Mason v. Baker Tonight

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Did james Washington have a lot of drops in college? Catching a football is the same in pee wee as the NFL. shrug. It hits you in the hand you catch it.
It’s not though. Sure mechanically it’s the same but as with most things in life, the mental aspect is as important. In college he might have played against 1 nfl caliber secondary player per week, if that. When you are superior to the defense, that confidence gives you a mindset that elevates your level of play. If he is able to get some consistent success it will boost his confidence and every aspect of his play will improve.

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Browns fans trying to justify the strike are why nfl fans are the worst.
Yep. Even Baker said it was unacceptable and inexcusable. Anyone trying to put any blame on Mason here is flat out ignorant. Louis Riddick and Steve Smith Sr. both were incredibly blunt in their criticism of Myles here. This isn't a two-side argument. What Myles Garrett did was unacceptable. Period.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So, if you watch, MR's on his back with Myles on top of him continuing to drive him into the ground well after the play and he's grasping at whatever he can get in order to attempt to fight back...whatever he can hold on too ended up being the back of the helmet...the guy then takes MR's helmet off and Mason pursues to get it back...that's when Myles clubs Mason with his own helmet. Bottom line, no excuses for that type of bs with a game well in hand. They will throw the book at Myles...as they should. This is also the kind of thing that turns me off of the nfl and football in general if it's going to be like this. Gross display...Roid rage?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
In fact, he should be arrested for assault.
I was thinking about a case where a hockey player filed charges for assault because the other player used his stick as a weapon in a fight. Fighting is assumption of the risk in hockey, getting hit with a stick, intentionally is not. I would think this a similar situation.

The league needs to send a signal.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
Yep. Even Baker said it was unacceptable and inexcusable. Anyone trying to put any blame on Mason here is flat out ignorant. Louis Riddick and Steve Smith Sr. both were incredibly blunt in their criticism of Myles here. This isn't a two-side argument. What Myles Garrett did was unacceptable. Period.
But But Masunn messt with his helmat furst!

Aug 7, 2006
So, if you watch, MR's on his back with Myles on top of him continuing to drive him into the ground well after the play and he's grasping at whatever he can get in order to attempt to fight back...whatever he can hold on too ended up being the back of the helmet...the guy then takes MR's helmet off and Mason pursues to get it back...that's when Myles clubs Mason with his own helmet. Bottom line, no excuses for that type of bs with a game well in hand. They will throw the book at Myles...as they should. This is also the kind of thing that turns me off of the nfl and football in general if it's going to be like this. Gross display...Roid rage?
Kinda how I saw it. He was grabbing at whatever he could to get Myles away from him. Just happened to grab the helmet. Mason could've handled this better, but this is all on Garrett.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Here's Associated Press article and photos from the incident.

Following the game, Garrett was contrite, but the damage was already done.

“What I did was foolish, and I shouldn’t have allowed myself to slip like that,” Garrett said softly. “It’s out of character.”

“I don’t know how he got to the point that it’s OK to use a helmet as a weapon,” said Steelers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward. “I know we play a sport that’s violent, but it should never have gotten handled like that. That dumb stuff shouldn’t be allowed. For someone to use a helmet as a weapon is uncalled for.”

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Garrett apologized to him and the defensive end said he intends to talk to his teammates.

“The next time I see them, I’ll address them,” he said. “I am hurting my whole team with what I did, and it could come back to bite us. I don’t know what kind of repercussion I face, but I have to be better.”
UPDATE: Browns defensive end Myles Garrett has been suspended for at least the rest of the regular season and postseason by the NFL for swinging a helmet and striking Pittsburgh quarterback Mason Rudolph in the head.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The Aggies showed their true colors in their love affair with Johnnie Football. I used to defend these guys.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'll give Baker credit for calling like it is. Of course it's a reminder he and Mason are old BFF's.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Teams take on the personality of their quarterback it's no wonder we've seen two of their players come absolutely unhinged in recent weeks

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
BuT rUdOlPh!! Sad the way the Brown's fans trying to excuse this saying Rudolph started it with the knee to the groin (doubt his padded groin even felt anything).

This guy initiated this at the point of contact by throwing Rudolph to the ground the way he did, then Rudolph fought back. And why wouldn't you. Garrett is known for trying to injure quarterbacks. He's been fined twice for it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Interestingly, we have now learned that even Baker Mayfield has more class than a few sooner fans on this board. Ban?

Last edited: