MBB: Oklahoma State Cowboys @ Iowa State Cyclones (ESPN+ TONIGHT 7PM)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
The difference is that Cunningham is a great distributor of the ball and he makes everyone around him better. Trae Young was a one trick pony.
I don't know that I'd call him a one trick pony but he never seemed to have the affection of his teammates

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Hopefully the BIG12/SEC will give us a much needed break. 3 years ago...same situation, we got a much needed win against Arkansas which allowed us to go on a 8 game winning streak‭ and somehow allowed us to get in the tournament. I know we’re considered a laughing stock right now, but slowly I can sense that we are getting closer to where we need to be

Nov 18, 2010
If you give the coach another year, the 5 star, who's brother was hired to get him here, maybe gets us to an NCAA game. A single great player might even get you to the 2nd round. (Then again, maybe he quits or gets suspended or who knows what.) After that one year, he leaves. Then what?

Do we fire the coach after that? No. "Let's wait another year...we made the tournament last year...player XYZ is coming in and he'll be great." Our AD doesn't care if our BBall team is good or bad, so the coach is here for another year, probably 2, possibly 3. And we spend those years at the bottom of the big 12.

We need to start healing after this year. The basketball on the court is very bad. If that means we lose one 5 star recruit, at least we won't have to watch historically bad basketball until 2023-24. And we may not even lose the 5 star. His brother would still be a coach here, so he still gets paid by proxy (and legally) during his one mandatory college year. That part isn't dependent on the head coach being here.

One good player for one year isn't worth 6-7 years of bad basketball.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
If you give the coach another year, the 5 star, who's brother was hired to get him here, maybe gets us to an NCAA game. A single great player might even get you to the 2nd round. (Then again, maybe he quits or gets suspended or who knows what.) After that one year, he leaves. Then what?

Do we fire the coach after that? No. "Let's wait another year...we made the tournament last year...player XYZ is coming in and he'll be great." Our AD doesn't care if our BBall team is good or bad, so the coach is here for another year, probably 2, possibly 3. And we spend those years at the bottom of the big 12.

We need to start healing after this year. The basketball on the court is very bad. If that means we lose one 5 star recruit, at least we won't have to watch historically bad basketball until 2023-24. And we may not even lose the 5 star. His brother would still be a coach here, so he still gets paid by proxy (and legally) during his one mandatory college year. That part isn't dependent on the head coach being here.

This is my biggest fear. Not saying it’ll shake out like this, but I fear all of the above may very well happen.

Apr 7, 2006

It's not happening -.so I'm not sure what is being accomplished at this point. You aren't firing a 3rd year coach with this lineup in this league. Isn't happening.

This program is irrelevant nationally. No coach of any significance is coming to OSU - so hitting the reset button yet again is a pretty bad idea for at least 2 years. If Boynton can recruit he'll at least fill the hole left behind Ford and Underwood. If he isn't progressing in a year or 2 you've at least got some depth to build on.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

That last sentence shows complete ignorance. Several four star players have also been recruited and signed.

Nov 14, 2010
Composite 92 which is ESPN, 247 and Rivals averaged together

But... point taken.....
He's a top 100 prospect which is higher than any freshman Boynton will have ever had suit up other than Cunningham, the other big recruit in the class.

Walker is also the 3rd highest recruit Boynton has landed at OSU

Marcus Watson was the other recruit higher than him, but we know his story.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Composite 92 which is ESPN, 247 and Rivals averaged together

But... point taken.....
He's a top 100 prospect which is higher than any freshman Boynton will have ever had suit up other than Cunningham, the other big recruit in the class.

Marcus Watson was higher than him, but we know his story.
As has been the case for the last 10 years - none of this matters if they can't stay on campus, and so far it hasn't happened with the exception of Smart. Once again, I'm in wait and see mode with little evidence to support optimism.

Nov 14, 2010
As has been the case for the last 10 years - none of this matters if they can't stay on campus, and so far it hasn't happened with the exception of Smart. Once again, I'm in wait and see mode with little evidence to support optimism.
LeBryan Nash was the highest recruit OSU has ever had and, between him and Smart there wasn't a great deal of success in the program.

Which leads to the "wait and see" approach that you rightfully have.