1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Marijuana discussion

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by ksupoke, Jun 7, 2012.

1. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Wrangler

The exception being if you were in the Choom Gang back in the 70s.
  2. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Wrangler

[​IMG]
    NYC Poke likes this.
  3. POPOKE

POPOKE Cowboy

Do you honestly think companies test for poppy seeds? Did I misunderstand that statement?

I think the problem with this argument is that you assume any one who smokes pot, is a pot head. If pot were legal, do you not think that the there might a population of working, responsible adults that would recreationally use it just like they do alcohol? Would you not want to hire the person who enjoys the occassional happy hour beer? Would you not want to hire the person who enjoys a six pack on Sundays while watching football? Are those persons a liablitly?
    pokesmoke16 likes this.
  4. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

Yes, you misread it. They do not test for poppyseeds, poppyseed muffins cause false positives when urine testing for opiates.

Where did I say that? I said I wouldn't want potheads working in my pharmacy, they would be a liability. Urine screening is one way to keep them out. If they can't lay off the weed long enough to pass the pre-employment urine screen then they are likely enough a pothead that I don't want them in my pharmacy.

Sure. But again, if they couldn't lay off of it long enough to pass the screen then I'll pass on hiring them.

It is doggone near impossible to know who is a true occasional, social drinker before hiring people. But if there were a reliable test for alcoholism you can bet your butt I'd use it before hiring someone to work in the pharmacy where they would be a liability.

There are a growing number of companies that are refusing to hire smokers and obese people because they increase insurance costs. It isn't a stretch to think that some companies might not want to hire drinkers, either.
  5. POPOKE

POPOKE Cowboy

6. ksupoke

A/V Subscriber ksupoke I've never studied a HS recruits tape

I have no standing to debate the effects of 2nd hand mj smoke, but I wonder if any of our resident health experts can explain the apparent dichotomy between 2nd hand mj smoke and 2nd hand cigarette smoke. Seriously curious about this now that it has been raised.
  7. Anaranjado

A/V Subscriber Anaranjado Shaolin Style

you win
  8. Anaranjado

A/V Subscriber Anaranjado Shaolin Style

images (2).jpg
    ksupoke likes this.
  9. Heart Smiles

Heart Smiles Wrangler

I am not certain what your specific question is. Traces of chemicals of tobacco smoke can be detected in urine samples of non-smokers who are exposed to tobacco smoke.
    It took large numbers of nonsmoking subjects who had spent years with smokers to gather the staistics to prove causation of second hand smoke to lung cancer.

The THC in marijuana might offset some of the negative effect of the increased tar and carcinogens in marijuana. I saw a small study that indicated that some of the tumor growth factors were less in a lab model with the use of the THC. That is a long way from a double blind research study.

The nonsmoker breathing in chemicals from either product is established. The effects of second hand marijuana smoke over a long period of time to me is a reasonable question. I ran a brief search on medline and I could not find any information on the matter. I would be a lttle surprised if there is any research on that specific question.
  10. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Deputy

Who's that cool cat?

11. rideemcowboys

rideemcowboys Cowboy

12. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Deputy

13. ksupoke

Well without knowing what my question was you did a danged good job of answering it. I was trying to see if the effects of 2nd hand mj smoke had been studied for an extended period of time. The reason for the question was that with all the uproar over 2nd hand smoke I was unable to understand why, if (has been stated here) mj contains material levels of known carcinogens, that is not a stronger position of the anti-legalization crowd.

Thanks for answering.
  14. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

I think one of the reasons we can safely legalize marijuana is all the current smoking laws. It would fall under the same laws and for the most part you wouldn't have to be around it if you didn't want to be.
    Anaranjado, ksupoke and bleedinorange like this.
  15. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

16. StillwaterTownie

17. StillwaterTownie

Here is where cracking down on RX painkiller abuse only works to drive people toward heroin. I assume people don't resort to marijuana because it produces nowhere near the intense high that opiates do.
  18. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

The ACLU is going to represent the KKK in its bid to join Georgia's highway clean up program.

The adopt a highway project in Georgia turned down the KKK's bid to adopt a stretch of highway and put up a sign saying that it was supported by the KKK.
  19. ksupoke

Talk about a couple that deserves each other
  20. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Sweet! This is an excellent opportunity to irradiate both groups so they can't pass their genes on to future generations. Win/win.
    bleedinorange likes this.