MBB class moves up to #6

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
According to 247sports we are up to 9th in the country and first in the Big 12.

1. Kentucky
2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Michigan
5. Tennessee
6. Arkansas
7. NC State
8. Gonzaga
9, Oklahoma State
10. LSU

1) 5 Star
2) 4 Stars
1) 3 Star

Fantastic class coming in with I believe 2 more spots left..

Sep 23, 2010
We need grad transfer shooting guard to commit with another 4 star high school player hopefully.
I completely agree with the grad transfer shooter. Moss from KU comes to mind. Someone like that. Mooney from Texas Tech last year. Just need that guy who can nail the open shot to keep the driving lanes honest. Because I don't think we can shoot it from the 4spot like McGriff can next year either.

Sep 23, 2010
By next year, we have to examine playing Boone and Anei together. I'm not sure it can be effectively done. It has been a luxury to have a good 5 on the floor for 40minutes the last half of the conference season, and maybe each guy plays 15-25min based on who's playing better. The problem is if neither guy can truly stretch the floor with his perimeter play, playing two bigs has become easy to guard in today's game.

And Ice might as well be considered a big because he can't shoot at all. Anderson's 3pt shot is suspect. Getting the parts to fit next year could be challenging. Cunningham will need/want space to operate. Keylan's 3 ball is solid and Harris' stroke at times look good but inconsistent as a freshman.

If Ice and Cunningham are on the floor at the same time, two other guys need to be able to make open shots to hold the defense accountable, and then our 5 can be in the dunk spot or rim roller.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
By next year, we have to examine playing Boone and Anei together. I'm not sure it can be effectively done. It has been a luxury to have a good 5 on the floor for 40minutes the last half of the conference season, and maybe each guy plays 15-25min based on who's playing better. The problem is if neither guy can truly stretch the floor with his perimeter play, playing two bigs has become easy to guard in today's game.

And Ice might as well be considered a big because he can't shoot at all. Anderson's 3pt shot is suspect. Getting the parts to fit next year could be challenging. Cunningham will need/want space to operate. Keylan's 3 ball is solid and Harris' stroke at times look good but inconsistent as a freshman.

If Ice and Cunningham are on the floor at the same time, two other guys need to be able to make open shots to hold the defense accountable, and then our 5 can be in the dunk spot or rim roller.
I think Ice improved a lot from last year and maybe that happens again. HOWEVER, I don't see how Ice and Cunningham both stay on the floor at the same time for long stretches of time unless Ice at least develops a mid-range shot.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

I think Ice improved a lot from last year and maybe that happens again. HOWEVER, I don't see how Ice and Cunningham both stay on the floor at the same time for long stretches of time unless Ice at least develops a mid-range shot.
Ice does the little things coaches appreciate. He sets up his teammates. He as a point guard, out rebounded Anei and McGriff combined. I think he’s one of our best defensive players. He will be a valuable asset to this team for the next two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Ice does the little things coaches appreciate. He sets up his teammates. He as a point guard, out rebounded Anei and McGriff combined. I think he’s one of our best defensive players. He will be a valuable asset to this team for the next two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely agree, especially the rebounding he does. He is a team leader. We saw what happened when he got sick.

He will find his way onto the floor, but I think it would benefit him greatly to improve his shot.

Jun 14, 2011
Ice needs to start working at the FT line as soon as the season ends. Not just at shooting freebies (as mentioend above, which is desperately needed for a guard who ONLY drives), but also really working towards a Victor Williams stop and pop from the elbow. Since he can't shoot from outside, being able to stop and jump straight up for a, 8-12 foot shot would help him and the team tremendously. And it is not an unreasonable shot to work on and get good at. Really work on those two things this summer.

Then, if there is any other time left, shoot 10,000,000 threes. Anderson needs the same shooting work, though I actually like his handle more than Ice's, while I know the game still looks a bit fast to him in my eyes. It has a little bit of Gadson (deep reference anyone?) to it when he doesn't pick up his dribble. Once everything slows down, he is going to be fantastic.

Last edited:

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Can someone like Likekele improve their shot significantly in 8 months if they really work at it?
can he improve in 8 months....yes!! How much is the question. I think if he works at he could be a reliable mid range shooter, which is fine and would keep the defense honest. Do I think he’d be a knockdown 3 point shooter within that time...I’d say unlikely. He’d need more time to be reliable from that distance IMO but stranger things have happened

Sep 23, 2010
Ice is a really good player. I like him a lot. But Cunningham is Ice on steriods, but they are similar in they are both stat stuffers and primary ballhandlers. How do they fit is the question, especially if we don't surround the two with high level shooting?

Just like Anei and Khalib....both good players, but they really can't play at the same time right now.

Mar 27, 2008
Obviously Cade will be at point the question is how does Ice fit at the #2 guard position. Our defense will be extremely good with all of our height and length. I think we will live on transition offense, fast breaks, and pushing the ball up the court. Running a set offense with Ice at basically the shooting guard #2 spot is where things will be interesting.

I think the three point line moving back this year is something to consider overall going forward. We had great shooters in Lindy and Dziagwa. They haven't been consistently the same this year with the three point line moving back. I would be interested in if that is the case with other teams nationally. So a "knock down" shooter might not carry the same weight as it has in the past, possibly I'm not sure. But yeah spreading the floor will be key also because we will now have guys who can get their own shot.

Sep 23, 2010
I know I keep referencing Kansas. They are the number one team in the country. But they are in a two point guard system essentially with Dotson and Garrett. They also carry a dominant 5. They have sat very talented players in order to just play 2 other shooters with those 3 and it's given them success once they found that formula.

To me, Cade can be as good as Dotson (Dotson has shot it better this making him that much more difficult to guard). And Ice can be what Garrett is to them. Garrett does make an occasional 3 but not often. Bill Self has used a great deal of creativity to use false movement to get to an action where his players have space to operate when it's time to attack. Boone/Anei won't be as good as Udoka but they will be a good 40min combo that can beat most 5 spots in the league when combining numbers.

Cade/Ice/Boone/Anei will be our four best guys. Who steps in there to compliment and play well with those guys? Currently, you have Anderson, Boone, Harris, Hiddie, Walker, Pena, Moncrief fighting for those roles. And we can add 2 more.