Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
It’s not as hard as some might think to get rid of Gundy. Holder just needs to get involved and force some things like hiring, scheduling, etc. He can’t stand to be managed and told what to do. Gundy would leave on his own for one of those other jobs like he’s almost done a couple times already. Although his stock has taken a hit the last couple years and just continues to drop, but schools are always after someone with HC experience and past success, even if it’s way back.
Interesting point here is the Gundy everyone wants is the same Gundy that was told Holgerson would be his coordinator that is in charge of the offense. This horsecrap of hiring underlings with no voice is bs. Holder needs to get involved, now.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Gundy made a change early in his tenure, then changed back. That is the big change that is killing us. There is no question our recruiting is sub par for the Big 12. Has been for years. This shows up most in the OL. Big bad offensive linemen are swallowed up by the big boys of college football. We don't get them in the numbers to compete.

Gundy saw this early, brought in Dana H., and went to the wide open spread. We were able to run the ball because we could spread it out and throw it. That was the big equalizer for not having enough big bad OL. But slowly, Mr. Conservative inside of Gundy took over and he began to believe we could become a running team. He spoke about it often. So while we have been running the ball, we can't sustain enough drives, especially in the red zone, to win. Teams are stacking the line, playing one on one on our receivers, and limiting our offense. Baylor was a great example of this.

So two things have happened. We abandoned the spread and are not getting quarterbacks that can run the spread. We don't need dual threat qb's. We need qb's that can quickly and correctly read a defense, then make accurate throws. The counter to an all out rush is the Joseph Randle run. The holes are there not because of a great OL, but because the defense is on its heels defending the pass.

The spread offense was the big equalizer we had for a lack of recruiting. It covered over defensive deficiencies. It covered over sub par OL's. We came within a eye lash of playing for an NC with it. Gundy changed it, and it is killing us now.
Gundy didn't bring in Holgorsen, he was made to accept it. Something needs to happen like that again

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Anyone think Gundys policy of first year players being unavailable to the media might have something to do with our recruiting challenges? I cant remember when he instituted that policy but it seems like it was a couple years after he had two solid recruiting classes.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not coming at you, but I heard the bozos on Fox talk about this alot and reality is that they had a good recruiting class on the way when the scandal broke and kept it. They were never punished at all. This wasn't a school that had the death penalty (as they probably deserved) this is a school that had some dismissals and coaching changes with good players waiting in the wings. The year that they were awful was due to injuries. They have a huge recruiting advantage that we'll never have - they're within 3 hours of 15-20 million people.
This^ Waco is nearly smack dab in the middle of what is called the Texas triangle (I call it Texaplex) between Austin/San Antonio, Dallas Ft Worth and Houston and they are likely to get better and more recruits than nearly everyone else sans others schools in that triangle (A&M, UT and them). The population of the Texaplex is positioned to be 35 million by 2050. Stillwater is at least 4 hours from the northern most portion of Texaplex…We will have to rely on Texas recruits that either want out of that area or aren't in it. Interestingly our two best players this year appear to be Canadians. So it's not like we aren't looking under some rocks.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
One thing seems to be painfully obvious now...and it's that Gundy started the right guy last year. That, unless Brown is some world beater we are yet to see.
The “right guy” went 6-6 and there was zero development accomplished for the future. We are now suffering through all of those growing pains and are wasting another year of Chubba and Tylan.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The “right guy” went 6-6 and there was zero development accomplished for the future. We are now suffering through all of those growing pains and are wasting another year of Chubba and Tylan.
He went 7-6, but what's a bowl win? I don't think SS was the right guy then or now unfortunately. Hope he proves me wrong with development but I'm afraid we need to find "the" guy still...none of our "guys" have ever needed this much "development," they typically prove themselves right away (aka Weeden vs Colorado, Roudolph vs Baylor then ou)...I get the frustration...we all are. If there is a bright side to this we might get to see both Chubba and Tylan in Cowboy orange next year as well.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
He went 7-6, but what's a bowl win? I don't think SS was the right guy then or now unfortunately. Hope he proves me wrong with development but I'm afraid we need to find "the" guy still...none of our "guys" have ever needed this much "development," they typically prove themselves right away (aka Weeden vs Colorado, Roudolph vs Baylor then ou)...I get the frustration...we all are. If there is a bright side to this we might get to see both Chubba and Tylan in Cowboy orange next year as well.
Tylan more likely Chub

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Can we just have THIS Mike Gundy back? The one that actually had some fire and and wanted to win games, posting up incredibly yardage and point totals and nearly taking us to a National Championship game? The one NOT worried about his hair, smoothies or slamming social media??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1571599268541.png

I'd say this looks (sans the hair) pretty similar to that guy...just needs to make better qb decisions (as always)

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I've seen about enough. We have declined pretty consistently for years. The biggest reason I can see (as well as many others) is that our coaches can't recruit well. I believe our last top 25 class was when deforest was cheating for us in like....2009?

