Knowles knows...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
.... how to coach defense.

I'll admit that I was skeptical of this hire, but after today I feel a lot better about him. The in game adjustments, the different pressure and blitz packages are nice to see for a change.

The are still a few things to work on like offsides penalties, but the defense played A LOT better than i expected them to, especially against this veteran BSU offense. Good job guys!

im kinda disappointed that Boise State didn't run the statue of liberty today.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Also, they have to face our defense which could pose serious problems for them
I expected Houston to give them more trouble than they did. The #10 guy on the D line is supposed to be the best at his position in the nation and I watched him single handedly destroy Arizona last week. Didn't see much of Houston/TT though. I'm assuming that Houston's defense as a whole isn't very good.

Apr 2, 2008
I expected Houston to give them more trouble than they did. The #10 guy on the D line is supposed to be the best at his position in the nation and I watched him single handedly destroy Arizona last week. Didn't see much of Houston/TT though. I'm assuming that Houston's defense as a whole isn't very good.
Yea, it will probably be a shoot out. Our defense overall is better than Houston except obviously the d tackle.

I expect us though to get pressure on their QB and rattle him.

- I've been telling you guys that.:rolleyes:

We are going to give up an occasional big play, but I love the aggressive attitude - I'd rather go down givin em Hell than sitting back trying to make them grind it out. Much more fun to play aggressive.

He also has set schemes to utilize the talents of the players he has.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
We really struggled during the first quarter, but the adjustments Coach Knowles made were awesome. We were really struggling to beat their o-line with our base front. But we started beating them consistently when we started delayed blitzing and moving our defensive lineman around pre-snap. That pressure was a huge reason for the shift in momentum after the first quarter. I really don't think we beat Boise State with last years defense. I know we're only three games deep, but I'm really impressed by Coach Knowles so far.

We can look back now and say that hiring Holgorsen at OC had a major impact on our offense. It was a huge step towards becoming an elite program. Hopefully some day we'll look back at hiring Knowles and think the same thing about the defensive side of the ball.

Oct 30, 2007
We had 7 sacks yesterday against Boise State. We had a total of 30 sacks all of last year!

When was the last time we got this type of pressure against a good team?

Dec 6, 2013
The thing I like is that he has the defense looking like they know what they're doing. When was the last time you saw us pull off a well timed delayed blitz that got home?

Love that he is letting the D dictate to the offense. That was the best coordinated defense I've seen since the Jimmy Johnson black jersey days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
The thing I like is that he has the defense looking like they know what they're doing. When was the last time you saw us pull off a well timed delayed blitz that got home?

Love that he is letting the D dictate to the offense. That was the best coordinated defense I've seen since the Jimmy Johnson black jersey days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing on those delayed blitzes. I remember the last several years when we'd try that thinking to myself, I wish they'd just drop into coverage it took them so long to get there. These safeties really seem to have that timing down.