1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Morris Claiborne Gem About the Wonderlic

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by Noven, Apr 27, 2012.

1. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

A/V Subscriber CoreyfreakinlovesOSU (_*_)

I agree that the results don't exactly make him look like Einstein, but he doesn't have a history of this sort of thing
  2. PokeMatt

PokeMatt Greenhorn

I think the Cowboys did think twice about taking him and decided it was worth it. Here's why...

Claiborne highest-rated since Prime Time By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com
    IRVING, Texas -- There has been only one defensive back ranked higher on the Dallas Cowboysdraft boards than Morris Claiborne: Hall of Famer Deion Sanders.

Sanders was the Atlanta Falcons' fifth overall pick from Florida State in the 1989 draft.

Thursday night, when the Cowboys discussed making a trade for Claiborne with the St. Louis Rams, team scouts told owner/general manager Jerry Jones only one man had higher grades.

Sanders.

"Deion was special with his burst," Jones said. "But certainly he is the best they have graded for us since Deion. That would have included Deion after he came in here. Deion had the highest touchdown-per-touch of any player in NFL history."

Claiborne's high-grade was also higher than Terence Newman, who was the Cowboys' first-round pick, fifth overall in 2003.

Last year, LSU's Patrick Peterson was the highest graded corner coming out of the draft, but Jones said Claiborne's grade was better than his.

Claiborne said he compares himself, not to Sanders or Peterson but to the New York Jets' Darrelle Revis.

"He’s on that level where not too many of the guys are doing the things that he’s doing and I believe I can be that type of player also," Claiborne said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...-is-the-highest-rated-corner-since-prime-time
    hillsborotxcowboy likes this.
  3. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

And 20:1 odds he'll be bankrupt within five years of leaving the NFL.
  4. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

Dallas haters gonna hate Dallas.
  5. Lafferty Daniel

A/V Subscriber Lafferty Daniel Cowboy

Where's all the hate for the players who don't run the 40? or the three cone drill? or the bench press?

This guy didn't care to answer the questions. So why do you people care? Just because he made a bad test score he is all of a sudden a bad role model? Man, so glad you guys are full of perfect decisions. Life must be hard up there in your ivory tower, huh?
  6. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

How do you figure?

This.

Oh, this too.
    hillsborotxcowboy likes this.
  7. hillsborotxcowboy

hillsborotxcowboy Fidelis et Verus

Moral of the thread: Go Cowboys
  8. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

Jesus people. It's not even about the bad test score. It's his attitude and flippant behavior to something that is part of the interview process for his job. This isn't hard to understand and if you can't see the person he really is by these remarks then there's nothing I can do for you.

I've seen about three posters try to turn this into something else without understanding what's been said so far. Talk about soap boxes...
  9. Lafferty Daniel

So if someone doesn't want to run the 40 then they have an attitude and flippant behavior too?
  10. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

If he has the same response this kid did. The issue is what he said, not doing a specific event. Read what the kid said. Again, not getting the point...
  11. Lafferty Daniel

Nope, you're wrong. I am getting the point. You're just making a big deal about it. The only people who should have to take the Wonderlic in the first place should be quarterbacks. Why does a cornerback need to take it? You don't have to be smart to play corner. So I don't blame the kid for not caring to take it. He knew it wouldn't hurt his draft stock, and guess what? He was right.

Having a corner take the Wonderlic is like having quarterbacks do the bench press. Does it really matter how many times Peyton Manning can bench 225? Nope. Just like it doesn't matter if a cornerback can figure out the point where two trains would collide going 50 mph 3,000 miles apart.

This thread reminds me of ESPN, making an issue out of nothing just to have something to talk about.
    PokeMatt likes this.
  12. PokeMatt

PokeMatt Greenhorn

Yup
  13. CornDawg

CornDawg Cowboy

14. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

I would like to see it broke down a little further though.. like, just how many of those guys were 1st rounders? Are they counting guys that were practice squad? What are the percentages over the last 5-10 yrs..

I have a hard time believing the modern day star is going to be broke anytime soon.
  15. trueorangeblood

A/V Subscriber trueorangeblood Cold ass honky

Just off the top of my head Terrell Owens and Warren Sapp.
  16. PokeMatt

PokeMatt Greenhorn

Its the same way in basketball. Most of the guys in the NBA and NFL went through high school and college with preferential treatment and never actually learned much. It leaves them all in bad situations where they're uneducated and don't know how to manage their money. Most retired NBA and NFL players are broke within 5 years of retirement. Its pretty sad...
  17. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Cowboy

Guys remember Kendall Hunter had a terrible wonderlic score. I don't think he's an unintelligent guy. He probably just freezes up with tests. It sounds like this guy was blindsided by the test & blew it off.

Dallas really needed a big time CB to replace Newman. I think this was a great move.
  18. CornDawg

CornDawg Cowboy

Regardless, judging by Claiborne's quotes, you just can't help but get the feeling that this dude can't even balance his own checkbook. He'd better hope he has a long and healthy career.
  19. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

True, but they are pretty rare cases..

It's very sad, but there are owners that are definitely willing to help, such as Jerry Jones with Dez. Hopefully the leagues have some sort of financial classes available to their people
  20. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

I don't get that impression.. he just doesn't speak well imo. A lot of people in the south talk the same way.