1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Football Matt Gallagher, Owasso Rams

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by CowboyVenus, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CowboyVenus

CowboyVenus Wrangler

I have kept up with Owasso football because of Keon Hatcher, while keeping up with him, Matt Gallagher really stood out. He was just offered a preferred walk-on spot. He had 8 receiving TDs as a TE compared to Veatch who had 1. I asked a friend of mine from Owasso about him and he is being recruited by several Ivy League schools and few others.They said he has a 34-35 on his ACT and all his family went to OSU. He also is a top 50 basketball player in Oklahoma so he seems really athletic.

I remember reading about him in DOK about a 4OT game against Midwest City
    http://newsok.com/owasso-beats-midwest-city-in-four-overtimes/article/3624869

Also when Veatch and him played in the same game. Gallagher had 2 TD receptions.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...id=227&articleid=20111126_227_B3_CUTLIN357349
  2. RideWithPride

RideWithPride Cowboy

3. GoPokes12

GoPokes12 Wrangler

I'd assume he is a senior. Would be a great addition and sounds like one of those walk-ons who would really have a chance to play one day and earn a scholly.
  4. GammaCowboy

GammaCowboy Greenhorn

Senior at Owasso. 6'5", 235. He and Veatch were named to the OCA All-State team today. Gallagher won the John Kolb award, an award Owasso offers to the Most Outstanding Senior. Pretty impressive considering he played with the state's leading WR and a QB that has already been elected to an All-America game.
  5. OrangeForever

A/V Subscriber OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way.

Matt's older brother works for the athletic department. Both really, really nice guys. I know some Ivy League schools had been looking at him. Not sure that he's had much Div. I interest though, although he's certainly got the frame for it.
  6. pokelahomastate

pokelahomastate Cowboy

Call me crazy but if I scored a 34-35 on my ACT with a shot to play Ivy League ball, I'm out. Thats also why I don't blame BJS if he chooses Stanford. With an opportunity to get a world class education, it's hard to get upset w/ athletes who choose such schools over OSU.
    oufannot and PlatypusJojo like this.
  7. for_petes_sake

for_petes_sake Congrats Big 12 Champs

But you also have to look at the financial aspect of the ivy league versus In state tuition.
  8. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

They may not give athletic scholarships, but they would find ways to get good talent there.
  9. for_petes_sake

Oh I totally agree, Coach Spates got a couple of my friends a lot of help in financial aid at Cornell. That was in '89 and it was 25k per , plus room and board. That was 20 years ago, how much is it now?
  10. Extra Point

Extra Point Wrangler

Exactly because I don't think Ivy League schools give athletic scholarships. Whether or not their football players get some sort of preferential treatment on academic scholarships, especially with 35 ACT scores, I have no idea.

Given I'm an Owasso grad, I hope he gets a chance at a full Ivy ride if he doesn't choose to walk on with us in Stillwater.
  11. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

Well above 40k. A private school I applied to was 40k three years ago. They've got to be quite a lot higher than that.
  12. for_petes_sake

Ivy league does not give any sports schollies. I'm sure he would get some academic scholarships. I hope he gets to do what he wants.
  13. internationalaw

A/V Subscriber internationalaw Not 1, Not 2.....

At many ivy schools, if you're parents make under a certain amount (40k or 30k), school is absolutely
  14. CampusCowboy

CampusCowboy Cowboy

You also have to take into account that with that ACT score, he probably gets a full ride academic scholarship to OSU and gets to play football as a bonus. Also, I think it would be a whole lot more fun to play at OSU than an Ivy league school, they just don't care about football at all. If he performs well at OSU, then we have proven over the years that you can earn playing time.
  15. Celldweller7

A/V Subscriber Celldweller7 Deputy

Unless he has a dream of the NFL or coaching, I'd go Ivy League if they can make it financially viable. Having a degree from there just opens up some doors and allows for contacts that so many schools simply cannot provide.
  16. CampusCowboy

CampusCowboy Cowboy

That is my point, the financials won't be viable. Even with a 34 or 35 on your ACT, you get very minimal scholarships. OSU basically gives full rides for those scores.
  17. CowboyVenus

CowboyVenus Wrangler

He would get a full ride if he went Ivy league but he wants to play at OSU.
  18. Stat Man

Stat Man Wrangler

Ivy league schools give no athletic scholarships. I have known several kids that went to Ivy league schools to play football and none of them received any aid whatsoever. Some may get "aid" but it is in the form of loans that must be repaid. And a 35 ACT doesn't even guarantee acceptance without the agreement to play sports. The good deal about playing sports at an Ivy League school is that it gets you into the school, when you otherwise might not have been admitted.
  19. Extra Point

Extra Point Wrangler

IF a football player gets a full ride academic scholarship, it counts against the program's NCAA mandated 85 limit. Otherwise, the schools with the most money could arrange to get academic scholarships for supposed "walk-ons" and skirt the 85 rule limit. Matt is going to have to pay his own way as a walk-on at oSu (I think he can get Pell grants, but I doubt he qualifies).

Dan Bailey originally was going to be a walk-on at Arkansas and was told by Houston Nutt he could get an academic scholarship to pay his way. Of course that was a bold-faced lie and Nutt told him just before school started he had to pay his own way. His parents were PISSED. Dan sat home that fall and enrolled at OK State. The rest is history.
  20. CampusCowboy

CampusCowboy Cowboy

A 34 or 35 ACT score gets you in an Ivy League school, but it doesn't get you a full ride. Nobody gets a full ride to an Ivy League school. They don't even give athletic scholarships.