1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Major world news - Osama Bin Laden Thread

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Chairman of the Board, May 1, 2011.

1. O Face

O Face Sheriff

2. Pokeabear

Pokeabear The High Horsemen of Horticulture A/V Subscriber

Re: Major world news

Oh they are, but what can you do? Just be glad they told us. I have seen video on Aljazeera, of the compound where the tail section of a huey was hanging over the wall, where the seal team blew it up as it had to make a hard landing due to mechanical problems.

3. cowboyfan12

cowboyfan12 Mmmmmm... Bacon A/V Subscriber

So, who is up for a movie about this. Directed by Spielberg. Starring Chuck Norris, Sylvestor Stallone, Arnold Schwartzanegger, Mr. T., and maybe mark wahlberg, with Samuel L. Jackson as president Obama? any takers.

4. cowdad249

cowdad249 Deputy

I shouldnt say anything but I am not very good at holding my tongue. During the "celebration" that I was watching on ABC the people were chanting "USA, USA, USA...." the camera panned over to a group of black girls and they were chanting "OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA". Now I am sure they got caught up in the moment but the more I thought about this the more it bothered me. Then I flipped over to Fox and they said that the major contributing factor that resulted in the killing was Bushes mandates. We are all americans republican or democrat, man or woman, regardless of race we are all red white and blue. All are blood red and we all sacrificed loved ones and "people" lost their life for us.

5. Cobra_PC_Poke

Cobra_PC_Poke Cowboy

I also read that part of the reason for the sea burial was so no sort of memorial tomb would exist as a terrorist "pilgrimage" site.

6. FightingtoWin

FightingtoWin Deputy

7. stated

stated Sheriff

Who is responsible?

DevGru(Naval Special Warfare Development Group) belongs to the Joint Special Operations Command, an extraordinary and unusual collection of classified standing task forces and special-missions units. They report directly to the President and operate worldwide based on the legal (or extra-legal) premises of classified Presidential directives. Though the general public knows about the special SEALs and their brothers in Delta Force, most JSOC missions never leak. We only hear about JSOC when something goes bad (a British aid worker is accidentally killed) or when something really big happens (a merchant marine captain is rescued at sea), and even then, the military remains especially sensitive about their existence.

"Today's achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people. … Tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it's the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place. Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." PRESIDENT OBAMA

8. stonewallpoke

stonewallpoke Demon Brigade A/V Subscriber

Okay, so let me get this straight: most people think it wasn't a "great" speech because President Obama used "I" and "my" a lot?

Check yourself real quick: if you were in charge, and you got bin Laden, you'd be grabbing your crotch and giving the press the bird, screaming "I'm the greatest f###er here!!!". Nothing he said with "I" or "my" was untrue. And he gave credit where it was due. Try not to nitpick everything the man says because of your knee-jerk reaction to his political views. Bush would've given a similar speech in his own way, and conservatives would've been ready to print it on commemorative plates.

I thought it was a great speech because of what it was about, not necessarily because he said it. It was concise and to the point, and it framed the moment in perspective in the last paragraph quoted in the above post (by stated).

What boggles my mind is that we need to politicize this thing so soon. I know it's going to be a major political tool later (Vote for me: I killed bin Laden, motherf###ers!), but let's just take this time to be proud of the troops and of America: if you eff with us, we'll get you and justice will be done upon you.

9. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Territorial Marshal

Well said.

10. cowboys_r_us

cowboys_r_us Deputy

As a staunch conservative Republican, I'm going to echo what others have said - this isn't a political matter, it's a reason for our entire country to celebrate. Who cares how the speech was phrased? Can we not put that aside and appreciate the fact that our special forces are Americans. There weren't a team of Democrats or Republicans that entered the compound and killed Osama bin Laden, it was a team of American soldiers. Of course Obama will consider this a tremendous achievement during his presidency. Guess what - it is. It is a tremendous accomplishment for everyone. Give everyone associated, from the boots on the ground to the leader, credit. Well done to all involved.

It disturbs me how divided our country is.

This honestly reminds me (on a sports note) of winning a monumental game and having fans complain about a playcall. What a sad life some people must lead.

11. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

Well said

12. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Territorial Marshal

Also very well said.

13. Darth Sensitive

Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee A/V Subscriber

What, you didn't see the footnote to "his body was buried at sea"? (Except for his head, which the President shall carry on a pike into all campaign events)

14. dezul

dezul Freelance Sperm Donor A/V Subscriber

I want to see his Certificate of Death. I don't believe it till he can produce a valid Certificate of Death. :p I want the long form too.

On a more serious note. Awesome job getting that f#cker!

15. Rob B.

Rob B. Twizzard of Oz A/V Subscriber

No you got it crooked.......it wasn't "most" people. Just me. And my comment wasn't politically driven whatsoever. I just thought he could have removed himself for a few minutes to give absolute credit to the people in the trenches.

16. SGT Steck

SGT Steck Whitetail Slayer A/V Subscriber

I really think the speech was turned into a campaign speech. Obama deserves none of the credit, it was my brothers and sisters in uniform that did all the work and the guys in the intelligence community. The comment that HE directed the CIA director to make it his #1 priority. Are you kidding me that was thrown in for campaign reasons all the way, do you really not think Bush did the same thing?

This is a victory for all the families that have suffered from the events of 9/11 and all the American people. And mostly it is a victory for any of us who have been away from our family and friends for years doing what we can overseas. Great news was ruined by a campaign speech IMO.

But extremely grateful Osama is gonna rot in hell.

17. okstate0303

okstate0303 Sheriff

Let's relish this and stop bickering. Let's remember this day!

18. ryerye

ryerye Cowboy

[QUOTEObama deserves none of the credit][/QUOTE]
    Look I'm a conservative through and through but how can you say Obama doesn't deserve any credit for this? Yes the men and women of the military deserve to have most of the credit but decisions made by this administration and the administration before put that seal team in a position to kill the bastard last night. Saying that Obama doesn't deserve any credit is simply ignoring facts IMO

19. Cardsfan09

Cardsfan09 Wrangler

God Bless America, Bush, and Obama.

20. ostater2319

ostater2319 Deputy

Everyone else needs to stop bickering but SGT Steck can say whateverthehell he wants to! Thank you for your service SGT and God bless you and your family.