KD closing

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Had a prom there in high school in the mezzanine and some guy jumped off the roof while tripping on acid when I was a freshman at OSU. Memories.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2008
Saint Meinrad, IN / Edmond, OK
I never lived there but I had lots of friends who did so I was there often. I didn't even know Kerr was already closed, but since that was the guys side, no surprise that it had to be abandoned first.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2011
Oh man, memories as a wide-eyed frosh moving in in 98 a week early for band camp...feeling a little lost, then overwhelmed as the place became a complete madhouse on move in week. I lived across from a bathroom door for two years in there, with and without a roommate.

You could smoke in the common room on each floor, the mezz and in that coffee shop that was in the other set of towers opposite...what was the name of those? Remember having a cigar in the mezz and feeling like I'd arrived.

I still occasionally have nightmares about elevators falling...way too many times did one lurch, fail to stop correctly on the right floor, not work at all or have a mind of its own.

I think it was Taco Mayo when I was there, not Which, and was it always Cowboy Pizza? I thought it was Pistol Pete's but I may be thinking of something else (RIP Pizza Shuttle).

The communal ventilation system meant I always knew when grass was available, so did the RA but he was cool.

Hallway bowling, knowing people more by their door decor than their name, stumbling into said door after a post game kegger at Chuck and Bryant's...

Speaking of those two, good sophomore memory was getting blasted at their party house, making out with a chick on the hammock (I was quite large, so was she, sorry man) and having to keep mute about it for weeks (sorry guys). Later that night I thought I'd backflip off the porch railing, fell into the bushes and looking up to see Chuck dressed in a beaver costume (it was Halloween) with a very concerned look on his face.

I didn't have a permanent car until my junior year when I moved off campus...so I rode my bike at light speed everywhere, that Kerr bike rack was always full of rusted out heaps from past classmates. Summer of 99 I lived in a house behind Alley P that has since been torn down for the practice facilities...good thing as I fell into a hole in the floor once.

Kerr was the first time I had broadband, built up a huge collection of music shared on the network and via Napster.

Dumping people's clothes out of the dryers because they'd left crap in there all day or picking bottle caps out of the washer from the night before.

Getting high off campus at the house behind Hideaway then trying to shield my red eyes as I raised TwentySomething for munchies.

Wish you knew when you were in the good ole days so you could pause to take it all in. At the time I was worried about grades but little else...now I've got two young kids and a wife, job, mortgage, etc...but naturally in fifteen years when the kids are leaving for college I'll be looking back fondly at when they were little and mommy/daddy were their whole world, but right now it feels like an endless grind so I'm allowed to think fondly of my time in KD.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Oh man, memories as a wide-eyed frosh moving in in 98 a week early for band camp...feeling a little lost, then overwhelmed as the place became a complete madhouse on move in week. I lived across from a bathroom door for two years in there, with and without a roommate.

You could smoke in the common room on each floor, the mezz and in that coffee shop that was in the other set of towers opposite...what was the name of those? Remember having a cigar in the mezz and feeling like I'd arrived.

I still occasionally have nightmares about elevators falling...way too many times did one lurch, fail to stop correctly on the right floor, not work at all or have a mind of its own.

I think it was Taco Mayo when I was there, not Which, and was it always Cowboy Pizza? I thought it was Pistol Pete's but I may be thinking of something else (RIP Pizza Shuttle).

The communal ventilation system meant I always knew when grass was available, so did the RA but he was cool.

Hallway bowling, knowing people more by their door decor than their name, stumbling into said door after a post game kegger at Chuck and Bryant's...

Speaking of those two, good sophomore memory was getting blasted at their party house, making out with a chick on the hammock (I was quite large, so was she, sorry man) and having to keep mute about it for weeks (sorry guys). Later that night I thought I'd backflip off the porch railing, fell into the bushes and looking up to see Chuck dressed in a beaver costume (it was Halloween) with a very concerned look on his face.

I didn't have a permanent car until my junior year when I moved off campus...so I rode my bike at light speed everywhere, that Kerr bike rack was always full of rusted out heaps from past classmates. Summer of 99 I lived in a house behind Alley P that has since been torn down for the practice facilities...good thing as I fell into a hole in the floor once.

Kerr was the first time I had broadband, built up a huge collection of music shared on the network and via Napster.

Dumping people's clothes out of the dryers because they'd left crap in there all day or picking bottle caps out of the washer from the night before.

Getting high off campus at the house behind Hideaway then trying to shield my red eyes as I raised TwentySomething for munchies.

Wish you knew when you were in the good ole days so you could pause to take it all in. At the time I was worried about grades but little else...now I've got two young kids and a wife, job, mortgage, etc...but naturally in fifteen years when the kids are leaving for college I'll be looking back fondly at when they were little and mommy/daddy were their whole world, but right now it feels like an endless grind so I'm allowed to think fondly of my time in KD.
the Virtual Bean!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post, btw! I remember all that stuff. Did you ever eat at the Hard Wok Cafe? That place was super legit.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Willham was across the way. I spent my freshman year (99) on South 6

Pistol Pizza and it was pretty good for one swipe

poke84

Greenhorn
Dec 20, 2006
Oklahoma City
12th floor Kerr. The Penthouse Baby. Did they still have the keys painted on the vator doors?
Lived there for 2 yrs facing Drummond :love::love::love: even had the corner room my last yr on the floor. Lots of great memories up there being a freshman in 1980 and showing up a week early for Howdy week and being the only freshman on the floor. Lots of older guys who showed me the ropes. Will never forget it.

Dec 6, 2011

the Virtual Bean!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post, btw! I remember all that stuff. Did you ever eat at the Hard Wok Cafe? That place was super legit.
Yep! Great hangover food.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
RIP...KD...Cordell...Power Plant??? add what else has come down in the last 15 years....Price of Progress...things are definitely looking different...I hope this comes together and they stop for a five year breather or so at some point.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

great post, dude!

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Willham was across the way. I spent my freshman year (99) on South 6

Pistol Pizza and it was pretty good for one swipe
Best cheese fries on the planet. They fried them put a ton of cheese on them then sent through the pizza over to melt. But what knocked it out of the park was their ranch.