1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Marcus Smart

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CPTNQUIRK, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Anaranjado

A/V Subscriber Anaranjado Shaolin Style

yeah, i wasn't necessarily promoting markel at the pg spot, just saying he has some experience there. i really have no idea who will be our starting pg this year.

these arent my projections for starters, just who can play each position. not in any order.

pg - smart, brown, guererro, forte
    sg - smart, bwill, brown
    sf - jp, bwill, brown, nash
    pf - nash, cobbins, dwill, soucek, murphy
    c - cobbins, dwill, jurick

we will have a pretty versatile lineup regardless of who ends up starting at pg.
  2. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

Yeah Ford definitely has a lot of options...we should only be playing 8-10players next year...that looks like a "logjam" though. Especially at the 4/5 when you consider that JP has played a lot of time at 4 in the past.

We will have 12 guys who either have played significant D.1 minutes or are almost guranteed D.1 caliber players.

If Dwill comes back, Jurrick is healed, and JP is able to play the whole season (NCAA scholly problem) then Ford will have some decisions to make because 12 guys is to much to have without redshirting any of them.

I think Soucek, Forte, and Murphy could all potentially see a redshirt. Not all 3 but maybe 2 of the 3.

Although I think we could use Forte's 3 point shooting immediately...

Murphy and Soucek could both redshirt though... that would leave us with Nash, Cobbins, Dwill, Jurrick, and JP who all can play the 4/5 and have done so in the past.

I just hate it at the beginning of the season when Ford seems to keep switching his lineups and can't decide who is the starters. He should know by the time the season rolls around (after the exhibition games) who his 8-10 guys are going to be.
  3. piston1336

piston1336 Cowboy

I think that's about right. I expect Soucek and Murphy to redshirt. Czech should have redshirted last year if we didn't have the depth problems. I expect he'll definitely redshirt if DWill comes back.

And I don't expect Forte to redshirt. He'll be a perfect piece coming off the bench and he's Ford's type of player. Plus, I think Ford realizes he only got Smart since he offered Forte (and not as a package deal, sort of thing), so I think he'll give them an opportunity to play together early in their career.
  4. Anaranjado

i guess it is refreshing to know that we will finally have some solid, experienced depth.
    god bless the walk-ons, but i dont want to see them unless its a blowout.
  5. Runs Deep

Runs Deep Deputy

It looks like we have signed a JUCO PG Kirby Gardner out of CA. We will have to wait and see if how much he can contribute. We need a solid PG to be engine that runs this team, getting us in the right set, making assist, and making the other players around them better because they are on the court.
  6. bacowboy

bacowboy Deputy

Doubt Soucek redshirts.
    PlatypusJojo likes this.
  7. Anaranjado

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...tates-marcus-smart-can-be-a-great-point-guard
    another article about smart playing PG. i'm pumped.
    goto 1:15 on the video to see him talk about smart

sorry if it has already been posted
  8. 65POKE

65POKE Wrangler

9. PokesPeak

A/V Subscriber PokesPeak Lizard King

how did we land this guy? i know we had the Eaton connection while recruiting Nash. did we have any inside track on Smart, or did Ford just hit the jackpot?
  10. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Forte and him are bruthas from anotha muthas and they had both had mutual interest in us and although we offered Forte along with Smart , it was for legit reasons (ie precedent in KeitOn) and they both felt the same way apparently
  11. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

Ford is a lot better recruiter than Coach.

But if he can show us he can at least win games with these great recruits then he could be increase his coaching image fast..
  12. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

That's a safe bet.
  13. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

It's oSu, you know we gonna win sum games.
  14. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

I just want to see good bball and wins. Whatever combination of these guys that takes I am happy.
  15. Anaranjado

16. Anaranjado

17. GodsPeace

Anyone else get the feeling smart could be a walking triple double at full starter minutes?
    PlatypusJojo likes this.
  18. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

He seems like an Iverson type of player that plays at 1000 miles/hour and lays his heart all on the court. That alone can make the team so much better without being able to quantify it. Oh, and not to mention dude is like a poor man's DWade what with his body type, ballhandling, and body control
  19. GodsPeace

Thats
    That sounds like leadership, which I think we have lacked since Eaton, Harris, Dove etc.

Our best squads have not lacked for leadership.
  20. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

I could see the trio of Brown, B. Williams and Cobbins teaming up to form a core of leadership on the squad. Those three are extremely close. Nash will be a year older and more experienced. And Marcus Smart sounds like the missing piece to the puzzle. Looking forward to this year. No way we miss the Dance, IMO.
    PlatypusJojo, osuwhit and Anaranjado like this.