200 in some posts on here I have refrenced them maybe 10 times. Not once did I ever use those refrences with respect to where i think KSU falls in ranking in the NCAA. So why would you think the point of this post is for me to convince you that KSU is the center of the sports universe?
  5. RxCowboy

I looked back at your first 8 or so messages in this thread and counted no less than 13 "KSU" or "we" references.

Why do you care what we think? Answer it.
  6. Pokes28

The problem with your "Besides i hardly doubt that banning someone to a flame board is in any way similar to banning someone to Siberia or a work camp" statement now is that the comparative has been made and allowed to stew for a few days. What I'm trying to stress to you is that words have meaning and power even on a fan board such as this one. If you make an asinine statement, you better be prepared for people to be upset with you. If getting people upset with you is your goal, then you are a troll and will be banned.

On your avoidance of the questions: Why did it take you so long to answer simple questions? It wasn't as if you weren't here and posting, but you simply didn't or wouldn't answer them. You finally answered the one that I had been asking for days and pages. While I don't agree with your answer, I respect that you finally did give an answer.

The point of the matter is that in football they have what we call Mythical National Championships. That means that there is no realistic method to prove that the one that takes home the glass paperweight is really the best team in the country.

This whole discussion has really moved away from the initial point of your conversation which is a good thing.

Lastly, going back to the Bama versus Rutgers debate. As I stated before, it is too simplistic to say that one team is better than another team when there are so many variables in play. I've said from the beginning that if the two teams played that Rutgers would be the favorite. That's not as bold a statement as saying that they are the better team, but it is as definitive as this system allows or needs to be. Favorite doesn't mean better, if it did, then there would never be an upset. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that Baylor wasn't better team at the end of the year than KSU even though they beat KSU. They happened to be better that day. And that is the point. Just like the horrid movie is titled "Any Given Sunday" that means that at any given time, there is a chance that the team that is given little to no chance can play well and win. Chips and Salsa anybody?

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  7. RxCowboy

And my point is that if they had played in week 1, week 3, or week 5 in Tuscaloosa or a neutral site, Rutgers likely wouldn't have been the favorite.
  8. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

Look at post#221 the question is answered right there. It says in the white quote box above "Why do you care what we think on the issue?" Read my answer, print my answer, go get it tat of my answer (still not legal in OK is it?) and then finally be happy that I answered it a day ago.

How many of those KSU refrences did I write trying to push KSU as the center of the sports world as you put it. I think many of them stated the result of the OSU KSU game and the fact that it did not end on a final play of the game. How does that become twisted into KSU is the center of the sports universe?
  9. RxCowboy

Boy, you really have reading problems. Consider the following questions...

"Why do you care what we think?"

"Why do you care what we think on the issue?"

These two questions are similar, yet very different. One is refers to something very specific. The other is much more broad and global.

So, this thread started with you telling us what we should not think about our close losses last year. You have proceeded to tell us what our fan site is or is not, and what we should or should not think about several different things in this thread. So, I ask again, why do you care what we think? Because I'll tell you, I don't give a flying hoot on what folks on powercats.com or any other KSU fan site think. They are welcome to their opinion. Far be it from me to try to change it. You obviously care enough to try to tell us what to think. Why?

Answer the question.
  10. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

So you want to know why I care about what you think on life in general, sports, social issues, etc.....? I dont really care. I take it as many others do that the purpose of message boards is to share ideas, opinions, and debate. That is what we are doing here. You are trying to convience me of something and I have done the opposite. It really is as simple as that. I won't go nutty if you don't, in the end, think the way I do. You have put a lot of time in here trying to prove my logic and thought process incorrect. I would assume that you to will not go insane if in the end I do not change my stance on whatever the topic might be.

When you say "our fan board" I would assume you mean OSU fan board right? The problem is, is that you can't control that becasue you don't charge for it. You have opened this site up to anyone who wants to post here. You have to expect people to come along with varying oppinions from time to time. Believe it or not, even people who do not support OSU. Gopowercat.com is a KSU fan board because you don't find to many fans of Florida State who want to pay to visit it. However, you could get a whole rush of Florida State fans posting on here in 2 hours from now and you can't do anything to stop it.
  11. Pokes28

You are confusing pay with open. They are entirely different things. We have all sorts of ways of controlling membership and posting. At any given time for any reason at all, anybody on this board could be banned. It takes about 4 clicks of a mouse. We generally don't have to do it, but we do have some.

Look at this board and look at the lack of spam messages. We control that. Other boards have a ton of issues with it, but we don't. Why is that? It is because there are controls.

