Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2007
I wonder if OSU is missing the boat by limiting it"s recruiting area to Oklahoma and Texas? I don't actually know that we are.

Oct 17, 2003
That's a good question, and yes I do.

Our current young QB is having a first year very close to Mason Rudolph's stats his first year. Will he finish as good as Rudolph? I don't know, but I am saying it's not uncommon. We also have a bunch of pups on the D line this year. Take away most, not all of the QB turnovers and have better run stops from the D line next year and we reverse the w/l results from this year.
mason had a much better/deeper supporting cast, and more on the way...please do not imply that overall our talent or recruiting has gotten progressively better (as it had the previous decade)....we have Chuba, Wallace, a lost defense and a QB with worst TO stats in conference that simply won’t be benched for any reason. Our D and O-Line are lost on every play, Special Teams is “eh”,

So i guess it all boils down to try another QB, a third rebuilding year with the same lost-looking coordinators, “wait until next year”? Without an exceptional cast of O and D recruiters we’ll see more of the same....

Nov 13, 2003
Austin, TX
Mistake 1: "We must prevent the big play"
No: You must put the quarterback on his ass!

Mistake 2: "We must run the ball"
No: Pass the damn ball when you can't run!

Mistake 3: "It takes a qb 15 months"
No: Some people given a chance can do better. Pull a qb when they don't have it. Preach "can" instead of "CAN'T"

Mistake 4: "They don't want to come to OSU"
No: Learn to set higher expectations for yourself and the program, recruit better!

Mistake 5: YOUR EGO!
No: Your ego has become narcissistic and is blinding you to what is really going on. You're getting out coached!

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
I will say that we are definitely a young team overall. And with youth comes mistakes, lack of quality depth and a lack of core team leadership.

So, patience is likely warranted for a year or two. I believe that Dru Browns experience would do wonders if he were given the reins for the next game. But, as was the sentiment last year...we have to develop our future qb. So, maybe we take our lumps this year with the excpectation of 2 or 3 more wins next year and playing for a conference championship in year 3 for Sanders.

If marked improvement in all three phases of the game and improved recruiting class rankings arent occurring by then, its time for new blood at the head coach level.

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
When I first read the recap of the presser on PFB, I wanted so badly to believe it. But I just can’t get there.

There is literally nothing happening in the program right now to be excited about. The defense is what it is. Special teams are still goofy. The offense isn’t even a shell of what it used to be which allowed us to compete with the big boys. None of that is just about this year either.

There is no positive trend, and now we’re double digit dogs in Ames Iowa. If someone can find a positive reason to believe this thing is going to get turned around please lay it out for me, I have lost faith.

Would love to see him prove me and others wrong this weekend, but a moral victory and a close game against the cyclones isn’t going to do it.
Yeah. Chuba and Wallace are the only good things about this team right now. Maybe Malcolm Rodriguez and Amen on the defense too.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I wonder if OSU is missing the boat by limiting it"s recruiting area to Oklahoma and Texas? I don't actually know that we are.
Considering our best player on offense and defense this year are both from Canada...and our bigtime QB recruit is from California...I'd say that's a no.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Oh, so the only job of message board posters is to bitch and complain. Got it.
These message board posters are customers of the athletic department who buy tickets and accumulate Possie Points as well as donate to the University. Damn right we are entitled to complain when something is very wrong with the product.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
20 seconds of anger, doesn't fix long term problems.

He should really get off the Ambien, bad shit.
Agree, he should get off of that. I tried that 6 years back. I don' recall any of what my lovely wife said happened. Walking around aimlessly, naked, at 3:00 AM - at least in the home, no ability to comprehend. She looked at me the next morn, directly in the eyes and "reviewed" my actions/my reactions to that drug. Never had it again - bad stuff fro me.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
So your definition of complacency is:

Between 2005 and 2018 we have AVERAGED a third place finish in the Big 12. In other words we have AVERAGED being in the top tier of the league for 13 years. During MG's tenure we have been one of the best teams in the Big 12, period. This included two 1st place, four 2nd place and three 3rd place finishes.

