1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Major world news - Osama Bin Laden Thread

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Chairman of the Board, May 1, 2011.

1. PistolPete'sMustache

PistolPete'sMustache Sheriff A/V Subscriber

Re: Major world news

Obama deserves credit for re-focusing on Afghanistan and the search for Bin Laden. A supermajority of the country supported Bush going into Afghanistan to find Bin Laden and to take on Al-Queda. The Taliban became part of that mission. Where Bush lost alot of people was the Iraq situation that had little or nothing to do with 9-11. Obama specifically campaigned on refocusing on Afghanistan and the search for Bin Laden, and even said in one of the debates that he would go into Pakistan if necessary, without Pakistan's permission. He did just that. McCain actually criticized him for that in the debate. Obama was right on that and he deserves credit. When people say "well he didn't actually kill Bin Laden," it's a cop out. You can say that about any president ever and even military generals and commanders who are usually key in strategizing, but not actually on the ground. A mission like that took more than one or two people. There is plenty of praise to go around.

He gave credit to the intelligence people, and the military who executed the mission efficiently and effectively. All he said about himself was that he made the call to authorize the mission, which he did. His speech wasn't even a speech, it was more of a brief to the American people and the world about what happened. An Obama campaign speech would be over an hour, not the ten minutes or so he spoke Sunday night. Can we stop pretending that he gave an "I'm so proud of myself" Donald Trump-like speech? He did not. Not even close. Deficits and tax policies are fair game. Lets take this military victory as a positive all around thing for the country.

2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

I think the only people Bush lost on Iraq were those who had been sleeping under a rock. We had been dealing with Iraq on a military basis since Iraq invaded Kuwait. So yes, it had little to do with 9-11.

3. stated

stated Sheriff

78% of Americans ? It was a big rock I guess. What it was, was a good job of selling the idea that IRAQ was involved in 9-11 (don't make me pull out the quotes from Powell, Bush, Cheney etc.). I think the only people NOT lost on IRAQ were those nowhere near the rock.

4. Cimarron

Iraq was about a whole host of things and it stretches back to the Iraq invasion of Kuwait and U.N. sanctions. 9/11 just simply increased the pressure in dealing with it.

And yes it was a big rock. Lot's of people were lead to believe a lot of things that were simply lies and half truths. How many on the left believed and still believe that Bush caused 9/11!

Regardless of 9/11 do you think we would or would not have increased the actions against Iraq?

5. osupride97

osupride97 Ambassador of Quan A/V Subscriber

The source who gave up OBL's courier name:

1. was caught in IRAQ during the Bush years
    2. was held and interrogated at a "secret black site"

Obama has blasted GW and wanted an end to both wars. Now we have proof that some of the Bush policies were instrumental and correct.

6. Pokefan

Pokefan Territorial Marshal

But if the mission had gone bad or the gamble had been a bust, then OBAMA would have taken all the blame, A'La Jimmy Carter. bottom line the Buck stops in the oval office. The troops got the credit from the President. No commander ever pulls the trigger you of all people should know that the grunts do the work. The command makes the decisions and gives the orders.

7. osupride97

osupride97 Ambassador of Quan A/V Subscriber

If the mission had gone bad, there would not be ONE word in the media. No way would they let their god take any of the blame. And yes, I'm calling him a god, little g, because to date I can't name a thing the media has said he has done wrong. He is the almighty in their eyes.

If the buck stops here, then why does he continually blame Bush for the bad economy, no jobs, etc? One day I would like to hear him take blame for SOMETHING!

8. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Yep, GW was doing the right thing contrary to what the liberals and the media want to say.

9. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

Wait. So because a Yemeni Al Qaeda operative was caught at the Iraqi border more than a year after we invaded, you are now saying that this is proof that we should have gone into Iraq? And if he had been interrogated at some other site, this is proof that we would not have gotten the same information?

The Iraq War was what it was. I don't recall GWB saying that we are attacking Iraq with the goal of starting a civil war there which will draw in Al Qaeda and allow us to capture some of them a year later. I'm glad those things happened after the fact, but they are not "proof" of anything.

10. Cimarron

But, but... It's Bush's fault!

11. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Obama is just trying to get re-elected and he uses bush as a scapegoat for when something goes wrong and than he spouts off something about change. Its all smoke and mirrors with this guy. He will keep running up the deficit and when the next president gets elected than he will bare the burden of unstoppable inflation and the greatest depression of all time. It will probably end up being a republican who has to bare the blunt of it. Clinton was lucky to get in office after bush so he could ride the coat-tails of bush senior's economic policy. Obama got in after bush junior who had to deal with the carnage of wall street and all the terrorist activities. Go watch the distinguished gentlemen with eddie murphy that is Obama's life story.