So once again, you are wrong on this subject. The very fact that you, me, or anybody can post here is a result of a lot of hard work by some very talented people and the continued support of the Student Store who helps make this free for everybody.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  12. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

Gopowercat.com also has all of those features (can be banned) but has the added benefit of preventing opposing fans from visiting the site. Tell me, just curious, how hard is it for someone you have banned from gaining entrance back into a specific area of your site by using 4 clicks of the mouse and getting a new screen name?
  13. jaxdahl

Staff jaxdahl Incompetent Assassin for Hire

This is an open site and we strive to keep it that way. We primarily cater to OSU fans, thus it is an OSU fan board. There is nothing stopping people from anywhere in the world (except maybe China) from registering on this site and posting their opinion. When people come here to stir up trouble, we have our ways of clamping down on that - you don't have to worry about it. The forums are divided up into categories so people can post about pretty much anything under the sun that falls under our code of conduct/acceptable use policy.

In fact, I'm going to institute a fee now -- everyone must pay $0.00 (payable to jaxdahl) to continue posting on this site. PAY UP NOW!
  14. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

What do you mean not stir up trouble? Do you mean use profane language, insult people? Or do you mean not agree with the thoughts of a majority of the members of the board? I have been banned to just this area of the board and I have in no way used profane language or personally attacked the members of this board. However, the opposite has been true for some of the other members of the board. The only thing I am guilty of on here is not agreeing with some of the thoughts of some of the other members. Where does it say in the acceptable use policy that you must not disagree with other members? Seems a bit odd.
  15. RxCowboy

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth, now. If this is true then why try to tell us what to think about our close losses? Why not simply tells us what you think about our close losses last year? No, you have another agenda, and you have once again evaded the question.

I think you will go nutty if we don't give you some kind of approval. Prove me wrong. Don't post another message on here in any thread about how good you think KSU is going to be. Prove me wrong.

You are absolutely, totally, and completely dead wrong here. This board may be free, but it is moderated. The moderators have banned folks before, and someone was banned recently. This thread was moved from the main sports discussion to the Flame board.

Moderators, prove it to him, banish him to the Flame board. Even if just for a day.
  16. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

If I am talking out of both sides of my mouth than you are to. You have responded to almost everyone of my posts. Why do you do that when you don't care what i think? Their are plenty of people on here that have no problem not responding to me. Why do you? Answer that question.

When was the last time I started a post about how good I thought KSU was going to be? I would bet it was probably sometime right around signing day for BB. I did it because so many people said no way, does Beasley and the others actually show up on campus.
  17. jaxdahl

Staff jaxdahl Incompetent Assassin for Hire

You seem very intent on finding out what the line is. My advice (not just to you but to everyone) is to not tread the line but stay clear of it. This *is* a moderated site and I can ban/suspend/censor/suppress anyone at my whims, whether be it that someone mentioned the color purple on a Tuesday or some arbitrary reason. There is no fairness clause, we moderators can do what we think is best. I can give a refund if you like.
  18. KCPowercat

Banned KCPowercat Banned

Can I get the refund in cash please? I am not interested in the line because I want to get right up against it. I feel I have been banned for just being a KSU fan not for what I have said as a KSU fan. Especially when I have absorbed the insults on here without reacting. If I would have lobbed that type of material at OSU fans on here then I would not have lasted a 1/2 hour. I respect your right to keep your sight clean. If I could just get some idea as to where I went wrong and why I was banned? Was it just on a whim or did I really cross a line?
  19. RxCowboy

If I were to guess, it would probably be right around the time you called us Nazis.
  20. SLVRBK

Staff A/V Subscriber SLVRBK Moderator

Here is my second posting of the purpose of OrangePower.com

The purpose of this forum is to promote the goals and interests of Oklahoma State University atletics. While we believe that sharing our thoughts and opinions with others is important, we do not allow discussions that clearly demoralize our team, our coaches, our recruits, or other fans. As fans, our first interest should be in our teams success, not our ability to say whatever we want without consequence.

You are allowed to post here only because we, the Mods and Admins, allow you to and it has nothing to do with this being a free board. If you decide that you do not agree with the board policy you are free to move along. If you are upset that OSU fans do not give your ideas the consideration you believe they deserve you are free to move along.

You have received multiple warnings that you are only here because we allow you to be here. Frankly, the vast majority of visiting posters would have given up trying to convince OSU fans that KSU and KU are better teams long before the thread reached 18 pages in length. If your only goal is to argue the same point over and over again take it elsewhere.