Keyes ?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Heard a caller today saying he has a certain setup when he is ready to pull - thus giving a "tell" to the D line. This is probably all over the pay forums?
https://twitter.com/adamlunt817/status/1176301146090156034?s=21

Nov 8, 2007
It’s by design. Gives LG head start on pulling. Your hope is the advantage outweighs the risk of being a tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can also be deception, though it was not in this play. If during the game the weak side DE crashes when he reads Keyes pulling, you can counter into an option play with Hubbard here. Fake the belly to the cowboy back, and all those helmets get shifted to the strong and short side of the field, with two helmets and three players to attack those two players. As has also been noted, Sanders could have checked to a slant or basically anything to Tylan and he either would have converted or scored.

Nov 28, 2008
It’s by design. Gives LG head start on pulling. Your hope is the advantage outweighs the risk of being a tell.
very skeptical that's true.

I've watched a lot of football over the last 50-55 years. In that period, I'd say very few coaches have been willing to tell a superior team where the play is going.

I personally think it's one of many, many mistakes that, in the bigger picture, was the inability of the offensive staff to adjust to much of any problems they encountered. I was at the NU-ILL game so it was hard to follow OSU/TEX but I've done some review of this game and it's stunning as to how inflexible the staff was. Whether that includes the head coach or not is up in the air but they need to take a hot look at themselves this week.

It's a shame b/c the D played about as well as they could and UT tried to give the game away. And it was there for the taking (again!).

UT is pretty good.

Nov 6, 2010

I've watched a lot of football over the last 50-55 years. In that period, I'd say very few coaches have been willing to tell a superior team where the play is going.
Obviously this, but I wonder if this is just a single play and Keyes trying to get himself in the best position possible, or if it really is a pattern/tell? Do we have more examples?

Jan 14, 2006
It's very common for pulling guards to be offset a little bit. Watch any team that runs a lot of power or counter. I'm shocked some of you haven't seen this.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX

I personally think it's one of many, many mistakes that, in the bigger picture, was the inability of the offensive staff to adjust to much of any problems they encountered. I was at the NU-ILL game so it was hard to follow OSU/TEX but I've done some review of this game and it's stunning as to how inflexible the staff was. Whether that includes the head coach or not is up in the air but they need to take a hot look at themselves this week.

It's a shame b/c the D played about as well as they could and UT tried to give the game away. And it was there for the taking (again!).

UT is pretty good.
They’ve had that alignment several times when they run power right. You think a goon on twitter can find that tendency and not the coaching staff? Doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If it's intentional and common, then why not just line the guard up in the backfield to begin with.
I'm guessing the teams that are the most obvious about it are also the ones that are the least successful doing it. Intentional or not, common or not, the coaches should have adjusted against Texas because it wasn't working.

Jan 13, 2005
It's this kind of obliviousness that drives me nuts. How many other teams "tell" so much?
Extremely common at all levels. I am a defensive line coach and I tell my kids to look at the knuckles. If they aren't white then its probably going to be a pass or a pull. White knuckle means the guy is probably going to try to fire off the ball because its a run.