1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MCA (Adam Yauch) of Beastie Boys is dead

Discussion in 'Video Games, Movies & Technology' started by Epperley28, May 4, 2012.

1. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

2. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Too young.
  3. Fl Poke

Fl Poke Wrangler

Life really sucks.
  4. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

RIP . Rap lost one of its most influential figures.
    Darth Ryno, steross and colb like this.
  5. Krali

Krali Wrangler

That sucks. I think Pet Sounds is still way underrated. At least he was able to get Smile out before he passed.
  6. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

This is awful.
  7. Krali

Krali Wrangler

8. JoshOSU420

A/V Subscriber JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter

I'm really bummed, I love the Beastie Boys.
  9. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

My name is MCA I got a license to kill.
    I think you know what time it is it's time to get ill.
    Now what do we have here? An outlaw and his beer?
    I run this land, you understand? I make myself clear!
    colb likes this.
  10. HeartLike_JohnStarks

Beastie Boyz took New York/Def Jam records -and rap overall- rap to a whole new level. And MCA was considered by many to be the "best" and heart n'soul of the group . His flow was gruffy and voice/delivery was so unique yet so easy to listen to. Truly talented man and helped changed hip hop forever.
  11. HeartLike_JohnStarks

One of my fav songs of ALL TIME, and in case some of you haven't realized by now , I got my new handle from this song.

MCA was at his best on his verses on this song and killed them. He and Q-Tip were a nice combo on this track
    CTeamPoke likes this.
  12. JoshOSU420

A/V Subscriber JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter

13. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber CTeamPoke Wildcard

This is the the first celebrity death in a long time that has really effected me. I loved the Beastie Boys growing up. Still do. License to Ill was one of the first CDs that I ever bought. They loved hip-hop and punk rock and skateboarding and they were just like me! And MCA was the coolest one, man. Damn. Cancer f'ing sucks. RIP MCA.
    Darth Ryno likes this.
  14. colb

A/V Subscriber colb Hey, Jack.

Listened to them a lot growing up. Always loved the rock+hiphop style they brought.

Also, I used to play the song "Girls" just to annoy my brother. He hated that song.
  15. Darth Ryno

Darth Ryno Deputy

This almost tears me up..... The Beastie Boys, many of us that are in our mid-30's to early 40's great up with them. They were one of the greatest rap groups, if not THE greatest.... ever IMO.

I was in the process of making plans two years ago to go to the Austin City Limits to really see two bands... Dave Matthews and Beastie Boys. That's when they announced Adam having cancer and they dropped out of the show. I didn't attend. So sad, such an amazing talent and it will never be the same.

16. HeartLike_JohnStarks

Some of you guys fell in love with them because of their rock-rap fusion, but they were legit rapper despite their sometimes silly and fratboy facade. They were legit OG's and arguably three of the greatest and earliest hip hop pioneers (alongside Run DMC and LL Cool J- whom they discovered) and even gangster rap can trace their roots to them. And they did it all by being themselves (ie not rapping about coming from the hood ) in their own mischievous way. It was just their rebel attitude and true love for hip hop ( they were one of the first white dudes to go down to the Bronx/Queens and absorb in all the culture and made it apart of their music and who they were and in return mass-popularized it to the country). Even guys that came later like Nas owned their success to the Beasties. And MCA was even more respect cause he was from Brooklyn

So its cool to see this all re-affirmed by all the reactions from all the old school rappers , and even newer ones , who all showed great respect for MCA and what he and B-Boys did. I'm not a NY guy, but every time I go to NYC, this song
    now pops in my head and I can't help but fall a bit in love with the city that was the birthplace of hip hop
  17. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Cowboy

You speak the truth. They also helped put on Public Enemy. They were true to the game. I got to see them in 1994 with the Tribe. Great show. I was always an Ad-Rock guy but the Beasties don't work without all three.
  18. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

I really am not a Coldplay fan, but that was pretty damn cool. Kudos, Chris Martin.

RIP, MCA.
  19. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

Beastie Boys AND A Tribe Called Quest? I envy you greatly. :thumbup:
  20. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Cowboy

I would love to see a tribute concert with other MC's filling in for MCA.

Q-Tip, Rakim, LL, Chuck D, Run, Eminem, Nas, MC Search, Busta Rhymes, Snoop, Dougie Fresh.....