Let's put away the torches and pitchforks!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
We're all PO'd that we lost another game to a team we should have beaten with a freshman quarterback.
It's not the first time and probably will not be the last.

It appears most of us have overestimated our team's chances this year in some sort of, "That's what fan's do" scenario.
Going into the year after losing so many cogs in the machine, our chances were being inflated by early, easy victories.

It's like golf.
You go out one day and you shoot the best round of your life. You think to yourself, "Finally! That's the way I can play everyday. It's the way I should play every day!
But, you don't.
And you just get PO'd and fling clubs and scream at no one in particular that you have great golf skills and you're having the worst day ever.

Then, after taking some time off of the game and a little self-introspection, you realize that you may just never be a top golfer. So, you realize that you're really not that good and you should just enjoy the round and the same score that you normally shoot.

Which sucks.

But you don't want to suck, so you change your swing and you change your grip..........and you have good shots and bad shots, but you still shoot about the same as you always have.

No. Wait!.......were we talking about football?

Uh.....nevermind.

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
I hate golf. The analogy is accurate unfortunately.
I want to see a team that is constantly striving for Big 12 championships, beating OU 4 out of 5 years, and making the final four and beating Alabama.
We're not doing that right now. and haven't for quite some time. I'm ready for a torch and a pitchfork and run a few people out of town.

Aug 28, 2009
I don’t pay my swing coach $5 million a year though. And if I did, I’d be very upset If he forced me to use the old set of hand me down clubs that have been lying around in my garage for years instead of the brand new set of Ping’s I just bought.

Aug 28, 2009
But I guess it probably wouldn’t matter because my caddy is a bumbling idiot who sits around and plays with LEGO’s all day. He constantly tells me the wrong yardage and keeps telling me to hit a fade when he knows I don’t hit a fade well.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
the pitchforks need to be getting sharpened up, the torches need to get dieseled up and we need to get into a full on pissed off mob mentality. This crap of running the same damn play to start every series is getting old. It's like a teacher that has been using the same notes to teach since 1979, it sucks.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Then maybe we should be asking why our recruiting classes are getting beat by "lesser" schools.
We are asking that. How the hell do you get beat out in recruiting by a scandal ridden Baylor program who just had a one win season? Imagine if we had a huge scandal here and a one win season. Our recruiting would be a disaster for several years.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
We are asking that. How the hell do you get beat out in recruiting by a scandal ridden Baylor program who just had a one win season? Imagine if we had a huge scandal here and a one win season. Our recruiting would be a disaster for several years.
Because our coach is complacent and has decided that it is not worth his time to court these high rated players. Plus, he is the hidden gem master that can get any 3 star and make him a 5 star. While we know this is delusional, it’s absolutely what Gundy tells himself.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Because our coach is complacent and has decided that it is not worth his time to court these high rated players. Plus, he is the hidden gem master that can get any 3 star and make him a 5 star. While we know this is delusional, it’s absolutely what Gundy tells himself.
again, conjecture and speculation......... you state an opinion as fact, when in reality, you have no idea what players OSU is in on, or courting, or the ins and outs of getting any of them to come to stillwater...... and you especially don't know his thought process or "what he tells himself"............

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
again, conjecture and speculation......... you state an opinion as fact, when in reality, you have no idea what players OSU is in on, or courting, or the ins and outs of getting any of them to come to stillwater...... and you especially don't know his thought process or "what he tells himself"............
http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/...cle_90c2d287-bda5-56f2-ac3d-b16625fc8f7d.html

“Either we’re damn good evaluators and the recruiting services don’t know what they’re talking about or we’re damn good coaches,” Gundy said. “One or the other, I don’t know which one or the other. I’m trying to figure it out.”

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It's all about the money and the lack of value and return being received from it. It's only a matter of time before these home field collapses and constant crumbling against freshman and third string quarterbacks start to take their toll at the ticket office. Barring a miracle turnaround by the program, the cracks in the revenue stream will start appearing soon.

Aug 7, 2006
It's all about the money and the lack of value and return being received from it. It's only a matter of time before these home field collapses and constant crumbling against freshman and third string quarterbacks start to take their toll at the ticket office. Barring a miracle turnaround by the program, the cracks in the revenue stream will start appearing soon.
I mean... There were good chunks of the stadium that were empty Saturday before the mass exodus in the 4th quarter. They're lucky the next home game is homecoming AND Texas or else it might have looked pretty bad.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That's a pretty damn fickle fan base if we can't get over a few losses after 3 of 4 10 win seasons...we will deserve what we get if we give up so easy.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I mean... There were good chunks of the stadium that were empty Saturday before the mass exodus in the 4th quarter. They're lucky the next home game is homecoming AND Texas or else it might have looked pretty bad.
Holder may have a real crisis on his hands soon. All of the ROI on the improvements in the stadium and other facilities are predicated on continued success of the program and in my opinion winning at least nine games year-in and year-out.

It is depressing for a fan to spend a ton of money on season tickets, transportation, stadium food and drinks, only to have to sit through a series of home games in shock and bewilderment at the product on the field. People won't put up with it for long.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
OSU...being mediocre is "our thing", and "wait 'till next year" is our motto, or at this particular time "wait 'till three years from now when we learn our defense and our STAR QB (who is currently on the bench) gets some experience

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I hate golf. The analogy is accurate unfortunately.
I want to see a team that is constantly striving for Big 12 championships, beating OU 4 out of 5 years, and making the final four and beating Alabama.
We're not doing that right now. and haven't for quite some time. I'm ready for a torch and a pitchfork and run a few people out of town.
It's not that we haven't done those things in quite some time. We've never done any of the things you mentioned on a repeat basis and I don't know of any 5 year period with four bedlam wins. That's fine if that's your standard, but you should know that even with Gundy unquestionably improving the program, you're asking for further improvement to something we've never done and only a handful of schools ever have (dominance over your rival, consistent conference championships, and regular national title appearances or the pre BCS equivalent).