Just put the family dog down

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

poknround

Banned
Banned
Oct 25, 2009
Wabashaw, WI
Tough thing to do for sure. Had a 10 year old cocker spaniel that developed cancer. Diagnosed pretty early and progressed rapidly. Within a month of diagnosis he got hip deformities to the point he couldnt use the bathroom. I personally wanted life to take its course, but I couldnt watch him struggle the way he was. The day we had him put to sleep was very tough. Feels like losing a family member. Took me almost 2 years to get another dog. Now we have a Golden Doodle and he is just as great of a friend as one could hope for. He loves going camping and fly fishing with me. He will just sit and wait for me to catch one and then goes nuts when he sees them splashing around on the end of the fly line. But once I bring it to shore he just sits and watches me release the fish and then chases it once it starts swimming away.

He also sits like a person at the dinner table and looks like hes listening to our dinner conversations. When we finish eating, I put his bowl on the table and he eats his dinner while we finish our talks.

Im one of those who feels that gathering the family at the dinner table is a lost piece of family bonding, so its our most important time of every day.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Ours were all small dogs. A schnauzer and 2 bichons. Smaller dogs seem to live longer than big dogs. Seems like big dogs max age is 12-14. We have a 60lb. mutt now so I don't expect we will get 17 years+ out of him.
The losses we endure here throughout our lives is my biggest complaint with the management. When I get called back. I’m going to leave a strongly worded complaint in the suggestion box.