MBB: BEDLAM Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma Sooners (ABC @2PM TOMMORROW)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Two things, and I could be wrong I’m just spitballing.
#1 - I’m beginning to think that giving Underwood what he wanted would have been a far better economic decision than the one that was made.
#2 - I know Underwood wasn’t a great guy but I can help but wonder if the main reason the players hated him was because he expected them to go all out 100% of the time and if they wouldn’t he would actually do something about it.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It should be painfully obvious to everyone that Boynton is just a guy who makes a great assistant. A guy that is very valuable for his ability to recruit, but let the head coach handle the coaching. Boynton is like Jeff Capel.
Sadly he's a poor man's Capel. I wanted to believe in Boynton. I was all in. This team just sucks plus he cant coach. Bad combo lol

Aug 8, 2008
OKC
What I honestly don’t understand, is what happened to the team that won the pre-season NIT? We were playing really well. I understand that Ice was out for a month, but he’s been back for awhile. I hear all the blame on HCMB, but he can’t shoot for them or defend for them. Isn’t it on the team?

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
I have sent a thank you note to the ever arrogant Mike Holder for his on the cheap hiring of a junior high level coach. He is saving the university several millions of dollars a year. There is a bright side to this move. This is beyond absurd.
Howdy Doody strikes again.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
#1 - I’m beginning to think that giving Underwood what he wanted would have been a far better economic decision than the one that was made.
#2 - I know Underwood wasn’t a great guy but I can help but wonder if the main reason the players hated him was because he expected them to go all out 100% of the time and if they wouldn’t he would actually do something about it.
Yes. Underwood was a good coach. We did offer 2.5 million though. The mistake was not hiring Gottlieb or heck anyone but Boynton. Holder tried to be the genius instead he made a huge mistake. Zero discipline. Zero plan.. kicked off like 6 guys. It's a total trainwreck.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
What I honestly don’t understand, is what happened to the team that won the pre-season NIT? We were playing really well. I understand that Ice was out for a month, but he’s been back for awhile. I hear all the blame on HCMB, but he can’t shoot for them or defend for them. Isn’t it on the team?
Two bad teams they beat. The Big 12 is the best conference in America. So theres that. We just suck and we get out coached nearly every game.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
We know the players are capable of more because it's virtually the same team as last year. The team has gotten worse. That's not on the players that's on the coaching staff.

Feb 18, 2009
Agreed on number 1.

Standing ovation on number two. I was just thinking that today, sure his players thought he was a hard ass because he wasn't their friend. All of his teams play hard going back to the SFA teams. He held them accountable in games and in practice. The older guys don't like that and they wanted him out.

He's crazy if he doesn't punt at this point and start playing sophomores and freshmen the entire game. I'd rather watch them lose and get experience than see 21, 4, 1, and 12 on the floor as a group again. Even Fran saw it today and commented on the fact that there were four seniors playing like that.

I don't even want to call them role players because I don't want the younger guys learning anything from them.

Sidenote: his behavior and approach when Yor goes from an And 1 to a flagrant the other way is all I will ever need to know about HCMB. Give me the hard ass coach any day of the week over that beta male crap he displayed.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I’ve been saying for 3 weeks it’s time to bench the seniors permanently. Curious how long it will take Boynton to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAGMAN

Greenhorn
Jan 7, 2020
Edmond, OK
We can either sit back and accept the ridiculous situation or begin the process of letting Holder know what we think. Will he act on the criticism? Not likely. Might it begin the review process. Maybe. I think it would surprise people how few of us document our concerns to him. Even one as arrogant as him will begin to take note of the disaster if enough call attention to it. If not we deserve to continue watching the comedy on the court.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
First off I like MB as a person and coach.Look at our lineup.We dont have a single player who could start on another Big 12 team.We have 1 pure shooter (Dizi) who has never gotten on track this year.We have 1 scorer to speak of (Lindy) but he is covered up due to teams not respecting our other guys. I will say our coaches have missed on our recruiting evaluation because we are getting next to nothing from our freshman.I think we have the coaches along with several assistants who are former head coaches but they ultimately can't play the game.They can however recruit better and more accurately.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Give Rick Pittino a call and see if he’s interested. He’s in a similar situation to the one Eddie Sutton was in being seen as radioactive. He’s been coaching in Europe but would likely embrace another opportunity coaching at the college level. In my opinion he could keep Cade Cunningham on board. I know this sounds like a crazy idea.

