Lincoln Riley " We have to recruit better"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
https://www.foxsports.com/southwest...homa-sooners-at-2018-big-12-media-days-071618

Start at 3:30. Correction, it was Jen Hale. He says "we gotta recruit better". Why is this not calling out Mike Stoops, but Holder saying the same is a month long story? Gundy was just asked about it again.
I could have an explanation about how an AD calling out his head coach is different than Riley stating his program needs to recruit better, but you're obviously not wanting that response. So, please continue down the same beat up road of "the media is against OSU". Just keep your eyes on the road cause there's a lot of traffic on there.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Answer my question. How is this not calling Mike Stoops out?
Please let me clarify my position as a guest on this board. I post links to Tulsa World content, from articles, to photo galleries to tweets from reporters and columnists. I can also connect readers here with my Tulsa World colleagues. For this question, I would encourage you to contact our columnists, Guerin Emig and Bill Haisten. They both engage with readers on Twitter, @guerinemig and @billhaisten. E-mail addresses are guerin.emig@tulsaworld.com and bill.haisten@tulsaworld.com.

Just one guy not everybody. There is nothing to disagree with here. It is exactly the same situation and the media chose to report on it in a completely different manner. It's not debatable. The Tulsa World knows their pinned down on this with their ghost to my question. The media is weaponized against our program. More people should point this out and hold their feet to the fire. Everything is harder when public opinion is constantly hammered into form. Why can't they serve both markets without malice?
If any readers have any concerns about our sports coverage, I encourage you to reach out to our sports editor, Michael Peters. Twitter is @mgpeters23 and e-mail is michael.peters@tulsaworld.com.

This is an open invitation to everyone. As our executive editor Susan Ellerbach wrote in a recent column:

Let us hear from you. Ask us questions on decisions we make and what you see online and in print. Our “faces” will get you the answers.
If you have any questions regarding anything I have posted here, please quote the post so that I get an alert from the site. Or send a private message.

Jul 28, 2006
I could have an explanation about how an AD calling out his head coach is different than Riley stating his program needs to recruit better, but you're obviously not wanting that response. So, please continue down the same beat up road of "the media is against OSU". Just keep your eyes on the road cause there's a lot of traffic on there.
Go ahead, I'm anxious for your response. Please tell me how it's different. Superior calls out subordinate. Using the exact same words! Please oh please tell me specifically how it's different. Please share your brilliant mind with us. Paleeese

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Go ahead, I'm anxious for your response. Please tell me how it's different. Superior calls out subordinate. Using the exact same words! Please oh please tell me specifically how it's different. Please share your brilliant mind with us. Paleeese
Riley responded to a question asked at big 12 media days (a mandatory media event) "we need to recruit better". That infers that he is talking about the coaching staff as a whole. Holder went on a podcast, at his own discretion, and had a conversation about Gundy's lack of success in the recruiting arena, talking about and referring to HCMG y name. surely, you can see the difference..........

Jul 28, 2006
Riley responded to a question asked at big 12 media days (a mandatory media event) "we need to recruit better". That infers that he is talking about the coaching staff as a whole. Holder went on a podcast, at his own discretion, and had a conversation about Gundy's lack of success in the recruiting arena, talking about and referring to HCMG y name. surely, you can see the difference..........
That's weak sauce. Riley was asked specifically about the defense at about 3:30.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest...homa-sooners-at-2018-big-12-media-days-071618

Because the event was mandatory changes the meaning of the words???? LMAO. You've got to have motion sickness by now. Holder was asked the question by a guy who had written a half dozen stories leading up to the interview bashing Gundy's recruiting. Perhaps he wanted to elicit the response. Riley doubled down saying it twice in one day. He was calling out Mikey plain and simple. Holder obviously knows the entire staff is responsible for recruiting. He was also talking about recruiting as a whole and not Gundy specifically. Riley's comment was actually more specific.Anyone else got anything better than that. That was like a softball filled with helium.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Yes. You need to take the intern's advice and ask the writers themselves. Hell.. post links or screen shots right here. That would be entertaining, but right now you're asking the wrong person in the wrong forum.

And for the record, I actually think you have a little bit of a leg to stand on. Sure, it's a different scale compared to Holder/Gundy, but if Riley thinks Stoops should recruit better, I'd love to see them tackle that topic.

Jul 28, 2006
Yes. You need to take the intern's advice and ask the writers themselves. Hell.. post links or screen shots right here. That would be entertaining, but right now you're asking the wrong person in the wrong forum.