Let's be honest....Baylor got good the first time from cheating. But this time? It's from Rhule being a great coach.

We need better leaders for this program. We are paying more money for our coach than OU was for the majority of their run the past 2 decades. Let's fix this OSU.
You lost me at "We have declined consistently over the past few years". We had 10 wins the season before last. If we fire the best HC in the history of the program after a 10 win, then 7 win, then whatever we have this year, you won't have many good coaches that would touch this gig.

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
Here’s the problem with getting someone to replace Gundy. If we get someone that turns out to be really good (Les Miles, Jimmy Johnson) this is just a stepping stone job. If we get someone that wants to stay we’re probably not winning anymore games than we are now. There’s a reason we hire so many ex-OSU people to these positions.
Les Miles would walk from Lawrence to Stillwater to trade jobs right now. This program is light years from where it was when Les was coaching here before. We will always be a stepping stone to the elite programs, but the elite jobs are becoming fewer and fewer. Years ago, when the SW conference existed Arkansas would have easily taken our head coach, not these days. I know that we are as good of a job as Mizzou. Hell, if Gundy had been offered the Ohio State job he would have jumped last year. There are always going to be better jobs, but facilities wise we are on par with anybody in the country.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I always get upset when Gundy talks about bringing in somebody to run "our offense"....it always sounds to me like he is saying "my offense". He said that about Monken, he said it about Yurcich and he said it about the current guy. OSU has developed a reputation for offense and Gundy deserves a lot of the credit for that, but the celebrity of that has gone to his head IMO.

Aug 25, 2009
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy. Our recruiting budget+location+program status are a lot to overcome and I think we have reached our plateau. We are an 8-9 win a year program with some 10/11s and 6/7s mixed in.

I think you, like many of us, overestimate the appeal of OSU and Stillwater to national recruits.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of making a change for the sake of making a change. So I'll ask, who do you have in mind that would, do a better job than Gundy, want to come to OSU, and be affordable?
This! I said the same thing today. I’m definitely not happy. We could go recruit a new coach sure but there is no one that’s going to stay in Stillwater for 15 years and be committed. They will come, win some games and go to Tennessee or Arkansas, and we start all over. There’s no way this is better than what we have now. I love Stillwater but we can’t act like it’s one of the greatest attractions in America.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I don’t think parting with Gundy is the answer. However, he HAS to get his edge back.

We went to being conf title contenders ‘09 - ‘17 with a couple rebuilding years between them. I’m losing faith in SS. Ever since Weeden, I’ve always liked a pro/passing QB over a dual threat - though I really miss ZRob. Our defense used to have a couple nasty players sprinkled around too.

Aug 25, 2009
What stands out to me was watching Lincoln in their pregame interview with Joel Klatt 2 wks ago in his office. He showed Joel a 4 vert film play and said “we practiced some of these throws for an entire practice”. That’s why a potential Heisman QB 3 yrs in a row is part of that system. Throwing 100s of back shoulder passes, fades, slants etc. Spencer can barely throw a fade bc he’s young and maybe we aren’t practicing the right stuff or the right reps. (I know it helps having 3 Jrs take over the reigns and all 3 1st round qBs) but why can we not run plays to our strengths? With Blackmon and what Baylor runs it’s bomb. bomb. Then run for 50? We run 1yd bc we run 98% on first down so every box has 9 dudes in it, then no gain on 2nd down then incomplete bomb attempt over 3 safeties. I just don’t get the lack of creativity, energy, fire and adaptations
I think Spencer is decent and has a chance but I think in his head he is a gift to the world. I know he was a heck of a player in Texas but he has to realize everyone he is playing against now was too in their respective states. His decision making is bad, his passing is bad, and we have failed to get him ready. I know it’s his team but if he can’t do it then put Brown in and let him realize what happens if you can’t perform. I get it that he’s a freshman qb but he’s played the game his whole life. His throwing is awful

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
It's hard to take him seriously when he looks like Fabio, the NASCAR edition.
I don't disagree but it gets us attention...some ire...but definitely attention. People know who we are nationally directly because of the rant and the stupid mullet...love/hate here.
And with all that attention we're still sitting at 1-3 in conference play...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.