Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This reminds me of the Travis Ford debacle. I fear that this will limp along until we have a dumpster fire of major proportions. All too often that’s how several coaches have left OSU whether it be Eddie, Shawn or Ford. Gundy has us over a barrel and he knows it. It’s not about the program anymore - it’s about his ego and that’s a shame.

Oct 30, 2007
They're already ugly. And have been.
I meant with the fanbase. A lot of fans are agitated, but they're still supporting the football program. Fan support could really drop off if we have a sustained period of mediocrity.

Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
Hard to recruit to Stillwater but Boynton doesnt seem to have much trouble so that only goes so far. Yes it is basketball but still football has been more stable the last 10 years than the basketball program.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy.
I've heard this a lot over the past few years and with all due respect, I think this is really weak. Are we supposed to close down the program when he retires? What if, God forbid, Gundy died in a car accident on the way home tonight? Is Holder supposed to just pull the plug and say "No more football, everybody.". Eventually this is going to happen, he won't be the coach forever. I agree with OP that it needs to happen now, it should've happened the last time Tennessee came calling IMO.

I like the idea of getting a young, fired up coach that's had success at a smaller D1 school; Someone that can recruit. Sadly, I don't think the admin has the guts to do it, Gundy will be here until he decides to leave, not one minute sooner.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
Hard to recruit to Stillwater but Boynton doesnt seem to have much trouble so that only goes so far. Yes it is basketball but still football has been more stable the last 10 years than the basketball program.
Boyton’s young and hungry though. He said the other day he flies frequently a lot after each day after 6 to recruit.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy. Our recruiting budget+location+program status are a lot to overcome and I think we have reached our plateau. We are an 8-9 win a year program with some 10/11s and 6/7s mixed in.

I think you, like many of us, overestimate the appeal of OSU and Stillwater to national recruits.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of making a change for the sake of making a change. So I'll ask, who do you have in mind that would, do a better job than Gundy, want to come to OSU, and be affordable?
Matt Rhule came from Temple. Would you have aver agreed to that hire?

Apr 7, 2006
If Mike Gundy isn't the coach here it'll be because he retires. With an annually renewing 5 year contract, you can't buy out of it (we could never afford it) and if you didn't renew for 3 years the recruiting implications would be extreme. You'd essentially have to burn the place down just to try and improve it. You're far more likely to win more games and save money by other means (forcing assistant changes, recruiting changes, etc)

Oct 30, 2007
We recruit at a high level in basketball, baseball, wrestling, golf, & tennis. We even recruit football offensive skill players at a high level. It's funny how the "It's just too hard to recruit to Stillwater" excuse tends to come up with offensive lineman & defensive players. Maybe it has more to do with who is doing the recruiting than where they're recruiting to.

We'll never recruit like a blue blood program, but we're definitely capable of recruiting at a higher level than what we have over the past few years. Coach Gundy recruited a top 20 class in his first year when we were coming off a 4-7 season and playing in rustoleum stadium. There's no excuse for why he can't do the same thing now. He just needs the right coaching staff in place to do it.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I'm not sure about Gundy, and with his contract it might not matter anyway.

But there is plenty of young coaching talent out there that would come to Stillwater. I don't buy that argument. Would it be a gamble? Probably. But in the future it may be worth the risk.

Oct 30, 2007
We will be a short term stop for any coach other than maybe an alum
This was probably true in the past, but I don't think it is now. A top 10 salary will stop most coaches from leaving unless a blue blood program hires them away. I'm fine with that. If a blue blood program hires your coach away, it means he had a high level of success while he was here.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy. Our recruiting budget+location+program status are a lot to overcome and I think we have reached our plateau. We are an 8-9 win a year program with some 10/11s and 6/7s mixed in.

I think you, like many of us, overestimate the appeal of OSU and Stillwater to national recruits.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of making a change for the sake of making a change. So I'll ask, who do you have in mind that would, do a better job than Gundy, want to come to OSU, and be affordable?
Loser attitude. Hate it.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I'll bite.

This is actually pretty much spot on. The replies to this post are irrational, but understandable.. losing leaves a lingering bitter taste, no doubt.

Having said that, Gundy publicly proclaimed that he does not force assistants to recruit at the same level as other programs (more time at home; less time recruiting), whilst discussing how he has held on to Kasey Dunn for so long.

I love Stillwater and forever so. But we need to be realistic here.. Stillwater is NOT a destination that appeals to 4-5 star recruits..that's a fact. Unfortunately, that will probably remain forever true. It is what it is.

I've heard countless times from HC's of all OSU sports that the toughest part of their job (and by far) is recruiting to Stillwater. This is true for football, too. And because of this, combined with Gundy's lax recruiting policy, we have a downward trajectory that is clearly obvious to any sane OSU fan. Lax recruiting wasn't always the policy tho. See: Pre-2011.

Without question, lack of talent is the apex of all problems currently shrouding the football program, on both sides of the ball. It is what it is. It's not the end of the world. However, this is clearly the worst team in recent memory. And there's only one hope.. the current QB commit from California. If he doesn't pan out, I fear the 1990's will resurface, as success floats away into oblivion.

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Gundy has moved on from wanting to win a national championship. You don't hire Mike Yurcich, Sean Gleeson and Jim Knowles if winning is your priority. He would rather have coordinators he doesn't have to replace in lieu of coordinators that kick ass.

He seems to be more interested in proving he's smart in lieu of proving he's good.

He has been GREAT for Oklahoma State, but I feel our motivations are in different places.

-----------------------------------------
That being said, you don't forcefully replace a legend without an upgrade to replace him.

I also don't think Mike Holder is the right AD to make this call of replacing the coach; and the first priority is hiring an AD that would be hired by other P5 conference schools.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Gundy has moved on from wanting to win a national championship. You don't hire Mike Yurcich, Sean Gleeson and Jim Knowles if winning is your priority. He would rather have coordinators he doesn't have to replace in lieu of coordinators that kick ass.

He seems to be more interested in proving he's smart in lieu of proving he's good.

He has been GREAT for Oklahoma State, but I feel our motivations are in different places.

-----------------------------------------
That being said, you don't forcefully replace a legend without an upgrade to replace him.

I also don't think Mike Holder is the right AD to make this call of replacing the coach; and the first priority is hiring an AD that would be hired by other P5 conference schools.
almost with you... you Do Not hire D & O coordinators from the EAST COAST that have NO recruiting contacts in your geographical area. Both these guys should be thanked and let go, Today. Both fall at the feet of the head coach and were 100% - stupid hires. I can't believe he has not hired TEXAS coaches, 70%+ of the players we try to recruit are from...TX. How simple is that to Not understand.
I'm finally feed up w/Mullet Man, guess we are stuck with the little dude, but staff changes are now in order. Staring to look like another bad season, and that is not acceptable.

Oct 30, 2007
Boyton’s young and hungry though. He said the other day he flies frequently a lot after each day after 6 to recruit.
In other words, he works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.