1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Kony 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poke4Life88, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Poke4Life88

Poke4Life88 Wrangler

2. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

This has been ALL OVER Facebook. Young people are really getting behind it, this is going to be big.
  3. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Free Roverto!!!

Before everyone goes crazy (even more than they already have on facebook), go read this.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Only ~32% of the money donated goes to the actual cause. A lot goes to other things, which increase awareness, I get that. So 32% of a ton of money is still good, but I'm not convinced. I think it is a worthy cause, but not sure if it is the right charity to give to in order to help the most.
  4. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

This is something that I have sadly been aware of for a long time, and one of the reasons I don't believe in isolationism.
  5. Fade

Fade Wrangler

6. Socrates

Socrates Wrangler

Increasing awareness is almost the entire battle on our front as civilians. If we are not aware, we don't even have the opportunity to do anything.
    thatsaplane08 likes this.
  7. Socrates

Socrates Wrangler

Increasing awareness is almost the entire battle on our front as civilians. If we are not aware, we don't even have the opportunity to do anything.
  8. Fade

Fade Wrangler

That is a profitable ruse for many charities, certainly. I'm not saying Invisible Children is a scam, but (particularly after my time working in the non-profit world) I'm skeptical that it's the answer, or the right place to donate for this.
  9. Socrates

Socrates Wrangler

I see your point, but what are some better alternatives? Any that you know of or could recommend?
  10. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

Writing to your congressman/UN Ambassador.
  11. colb

A/V Subscriber colb Hey, Jack.

People see that number and flip out. Go read the audit and or tax forms that IC is required to provide to the public.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/financials

IC brought in $13.7 million in revenue last year, before expenses. Of that, $8.1 million (or roughly 58%) was used for expenses. Most people jump to the conclusion that "expenses" mean big paychecks for the guys running the show. When, in reality, only 16.24% of the unrestricted 8.1 million went to "management/general". That's 1.4 million, distributed over a pretty big crowd. The IC team is pretty huge.
  12. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

Here's some information that takes a look at the other side of the organization. Lot's of red flags...people should always investigate any organization thoroughly before mindlessly sending donations to them via some slick/snazzy produced film.
    Get some well rounded information and make an informed decision.
  13. dds115

I understand that. I just don't think people should watch a 30 minute video and let that be the only information they have.
    BAMF cowboy likes this.
  14. PokesFanatic

PokesFanatic Cowboy

Sadly, 30 minutes is far more time than most will commit.
  15. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

On Kony 2012: I honestly wanted to stay as far away as possible from KONY 2012, the latest fauxtivist fad sweeping the web (remember “change your Facebook profile pic to stop child abuse”?), but you clearly won’t stop sending me that damn video until I say something about it, so here goes:
    Stop sending me that video.
    The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.
    Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.
    By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone [pdf]. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.
    The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.
    Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN ofcommitting unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.
    The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead. But killing Kony won’t fix anything, just as killing Osama bin Laden didn’t end terrorism. The LRA might collapse, but, as Foreign Affairs points out, it is “a relatively small player in all of this — as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence.”
    Myopically placing the blame for all of central Africa’s woes on Kony — even as a starting point — will only imperil many more people than are already in danger.
    Sending money to a nonprofit that wants to muck things up by dousing the flames with fuel is not helping. Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.
    Here are just a few of those charities. They all have a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another.
    The bottom line is, research your causes thoroughly. Don’t just forward a random video to a stranger because a mass murderer makes a five-year-old “sad.” Learn a little bit about the complexities of the region’s ongoing strife before advocating for direct military intervention.
    There is no black and white in the world. And going about solving important problems like there is just serves to make all those equally troubling shades of gray invisible.

PlatypusJojo likes this.
  16. okstate87

okstate87 Wrangler

these guys have been at this a long time. There is a huge movement to "cover the night" at oklahoma state. between friday and saturday, the school will be littered with kony2012. Most poster will probably be made by the students, not bought, but still. awareness is step one.

i have been invited to two letter-writing parties already. inhofe is already behind it, but we'll be writing to governor and our reps and coburn.

this is by far the biggest movement to stop the worst war criminal. i wish they weren't pro-military action, but i just want the man stopped.
  17. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Yes because every time somebody goes after him he murders even more children in retaliation. Sounds like a plan chief.
  18. dds115

Why the hell doesn't one of the kids just shoot him?
    PlatypusJojo likes this.
  19. kaje

A/V Subscriber kaje Let's Go Heat!

I don't care what anyone says about Kony. This guy is awesome. He does wonderful things for children.

[​IMG]
    NotOnTV, zachya and CrabStuffedFish like this.
  20. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Because kids are ridiculously impressionable and it's easy for Kony to put himself up as a prophet and be viewed as untouchable. The number of times he's managed to elude capture also helps add to the illusion. Those kids are probably more in awe of him than they are afraid of him.