MBB: Cowboys fall against WVU. Next up BEDLAM this Saturday.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Tough loss. Had about 10 of those. 5 more games left. Unfortunately, even if we win these next 5 games by 50 we won’t get until the dance unless we make a huge run in the Big 12 tournament. Next game BEDLAM this Saturday

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
To quote Bobby Knight, “We showed up to play basketball and they came to kick our ass.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seems like they really turned up the intensity on defense and we couldn't buy a shot.
Not trying to pile on here but I will argue OSU has not had a tough, hard-nosed team going back to the Ford era. It seems more often than not when a team has been physical with the Cowboys they have retreated consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
Does anyone know what adjustments WVU made at the half that caused us so much trouble?
WVU went small in the 1st half, and had 6' 10" haley trying to play a big defensively. he's a guard and skinny as a rail. WVU went bigger in the 2nd half and haley got to guard a guard. he's so long he's hard to pass around.

Huggins also turned up the defensive pressure a lot-a lot. He was trying to get some offense with having more scorers in the lineup in the 1st half, but it didn't work. So he played his best defenders in the 2nd and hoped to get points on put backs on offensive rebounds.

Mar 27, 2008
Who exactly is holding the gun to his head, it appears to me to be a self inflicted problem.
I mean Lindy is our leading scorer so that one is obvious why he plays. When he only scores 4 though it makes things tough. I don't know how Dziagwa keeps sneaking back on the court. I guess when we are shooting as cold as we were in the 2nd half, you have to try to find someone who can score. Dziagwa had 8 tonight. Lindy is our starting shooting guard. He is supposed to be our scorer. We won't win many games with him only giving us 4 points.

I thought Lindy played soft on defense tonight too, Dziagwa also. I remember one series where Dziagwa was guarding their 3-point shooter (Sean Mcneil) and he just blew right by Dziagwa for an easy lay-up. I wish I had a gif of it, it was bad.

Apr 27, 2006
I just can't grasp playing any senior who isn't getting it done over getting experience for guys we will need next year especially when there is nothing on line that we are playing for other than pride.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
I just can't grasp playing any senior who isn't getting it done over getting experience for guys we will need next year especially when there is nothing on line that we are playing for other than pride.
I totally agree. Next year is HUGE for Boynton’s future as head coach at OSU. You would think he would want to have the young guys as Big 12 battle ready as he can.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Cam has been pretty good the last few games, actually. Had 19 points last night, and was about as solid as you can get aside from a couple of missed 3's (he was 1-3 on 3-pt attempts). In my opinion, he's the only senior on our roster that's currently playing like a senior.

Edit: I should give some props to Dizzy, too. He's got his limitations, but has done his job well coming off the bench. I can't fault him for his play the last few weeks, either. The main issue would be Boynton playing him too many minutes, or putting him in a situation that he's simply not suited for.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
From the 3:28 mark in first half to end of game, we were out scored 47-17. Embarrassing.

Every single player on the team had a negative +/-. All of them.

Out of 13 losses, three are by less than double digits.

How are any of you finding positives at this point?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
First half was promising. Second half was abysmal :(
The first half was fool's gold. We shot 62% from the field. They shot 28%. NCAA basketball is the most consistent sport in terms of percentages playing out. There was no way it would continue.

The last 3 minutes of the first half and first possession of the second half told anyone watching exactly what was going to happen.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The first half was fool's gold. We shot 62% from the field. They shot 28%. NCAA basketball is the most consistent sport in terms of percentages playing out. There was no way it would continue.

The last 3 minutes of the first half and first possession of the second half told anyone watching exactly what was going to happen.
Looked to me that they adjusted defensively by keeping everyone near the paint and just mugging anyone that came near. We kept attacking their interior and were getting double and triple teamed instantly. Ice couldn't finish. Anderson got pushed around. And we don't have anyone big/physical enough to take on a crowd like that in the paint. In my opinion, the second half should have actually been a lot of penetration and kickout to Dizzy for 3 or Cam / Lindy for midrange jumpers. But we just kept driving right into 3-4 guys and hoping for the best. Of course, once down 10, we just panicked and started jacking up 3's, etc....

Feb 18, 2009
Looked to me that they adjusted defensively by keeping everyone near the paint and just mugging anyone that came near. We kept attacking their interior and were getting double and triple teamed instantly. Ice couldn't finish. Anderson got pushed around. And we don't have anyone big/physical enough to take on a crowd like that in the paint. In my opinion, the second half should have actually been a lot of penetration and kickout to Dizzy for 3 or Cam / Lindy for midrange jumpers. But we just kept driving right into 3-4 guys and hoping for the best. Of course, once down 10, we just panicked and started jacking up 3's, etc....
So one coach made an adjustment and one didn't right? Pretty much speaks to what we've both been saying.

In the last 23 minutes of basketball we scored 17 points. They scored 47. So while the breakdown above speaks our absolute and complete incompetence on offense. We made up for it by not playing defense. Bold strategy by the guys in suits.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Okay guys and gals, I'm here to say I'm sorry I caused it. I haven't even read any of the thread but I'm going to tell you now if any of y'all are trying to take credit for the crash, don't. I was able to watch the first half. Watched it, enjoyed it. Then I ended up not being able to watch or even listen very much to the second half. I'm sorry guys I know I should have told my wife I had to watch to make sure we would win. I should have but I didn't.
/S

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
To quote Bobby Knight, “We showed up to play basketball and they came to kick our ass.”
No doubt!

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm ready for this mess of a season to end. I know the seniors have put in more work than I will ever know and I really appreciate their effort, but aside from McGriff watching these guys play is just painful. I will be proud to salute these guys on senior night, but I'm ready for the "new school" to take over. Waters and Dizzy don't belong anywhere near a D1 P5 lineup and it's honestly embarrassing (for our program) that before the season they were considered "key" players. Just TOO SLOW to compete in this league.
I just hope we live up to all the hype surrounding next year, at this point I'm not positive we will. Even if we get Thor and/or Moncrieffe we don't have a bull down low to lay down the law, which is needed to compete in the big 12.

Feb 18, 2009
we don't have a bull down low to lay down the law, which is needed to compete in the big 12.
Correct, but we will have the athleticism across all 5 spots to compete and push the tempo. But that requires HCMB to get out of his current comfort and coach to his players strengths. If he has us in a half court set again next year it will be a huge waste of both Cunningham's talents and the make up of our team. We should be up and down the floor as fast as Ford wanted to go but now we have the length, speed and agility to actually do it.