LIFE IN 1910 (100 years ago)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 7, 2009
Oklahoma City
The year is 1910
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1910:
The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !
The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.
Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke
The American flag had 45 stars.
The population of Las Vegas was 30!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
Regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'
Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or
domestic helper.
There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
The year is 1910
One hundred years ago.
The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !
The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.
Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke
The population of Las Vegas was 30!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
Regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'
Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or
domestic helper.
There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.
With an average wage of .22/hr it took 18% of that to buy a pound of sugar and 63% of that to buy a dozen eggs. Today with the minimum wage of 7.25/hr (I know it's not the same as average wage, but close enough) it takes about 5% to buy a pound of sugar and 28% to buy a dozen eggs. Combine that with the fact that the male life expectancy is now 75+ and people don't die from diarreah much anymore, I'd say things are not too bad.

Aug 7, 2009
Oklahoma City
My Grandma was born in 1910. We'll be celebrating her 100th in October.
People were tougher back then, hadda be, very few safety nets like today. But I have long thought, it's not just how you handle failure that counts, it's also how you handle success. One thing for sure it is a much more complex and dangerous world now so what price success?

A different mindset perhaps. I once asked a favorite aunt, born in 1910, just what did my grandad (her father) die of in his 40s, back in the 1920s? And she replied: "I really don't know, he just wintered poorly one year and first thing we knew he was gone." She later explained that often people died of "consumption" back then, my translation being that the doctors didn't exactly know why either.

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
The year is 1910
One hundred years ago.

In 1910, there were 46 stars on the American Flag. As we all should know Oklahoma was the 46th star and the American Flag had 46 stars from 1908 to 1912. This is just one of many patterns of 46 stars that were use for this flag.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A couple of things history has taught us, things keep changing, things change faster as time progresses.

I wonder what will be incredibly different in the year 2110 that is hard to anticipate?

The only things we can count on is our Cowboys being a year or 2 away from the great year we've been waiting for and ou ahtletics will be on probation.

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
A couple of things history has taught us, things keep changing, things change faster as time progresses.

I wonder what will be incredibly different in the year 2110 that is hard to anticipate?

The only things we can count on is our Cowboys being a year or 2 away from the great year we've been waiting for and ou ahtletics will be on probation.
One thing easily observed is that people don't change, it's just the tools we use that change.

Oct 20, 2009
My Grandpa always said, "If those were the good old days, I don't want to go back to them".
He also changed my perspective on age when he told me he wished he could work as hard as he could when he was 65. He brought in his last crop when he was 85 years old.

Aug 7, 2009
Oklahoma City
My Grandpa always said, "If those were the good old days, I don't want to go back to them".
He also changed my perspective on age when he told me he wished he could work as hard as he could when he was 65. He brought in his last crop when he was 85 years old.
My wife and I have this friend whose mom is 95 and still working like there was no tomorrow, her (the mom) is named Maxine. About 10-15 years ago Maxine got busy buying and fixing up rental properties, in her spare time I assume. The daughter (our friend named Barbara) decided Maxine needed to be in an assisted living institution but Maxine was way too fast to fall for that scene. To cut to the chase, Maxine is today home living with her daughter and both are living to a significant extent off of her/their rental properties (Barbara's husband died last year). I spoke to Barbara a week or so ago and I asked about "Max," Barbara said Max was out working in the yard in 90-degree heat.

We know another lady around 95 who was named OK senior employee of the year about 10 years ago when they thought she was done. She flew to Washington and met with GWB along with other state winners throughout the country; said she was going to "kiss him right on the lips," I don't know if she did but I wouldn't be surprised. This lady still works part time at Baptist Hospital, she's an RN. And you talk about trouble: try this one for size. This lady has had TWO grown children commit suicide since we've known her and a grandson, this year, who also took his own life. In the approx. 20 years we have know her, I've heard her say one negative thing, when the grandson took his own life recently she said: "I don't how much more of this I have to take." Dorothy has an infectious laugh, one of the most inspirational people I've met in my lifetime, she is usually good for a joke and she is a delight to be around.

So we nearly always have a choice in life, we can sit around, feel sorry for ourselves or we can be like your grandpa and these two ladies.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

I remember hearing a speaker one time say they had gone back to an old document from the early 1900s where some of the leading thinkers of that day had prediceted what the future would look like. What they found was that the comic strips at that time were closer to being correct in regards to the future than these thought leaders.

(I can't remember the speakers name and I've searched for this information but can't find it anywhere to confirm, but it is a good story)