Aug 31, 2013
Just heard on the sports broadcast that the last time we started 0-8 in conference Herbert Hoover was the president. That is special.
I don’t see us winning anymore than 2 conference games and that’s a stretch. We are as bad a team as I may have ever seen. You know opposing coaches love to play us. No crowd noise at home games, undisciplined, and lazy. As a coach I would love to play teams like that.

I didn’t think things could get worse than with Travis Ford but here we are. Boynton makes Ford look like a super star coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2011
2nd half & we still have a slimmer of a chance & Cam yanks a contested 3 right in front of our bench. Boynton slumps his shoulders & hangs his head. No sub. Next possession early in shot clock Dizzy yanks a 3 from 28’ and it hits nothing. No sub. Harris continues to take 3s. Has he made 6 all year. Anderson continues to drive to no where.

Our D is either a soft zone for open 3s or we overplay the ball/perimeter & give up open layups.

Ill take 11 more losses if we limit who shoots 3s & when in the possession & play 1.5 step off perimeter man. But to continue this same sh!t is not acceptable.
Bad shot selection has been a recurring theme. And it is a point in the season where that has to be on the coaches.

Where I have a big disconnect is the role Scott Sutton is playing. We know he is aware our players take bad shots. What is preventing him from getting this issue corrected? I didn’t watch the game today, but I have watched every other game this year. Every time I see Scott on the sidelines he does not seem engaged. I’m not sure I have ever even seen him talk to Coach Boynton, any of the other coaches, or any players this year. So we have a coaching resource who from my perspective isn’t adding the value he could and doesn’t seem to take interest in making an impact during the game. What message does that send?

I want Coach B to succeed. I think he has been a good ambassador for the school. I think he has some skills. However, there is a dynamic at least with Coach Sutton that appears to be a disconnect
Between the two. And by no means am I suggesting Scott should be the coach. It just doesn’t seem to me that his talents and skills aren’t being fully utilized and we are at a place where everyone needs to be contributing to the success of the program. Something isn’t right there.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
One thing people are forgetting about Underwood. If he had stayed here then Lamont Evans probably would not have been fired as quickly as he was. This could have resulted in OSU being pulled deeper into the Sport Shoe Scandal with perhaps severe penalties. Im sure the NCAA would love to nail us while letting Kansas skate.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Agree something is amiss in Denmark and it stinks to high heaven.
I think it has to do with expectations...or should I say lack of expectations set by the coach with his team. I found this Boynton quote after the game today

“(Defensive communication) has been an issue for this team, particularly in the moments of adversity,” OSU coach Mike Boynton said. “Guys tend to go into their own shells instead of wrapping their arms around each other. We’ve done everything so far that we can. We’ll continue to search for new methods of creating that adversity in practice.”

i think it’s Boynton who has not set the proper expectations with his team. “Guys go into their own shell”. What? From what I see when I watch the games that translate to “I don’t have to play defense because I’m not held accountable...I still get to play”. Hey Mike, here’s a new strategy to create “adversity” in practice, You DONT PLAY DEFENSE YOU DONT PLAY...senior or not. I’ll play your teammates who do...freshman listen close.

Great defense feeds teamwork and more offensive possessions. You don’t play defense you let your teammates down. Defense doesn’t have a negative impact on your shooting percentage except for your opponent. Defense is attitude. If you don’t send that message loud and clear it not happening. Boynton the only one not having “Defensive Communication” is you to your team.