Mattis sounds off on Trump

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Where did I say Obama wasn’t attacked? Where did I say Trump was persecuted? Of course Obama was attacked but he also had the entire MSM complex, all of the broadcast networks, all of the major newspapers around the country, Hollywood, etcetera fully defending, protecting, and promoting him. If you are suggesting that Trump having Fox News and AM radio is a balance in the scales then you are not intellectually honest.
While I fully realize there is certainly left leaning bias in the entertainment industry, which is basically what mainstream media is part of since 24 hour cable news burst onto the scene and they had to compete for ratings, it does not justify Trump's behavior, which unless I misinterpreted several of your comments, seems to be what you're trying to do. However, Fox News is the highest rated of the bunch I do believe, so it's not like that is an insignificant ally. Go back to Clinton for a better comparison. Was he not relentlessly lambasted over the BJ?? How did he respond?? He apologized, he didn't go on the attack. Now you can certainly argue that he was not being sincere, whatever, but the point is, he didn't act like a child and throw a temper tantrum. I truly believe Trump to be mentally ill. I've never seen any adult in my professional life that was in any position of responsibility behave the way he does.

Oct 30, 2007
Anyone that chooses to protest a few hundred feet from the White House without a permit is subject to being ordered to move. If they disregard this legal order, they are subject to being forcefully removed. No constitutional rights have been violated in this situation.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
While I fully realize there is certainly left leaning bias in the entertainment industry, which is basically what mainstream media is part of since 24 hour cable news burst onto the scene and they had to compete for ratings, it does not justify Trump's behavior, which unless I misinterpreted several of your comments, seems to be what you're trying to do. However, Fox News is the highest rated of the bunch I do believe, so it's not like that is an insignificant ally. Go back to Clinton for a better comparison. Was he not relentlessly lambasted over the BJ?? How did he respond?? He apologized, he didn't go on the attack. Now you can certainly argue that he was not being sincere, whatever, but the point is, he didn't act like a child and throw a temper tantrum. I truly believe Trump to be mentally ill. I've never seen any adult in my professional life that was in any position of responsibility behave the way he does.
Fox News carries the same weight as Facebook, Twitter, every MSM outlet, every major newspaper, Hollywood movies, actors, tv shows, every broadcast network, nearly every cable network, Netflix, and so on and so forth? You can’t really be trying to suggest that.

And yes I see several people behaving like Trump does. Hillary, Pelosi, Reid, Schiff, all people in positions of high power that behave just as poorly as Trump. Clinton’s behavior as POTUS was awful. As was Nixon’s, as was JFK. Again, you accuse Trump of mental illness based on nothing. Have you considered that perhaps you hate him a little too much and it’s not healthy for you? Have you ever even asked yourself that question?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
All of the sudden -- A man who wanted to bomb civilians in Iran is a hero to the left.
If he was bitter over the U. S. not doing it, he didn't indicate it. What he said against Trump was totally unrelated to that, and he was right. I won't be surprised if more people than ever now think it's time to leave the country and more so if Trump is reelected. Like I said before New Zealand looks to be an attractive way to get far away from the senseless insanity, especially if earthquakes there aren't too bad. For an added attraction New Zealand is down one active case of COVID-19.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Fox News carries the same weight as Facebook, Twitter, every MSM outlet, every major newspaper, Hollywood movies, actors, tv shows, every broadcast network, nearly every cable network, Netflix, and so on and so forth? You can’t really be trying to suggest that.

And yes I see several people behaving like Trump does. Hillary, Pelosi, Reid, Schiff, all people in positions of high power that behave just as poorly as Trump. Clinton’s behavior as POTUS was awful. As was Nixon’s, as was JFK. Again, you accuse Trump of mental illness based on nothing. Have you considered that perhaps you hate him a little too much and it’s not healthy for you? Have you ever even asked yourself that question?
I disliked Trump when he was just a TV personality so yeah I am biased. But you have to rattle of like 15 people to counter what 1 person has done single handed. Think that is a lot of my problem. I can handle each person of a group providing a few bad qualities or so each. No group or person is perfect. When 1 person has so many bad qualities I tend to just want them gone.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
When the dust settles and people look back on Trump, it will be the things he was able to get done that will be remembered.

Trump has hurt a lot of feelings and that is what we are seeing.
So wrong you are. The economy was so weak to Trump that he thinks negative interest rates is a good way to stimulate it. I think he was very unhappy that he couldn't made the GDP grow much faster than it did while under Obama. He assured us the GDP would grow by 6%. It didn't.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Quotes from a race-fixated president with a sketchy past who was ashamed of his country and hated self-made success:

“If you’ve got a business – you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

“I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

“…I’ve got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby.”

