1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Marketing majors

Discussion in 'Jobs, Careers, Networking' started by Carneyman14, May 18, 2011.

1. Carneyman14

A/V Subscriber Carneyman14 Amazing golf ball whacker guy

Anybody able to find jobs out of college that isn't sales?

Seems like that's all that's out there. They say they are "outsourced marketing" companies. I've encountered people who sell, Quill, AT&T, Direct TV, Spark energy, etc.

Most companies are either a base pay + comp or 100% comp for about a year then they promote you to something called assistant manager or a leadership role. then they want you to open up your own business after 2 or so years.

Is this normal for entry level stuff?
  2. Rand-0

Rand-0 Wrangler

I think it is that way for all business majors. I graduated in 2008 and accepted a sales position and hated it, my major was economics. It is a tough market out there, I am looking for a teaching job that seems to be impossible for me. Just keep looking and stay positive something is bound to come around.
  3. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

I'm not a marketing major but I know some and only one of them was able to get a marketing job within a company.

What you would want to aim for is something within a manufacturing company & someone who makes large orders.

Aerospace industry is what comes to mind.
    Look at Tulsa, OKC, & Witchita for those positions.

If you work in an industry which sells small items in mass amounts than you probably will be working directly with individual customer sales which can be hard.

Manufacturers usually have a sales dept. which is responsible for the sales and contracts with buyers and suppliers. Much more stable.

I really wish colleges would rename their marketing degrees to "sales" because that is honestly all it is.

Marketing is sales.

If you are wanting a stable job and have taken some accounting/finance courses. Look into some bookkeeping or accounting clerk positions. Get your foot in the door with a company and hopefully get into sales later on. Good luck
  4. PokeSpinMD

A/V Subscriber PokeSpinMD Alpha Mike Foxtrot

Manzer 101
    RolandDeschain likes this.
  5. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

Is that what he says?
    I took my principles of marketing course at another university before I transferred.

I have only heard of Manzer.
  6. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber CTeamPoke Wildcard

Yep.

Also, Carney keeping books is really funny. Just start in sales and get your foot in the door. That's what's important.
  7. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    Dress up and check with the circuses. Sales is great. Remember that there is a sucker born every minute. Seriously, good luck. Check with energy service and product companies, too. Their business is good right now.
  8. OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber OrangeAggie Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

If you aren't interested in sales, why did you major in marketing?
  9. Carneyman14

Promotion, advertising, event coordination, B2B sales/Account Management,Branding, Market Research PR.

and because I suck at Math/Accounting/finance. And I can't write
  10. OrangeAggie

Ah, makes sense. If you suck at writing though, you probably aren't going to have much of a career in advertising or PR.

Honestly, B2B sales is going to be your best bet with a marketing degree. You're going to make a lot more money and have a better shot of getting promoted to a management position if you go that route.

Sales is tough though, especially at first. I'm in my 3rd sales position since graduating and I've finally found a job that I like and will have a chance to be successful at. The other two sucked, but they got me the necessary experience I needed.
  11. Carneyman14

I can write alright I guess.... Didn't want to do it in college. Sports writing would be fun, but I came to the conclusion that I'm too much of a fan and want to have a beer at the games than work in sports.

I actualy got a interview with Enterprise rent a car Tuesday. People that know have always said they are good at promoting from within. I'm interviewing for their management trainee position. It's basically paid training for a year so its not much, but if I become a manager it would be a good salary and great opportunity for promotion/advancement. Corporate office is in STL :cheers:
  12. t1m0thy

A/V Subscriber t1m0thy Walker told me I have AIDS

Was this a phone interview or in person? I have a phone interview this same thing in Austin on Thursday.
  13. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

good luck on your interviews guys.

timothy, if you have a phone interview then why is it in Austin? lol
  14. t1m0thy

A/V Subscriber t1m0thy Walker told me I have AIDS

The position is in Austin :)
  15. Carneyman14

In Person

In Edmond
  16. RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain Cowboy

So true. Gotta love Manzer lol
  17. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy Tragically Handsome

My scheme to get rich is buy Manzer for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is.......then I could finally achieve Boone's goal of someone out donating him.
  18. Meat Tornado

Meat Tornado Dozens of YouTube views

Bump, just because I was hoping that this was a thread a about Professor Flaherty-Pappas. Sweet Jeebus that lady is smokin'.
  19. OrangeAggie

Pics or GTFO.
  20. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

[​IMG]

From the Spears School of Business site