And for the record, I actually think you have a little bit of a leg to stand on. Sure, it's a different scale compared to Holder/Gundy, but if Riley thinks Stoops should recruit better, I'd love to see them tackle that topic.
Explain to me why the scale is different.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
That's weak sauce. Riley was asked specifically about the defense at about 3:30.

Because the event was mandatory changes the meaning of the words???? LMAO. You've got to have motion sickness by now. Holder was asked the question by a guy who had written a half dozen stories leading up to the interview bashing Gundy's recruiting. Perhaps he wanted to elicit the response. Riley doubled down saying it twice in one day. He was calling out Mikey plain and simple. Holder obviously knows the entire staff is responsible for recruiting. He was also talking about recruiting as a whole and not Gundy specifically. Riley's comment was actually more specific.Anyone else got anything better than that. That was like a softball filled with helium.
the different circumstances change the intent of the statements. Holder should have taken a page out of Joe C and Riley's play book and tried to be a little more PC about it. smart people, in big time positions try not to create tension w/in their staffs/workplace. If you don't think there's a difference then fine. seems pretty cut and dry to me the difference between saying "we" and saying "Mike Stoops". Read between the lines if you want, but it's a professional way to handle such questions............

Jul 28, 2006
the different circumstances change the intent of the statements. Holder should have taken a page out of Joe C and Riley's play book and tried to be a little more PC about it. smart people, in big time positions try not to create tension w/in their staffs/workplace. If you don't think there's a difference then fine. seems pretty cut and dry to me the difference between saying "we" and saying "Mike Stoops". Read between the lines if you want, but it's a professional way to handle such questions............
Circumstances determine intent? I don't think that word means what you think it means. Good Lord. We aren't debating the professionalism of Holder. The words were the same. Again, Riley's statement was actually more specific to a particular part of the team. Holders were more general so there goes that lousy attempt to spin.

Holders comments were long and nuanced over an hour plus interview something Joe C is never put through. Riley's made the comment twice in two interviews lasting less than 10 minutes with multiple journalists questioning. That is a different circumstance. Holder said he would approach differently than Mike does just after stating " Mike needs a ton of credit. He's matured into a real difference maker as a coach" That statement was construed into " Mike needs to recruit better" Something he didn't actually say. Then Holder goes on to say the real problem is the overall size of the budget. Totally different and in no way as direct as Riley's statement of " We need to recruit better". Far more direct and incendiary directed specifically at one side of the football after a few years of 4 star classes. The fact is, the media always go to lengths to attack Holder and Gundy and in particular their relationship for one reason. They are having a very successful run in the last decade and the gooner media want that to stop. Youre very naive if you don't recognize that fact.

Riley makes a very direct very specific statement attacking the defensive side of the ball in a very short Q&A twice in the same day. The media takes those short statements and adds many words to create a favorable context. Holder while praising the job Gundy has done waxed about how he might take a different approach in recruiting also pointing out he isn't out there recruiting and doesn't know what the landscape is like along with much more context that in the end took most of the heat due to budget limitations. Then the media boiled it all down to a paraphrased truncated phrase to create a favorable context and hammered him for it. That's the different circumstance. Wake up fellas.

Last edited:

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Circumstances determine intent? I don't think that word means what you think it means. Good Lord. We aren't debating the professionalism of Holder. The words were the same. Again, Riley's statement was actually more specific to a particular part of the team. Holders were more general so there goes that lousy attempt to spin.
ok man............ this is getting beyond redundant. only thing I can tell you is quit getting butt hurt over how the media in OK handles OSU compared to ou.............

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I picked the wrong day to quit drinking. OU needs to recruit better?!? I think they need to get better at coaching and developing the plethora of 4* defensive players they get every year.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
A quick look at their last 3 or 4 classes show them all loaded with 4 star recruits on the defensive side of the ball. I think what Riley should have said is "we have to evaluate recruits better" or "we have to develop recruits better".
As an OU fan I can tell you they are recruiting defense now on a whole different level than they did under Stoops. For example, Bookie Hiles was the first 5 star db signee since Roy Williams in 1998. That means zero 5 star dbs in the Stoops era. And Riley is about to get his 2nd if Hill commits here in a couple weeks. I think the 19 class has the potential to be the best db class since Stoops came to town too. And the 2018 defensive line class is the best one I've ever seen at OU. And to top that off, they are getting visits and serious interest in the kind of elite talent that they never really saw after mike stoops left for arizona. If they go and get a defense, its over for the big 12.