1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Metta World Peace Elbow to James Harden

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by CowboyAdam, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ball

Ball Cowboy

That analogy doesn't hold up for several reasons the least of which is the pedestrian never gave consent to be allowed to be hit by a car. Players in the NBA do give consent to be injured during a game if the injuries sustained occur as a result of the natural course of the game. And even if they're not they are still handled internally most times for various reasons. This is not a blanket exemption from liability but it does apply here. A more apt comparison would be someone getting sick on a roller coaster. It isn't the roller coaster's fault for causing the injury.
  2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

If the roller coaster company was negligent or did something out of the ordinary they would most certainly be held accountable.

Can you point out where on any players contract that says they consent to injury because of flagarant fouls?

You can't write a contract outside of the law that releases you from negligence.

Just like putting up a sign that says "Not responsible of injuries" means nothing to a court of law.
  3. Ball

Ball Cowboy

We're not talking about out of the ordinary we're talking about the normal action that takes place in the course of a game.

Here's the tort:

Volenti non fit injuria

Here's some cases for you to read up on, the first one being the most important:

http://www.lawnix.com/cases/knight-jewett.html
    http://online.ceb.com/CalCases/C4/16C4t1063.htm
    http://online.ceb.com/CalCases/C4/3C4t296.htm
    http://www.lawnix.com/cases/murphy-steeplechase.html

The athlete enters into the agreement implicitly by going onto the court. Again, unless one can prove intentional reckless behavior, there is no crime being committed.
  4. Cimarron

That looked pretty damn close to that. The guy is a professional, it isn't like this is first experience or he doesn't know better.
  5. bleedinorange

bleedinorange Wrangler

Fify. ;)
  6. PokesPeak

A/V Subscriber PokesPeak Lizard King

7. scottishorangemen

A/V Subscriber scottishorangemen falch ac anfarwol

That puts him out of the first round of playoffs, and maybe more depending on if they win round 1 in the first couple games.
  8. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

I saw 7 games and them i saw a tweet that said 7 games on top of however many Hardin misses, which one is it?

Sent from 40 miles past BFE.
  9. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Good Lord, are we actually arguing for egregious actions like this to be counted as felony assault? :facepalm:

If that were the case most of the guys from 80s-early 90s would be in prison. God dang people. Where was any of these reactions about the Kevin Love romp stomp to Scola (one of the nicest and genuine guys in the game) or the Bynum - Barea clothesline?
  10. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

What the hell are you doing outside BF Egypt?
  11. Cimarron

I've always felt that actions on the field that went beyond the spirit and rule of the game shouldn't be treated any different than any other crime. Why should the fact that it's a sport be a license to commit what otherwise would be a crime (when it is beyond the spirit and rule of the game).
  12. BeatOU

Staff A/V Subscriber BeatOU GGBTW

So, was there a fine as well, or just a suspension?
  13. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

Working, but today I am driving from BFE to Kansas and back.

Sent from 40 miles past BFE.
  14. OSUgrad83

OSUgrad83 Wrangler

Not enough of a penalty.
  15. teibbor

Staff A/V Subscriber teibbor Moderator

Just 7 games without pay which will be about $348,000. They will never base a suspension on the hurt player because what if Hardin was a scrub that never played? They could just say he was out for the rest of the season unless they went off when the doctor cleared him to play but even the dr. could be manipulated to keep him out. I dont think the NBA wants to open that can of worms.
    Lafferty Daniel likes this.
  16. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

I think that is fair. I like the idea of suspending until Hardin is back, but like teibbor said, it isn't possible.
  17. Cimarron

What if Metta World Peace was a scrub player and he took out Kevin Durant? Should it make a difference?

It not only could effect the income of Peace to be banned from a few games but also every player on both teams if it created a new balance of power in the NBA and the outcome of the playoffs.
  18. teibbor

yeah or making it 7 games vs the Thunder only but again not going to happen. I cant wait for him to step on the floor in OKC to get booed by everyone
  19. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

That will be really fun to watch haha
  20. teibbor

You lost me... but if you think OKC is not affected with the lost of Harden you are wrong. They lost the game Sunday because (1 of a few reasons) the bench could not hold the lead. Harden is the leader of the 2nd team and the 3rd best scorer on the team. We will have to play Fisher and Cook more if he does not come back and I think that is trouble.