1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Keith Brumbaugh Statement released

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by cowboyclint, Aug 29, 2005.

1. cowboyclint

cowboyclint Cowboy

Stillwater, Okla. - Oklahoma State University’s basketball office released a statement Monday afternoon regarding the legal situation involving freshman Keith Brumbaugh.
    “I made a huge mistake,” said Brumbaugh. “I regret what I did and the damage it caused the university and my team. I assure everyone, it won’t happen again. I’ve already apologized to the coaching staff and my teammates, and I’d also like to apologize to the Oklahoma State fans as well.”

Contrary to what was earlier reported, Brumbaugh last week received a citation for an incident at a local retail store. It was inaccurately reported that he had been arrested for shoplifting.

“Keith has been and will continue to be disciplined for his actions,” said OSU Head Coach Designate Sean Sutton. “We do not tolerate this type of behavior from our players. It does not typify the representation that we expect from the student-athletes on our team. Our players have always exuded a great deal of pride, and consider it a privilege to represent the Cowboy Basketball program and promote a positive image of Oklahoma State University.”

No other discussion will be made on the matter.
  2. cowboyclint

cowboyclint Cowboy

its on okstate.com
  3. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Deputy

Glad to hear its not as serious as was first suspected. But does anyone know what "a citation for an incident" means?
  4. CaliforniaCowboy

CaliforniaCowboy Deputy

Time for another round of apologies from the bashing fans.

I just wish our fans would behave in the same manner that we expect of our players. (e.g., bite your dang tongues until an official report is released - the newspapers never ever get it right).
  5. okstate5968

Staff A/V Subscriber okstate5968 Orange Power Goddess

I hope he remembers the 2nd chance he just got when Eddie is running him to death.

Welcome to OSU, Mr. Brumbaugh. Hopefully the next time I see your name in the paper it's because you have a JamesOn Curry type year.
  6. osukiddoc

osukiddoc Cowboy

"citation for an incident" sounds pretty darned vague to me, but could include shoplifting.
    regardless, he messed up and needs to make amends for his dumb mistake.
  7. Pokes28

Staff A/V Subscriber Pokes28 Moderator

From what I understand things such as public disturbance are handled by citations. That means he's given a ticket and a court date just like a traffic violation.

At least that is what it means here in Jasper County Missouri.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  8. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

Whatever it means those of you that were ready to go ahead and call him a cab home, owe him an apology. Not because his actions were justified, but instead because your overreactions were not.

Clearly this kid made a mistake, and many made the cardinal error of believing what you read before the facts are clear. This has an ongoing theme to it, as it happened with Shaw, Willis, etc. So is that it now, are we going to assume the worst from now on, or are we planning to let things settle down to get the facts straight before we begin the tar and feather fight song?
  9. Aaron C.

Aaron C. AKA Shortbus

Well, I blasted him for his "transgression" but did not want to send him home, but those of you who seem to take every opportunity to attack the people criticising should also pull the reigns in as well.

He broke the law. What was the violation? Does it really matter? I think we all have a pretty good idea of what really happened.

He's still a Cowboy, that's good enough for me, let's move on and give him our support. If he messes up again, he'll be out of the program. It's our boat. As long as he still wants to ride it, let's let him on without relegating him to the back of the bus.

On a similar note, we're all Cowboy fans, so let's play nice and don't make me turn this damn bus around!
  10. jetman

jetman Cowboy

I believe that if you get caught shoplifting something under $50 and you are over the age of 18, you get issued a citation instead of being arrested. Not sure of this, but I think that is what happened.
  11. Bullet Tooth

Bullet Tooth Greenhorn

A citation is merely a fancy term for a ticket (or a really nice jet). Most misdemeanors are handled via citation in municipal courts. You can be taken to jail and still only receive a citation. In his case, whatever transgression was cited by the police was given to him in the form of a ticket, but he was not transported to jail. When a person receives a ticket (with some exceptions based upon the type of municipality is involved) technically they have been arrested. The person's signature acts as a P.R. bond for his/her appearance in court.

Prolly WAY too much info there.
  12. newpoke

newpoke Deputy

Don't want to get into a peeing contest here, but I disagree that he is "owed an apology." If what he did was bad enough to warrant him having to apologize to the coaches, players and all of OSU, then clearly he did something bad. Perhaps some--including myself--jumped the gun in passing judgement, but with all of the crap that has been going on with the football team and then to hear a report that he was caught shoplifting--which was certainly not beyond the realm of possibility--I think it was a natural reaction.

If an article came out in the paper about an OU athlete getting caught shoplifting, I doubt many on here would say, "ok, now let's wait until all the facts are in before we pass judgement on this guy."
  13. GodsPeace

NewPoke,

Try reading my post again. I said explicitely there is nothing that justifies what he did, but some of you were actiing like you personally wanted to pack his bags for him. I think it is a shame how fast some are to jump on a KID about something when we don't even know the whole story. Nothing excuses that in my book. We are not here to judge kids and determine who is and who isn't still a Cowboy. Again, by the standards I have seen on this, Curry's felonies would disqualify him from being here anymore. Some weren't allowing the kid to right the ship the way Curry did. Try some perspective.
  14. CaliforniaCowboy

CaliforniaCowboy Deputy

Well, it's painfully obvious who the bashers were... they're on here trying to defend their actions... pathetic.

Expressing disappiointment at a kids plight is one thing, but we don't need to be bashing our own with sanctimoneous holier than thou soap box rants.
  15. FWPoke

A/V Subscriber FWPoke An OP OG in the DFDub

Wow, you managed to contradict yourself and offer up an example at the same time. Impressive.

Personally, I was pissed at him, but also wanted to give him a second chance. Everyone deserves it. If this had happened before all the football team's problems, people would have reacted a bit differently, I think. When you hear about someone else messing up seemingly each week, you get to breaking point. Everyone has reached that point with the football team, and then when this happens in basketball, the pressure valve blows. Completely understandable. Let's move on.
  16. CaliforniaCowboy

CaliforniaCowboy Deputy

for the reading impaired, let me clarify...

We (osu fans and internet posters) don't need to bash our own (players) with....
  17. GodsPeace

Hey Cali,

I got you the first time, wasn't sure what the problem was, but thanks for clarifying. :D
  18. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

He could have went back to argue over something legit like getting charged wrong, or not getting the correct change back. Who knows for sure.....
  19. newpoke

newpoke Deputy

You're right. There is no justification for what I did to that young man through my careless and thoughtless words. I hope, in time, he can forgive me for what I said and did to him, and that healing can then take place. I have learned that no one should ever, ever say anything negative about a young person's actions; instead, I should offer support and nurturing, and try to help these young people to reach their full potential as human beings.

Again, I'm sorry for my pathetic, sanctimoneous holier than thou soap box rants. I am a little person. I just hope that, in time, Mr. Rogers, uh, I mean CC will forgive me. :(
  20. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

pronouncement

I'm afraid there's no life left in this horse. It's been beaten to death. Now can we move forward and start cheering for the good guys?