“I don’t believe it is possible to transcend race in this country. Race is a factor in this society. The legacy of Jim Crow and slavery has not gone away. It is not an accident that African-Americans experience high crime rates, are poor, and have less wealth. It is a direct result of our racial history.”

“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society’s stifling conventions. We weren’t indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated.
But this strategy alone couldn’t provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerant. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.”

“The issue here is not gonna be a list of accomplishments. As you said yourself, Steve, you know, I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president – with the possible exceptions of Johnson (????), F.D.R., and Lincoln.”

“No, no. I have been practicing…I bowled a 129. It’s like — it was like Special Olympics, or something.”

“I won.”

Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower….”

“And if that child should ever get the chance to travel the world and someone should ask her where is she from, we believe that she should always be able to hold her head high with pride in her voice when she answers, ‘I am an American.’ That is the course we seek. That is the change we are calling for.”

“I had learned not to care. I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack, though. …”

“…I inhaled frequently. That was the point.”

"Why can’t I just eat my waffle?” he said, when asked a foreign policy question by a reporter at the Glider Diner

“I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.”

Followed by this virulently racist gem:

“The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…”

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
It is ok to call Trump a traitor, a sexual assaulter, a racist, a pervert—all claims made without any evidence. But Trump is not allowed to fire back.
If you voted for Trump, you should own up for voting for such a sorry character and not vote for him again. The voters had plenty of warning during the 2016 campaign as to what kind of person Trump is. A truly good and decent person isn't going to be subject to such numerous accusations, whether true or not. Did a woman ever come forth to accuse Obama of rape or sexual harrassment?

Nov 6, 2010

Based on nothing??? I base it on the words that come out of his mouth, literally. If you feel like others have ever behaved anywhere close to him, you are the one being disingenuous. I would not characterize my feelings for him as hate. I do hate his behavior, and I fear what he could possibly do in such a position of power. However, there are actually some of his traits/policies that I like and appreciate. I like the fact that he is really judicious with the use of military force. As far as policy, I fully support what he is trying to do regarding China and trade, that is an issue that has needed to be addressed for some time, and to his credit, it took some guts to confront them. I'm not smart enough to know if his strategy is the correct one, but the overall goal I do support. I only bring those examples up to try to dissuade you from an image I think you might have of anyone who has these concerns as a TDS suffering blind partisan. I do try to evaluate him honestly and without bias, and my honest evaluation is that there is something fundamentally wrong with him. I do hope he finds peace, religion, mental health, or whatever he needs to maintain.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
I think other than the fact that he’s a common sense leader and actually tries to follow through on his promises, the fact that Trump fights back is why he’s so popular. I think right wingers got sick of it being ok for the entire left wing mainstream media, Hollywood, etcetera to throw bombs and republican leaders had to just sit there and take it.

In a nutshell, all Trump did was stoop to the left’s level. Which is why he hurts so many feelings because left wingers aren’t used to it.
Trump is mainly popular with his fellow bullies. His approval rating has dropped to 39%.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
"Why can’t I just eat my waffle?” he said, when asked a foreign policy question by a reporter at the Glider Diner

“I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.”

Followed by this virulently racist gem:

“The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…”
OMG, sounds like he is using personal experiences and having candid conversations about race.

And that Waffle comment.... GASP. Let me clutch my pearls. JFC

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
So you are dodging the issue that Mattis wanted to directly attack Iran, Trump didn't, and that's why he's gone and bitter and the other war hawks didn't like it either?
Ah, in other words, what you're trying to say is that Mattis is just a disgruntled ex-employee. I don't like Mattis for wanting to step up to more war in the Mideast, but I like his commentary against Trump. Biden needs to promise he won't seek war in the Mideast.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Ah, in other words, what you're trying to say is that Mattis is just a disgruntled ex-employee. I don't like Mattis for wanting to step up to more war in the Mideast, but I like his commentary against Trump. Biden needs to promise he won't seek war in the Mideast.
That would make you a blatant hypocrite.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
He also shot his mouth off constantly without knowing the facts. “If I had a son”, “the police acted stupidly”. Unnecessarily adding fuel to the fire of an already out of control situation. Hey I can listen to people crap on Trump all day long. There’s plenty not to like there. But if you are living in a fantasy world where he is any worse than Obama or any other high profile left or right wing politician you are completely delusional and blinded by hate.
Once again, Obama isn't running for president. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since he left the White House. Let's move forward. Why don't you criticize Biden? I'm sure there is plenty of stuff on him.