He has the third highest salary in the Big 12 - justified. He has what would be an average salary in the SEC - 5 coaches make more and 2 make about the same - justified again. He has a respectable 2-3 record versus the SEC in bowls and is 4-4 overall versus the SEC.
Agreed, salary references are ridiculous.

If you make 5m and the everyone else gets paid 4-6m to beat you....you can't expect that $ to guarantee wins. That 5m salary is (as you are saying) becoming dated.

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I've thought about it. Take away the turnovers and we're probably 7-0 and arguing about where we'll land on the initial CFB playoff rankings in two weeks. So while I'm not happy with where we are at the moment, I'm not blind to the fact that it's probably going to get a lot better, and sooner rather than later (even though I don't like using that word).

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Our problem currently is QB play...take heart, we have an outstanding one coming in next year...of course it remains to be seen and the proof is in the pudding. But, yep, I actually do think things can and will get better, much better.
Ah, yes. The ol' "next year, our QB will be SOO much better" ploy. Seems like I heard the same thing last year regarding our current QB. You people have very convenient memories (or lack thereof).

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ah, yes. The ol' "next year, our QB will be SOO much better" ploy. Seems like I heard the same thing last year regarding our current QB. You people have very convenient memories (or lack thereof).
All of that is certainly true...I'm just an optimist and feel that, for me anyway, it's a better way to live. We definitely need to improve this year...hope we do.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Speaking of convenient memories, You're one of those who was screaming that Corndog wasn't our best option last year...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
When was the last time that actually happened? We aren't hiring new coaches perpetually. We hire new coordinators and bitch because nothing changes, maybe try some position coaches.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
We've heard that about to Oline since Wickline left and I hear people saying it about Gleason now in addition to Knowles. So that why I say it seems like we're stuck in perpetual "wait until they get their guys in there."
He's talking about POSITION COACHES NOT PLAYERS........

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's pretty clear that guys like me (in my 50's) who have been around the program all their lives and have lived through many decades of really bad Oklahoma State football are clearly a little more patient with our head coach. That being said, I honestly do think we would suffer greatly from a head coaching change in the next year or so...in fact, I think it's inevitable that we will suffer when Gundy's tenure ends UNLESS we step up to the plate like Boone did in his lifetime in a big time way. It's going to take a major commitment like that (not sure how) to step up and be where we all want us to be. I think the heights to which he has taken us aren't something easy to replicate, not with just OU in the backyard, but Texas and other teams that have the ability to recruit in our neighborhood with much larger population centers and bigger home crowds on gamedays. One of the things that has always hurt us is the size of our fanbase...we need to continue to grow that. Tell me how you think our program needs to "adapt and move in a different direction" especially since the one we have been on has been so productive. I know that's a bit pessimistic, but I've been around a while.
In the Big 12 alone we have 4 great examples of coaching changes working out almost immediately. Texas, OU, Baylor, and ISU. I don't buy the "the sky will fall if we fire Gundy". And are you seriously insinuating that we don't have the funding for a top coach? Like others have said, we are clearly able to pay for this level of success judging by Gundy being a top 15 paid coach.

I understand there is a lot of competition for talent, but everyone has to compete. And if we settle into a feeling that "we can't compete with those guys, so why try", we have already committed to mediocrity. This is what Gundy has done, and will be his undoing. And I hope we can wake up soon enough for it not to be the program's undoing as well.
We have money for a coach but we don't have money for a buyout of 23 million dollars on top of remainder of salary and such. besides as many of said no matter how you feel about the coaching situation in regards to performance it's not been 2 to 3 years of under-performance which is the norm regarding coaching changes. You don't fire a coach for one losing season. I mean what up-and-coming bright coach are you going to get to come here when he's got the thought hanging over his head that one bad year and he's gone.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.