Mount Rushmore of OSU Coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 12, 2007
The passing of Eddie Sutton got me to thinking who would be on OSU's Mount Rushmore of coaches. I would think Eddie Sutton, Henry Iba and Gary Ward would be locks. After those three, maybe Ed Gallagher with his 11 National Championships or maybe Mike Holder with his 8 National Championships. Who would you have on the OSU Coaches Mount Rushmore?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Have to go with Gallagher. He did more than just win a lot, he was pretty influencial in shaping college wrestling into what it is today.

As much as I love Ward, and those old Big 8 championships were a lot of fun, I'd have to give Holder the edge based on national championships over conference championships. Plus Holder won and individual Big 8 championship as a player at OSU, and has made some program changing, once in a century changes as an AD.

I'm going:
Sutton
Iba
Gallagher
Holder

Nov 5, 2003
morgantown, wv
Have to go with Gallagher. He did more than just win a lot, he was pretty influencial in shaping college wrestling into what it is today.

As much as I love Ward, and those old Big 8 championships were a lot of fun, I'd have to give Holder the edge based on national championships over conference championships. Plus Holder won and individual Big 8 championship as a player at OSU, and has made some program changing, once in a century changes as an AD.

I'm going:
Sutton
Iba
Gallagher
Holder
I agree with these four and for your reasoning.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Ward, Iba, Gallgher, Holder. As great as Eddie was, he does not have the records the others do. If you are going strictly on accomplishments at OSU.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
John Smith has to be on there for me.
I'm not bashing John on here, and I like the guy, but we are in the worst era in the history of our wrestling program. Whether it's his fault or not, it doesn't put him on Mt Rushmore.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Ward, Iba, Gallgher, Holder. As great as Eddie was, he does not have the records the others do. If you are going strictly on accomplishments at OSU.
I'd make a case for Sutton because he came to OSU at a time when our football was headed for an 0-10-1 record. He was the lowest paid head basketball coach in the conference and paid less than one of KU's assistants. We had been to the tourney 1 time in the last quarter century.

His revival of OSU basketball was huge to the entire athletic department.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I'd make a case for Sutton because he came to OSU at a time when our football was headed for an 0-10-1 record. He was the lowest paid head basketball coach in the conference and paid less than one of KU's assistants. We had been to the tourney 1 time in the last quarter century.

His revival of OSU basketball was huge to the entire athletic department.
Using that argument, Gundy would be on it. I understand your argument, But in Natty's or winning percentage or Conference championships, it is the other 4. But who says we cant have 5 on it!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think it needs to be for two era's one historic and one modern:

Mine would be as follows

Historic
Iba
Gallagher
Roderick
Lookabaugh

Modern
Holder
Ward
Sutton
Gundy

Gun to my head forever four
Iba (classic basketball coach maybe top 20 all time)
Gallagher (invented a sport)
Gundy (he's not done yet)
Holder (his work as AD even greater than his historic work as golf coach)

Jun 12, 2007
I can't put Gundy on the Mount Rushmore of OSU coaches yet. He hasn't made a title game, he has one Big 12 Championship. Compared with the other coaches listed above, they all have either won a National Championship, made it to a Championship game or to a Final Four. They also have won more than one conference championship. To make it to Mount Rushmore of coaches at OSU, Gundy has some work to do in my opinion.

John Smith comes close to Mount Rushmore but quite isn't there yet. He has 5 National Championships but that pales to Gallagher's 11 and Art Griffith's 8 in 13 years. Smith would be on a wrestling only Mount Rushmore right now though.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Part of the issue that needs to be considered - I think it is much harder to win a NC in some sports than others because of the number of quality players required and the number of competing programs. Football takes the most players while golf and basketball take the least, fewer competing wrestling teams, etc, etc.

Off the top of my head, list of OSU mens sports easiest to hardest and qualifiers:

cross country, tennis - can recruit world wide, need fewer athletes, less NCAA wide competition
golf - recruit world wide, need fewer athletes, more NCAA competition
wrestling - nationwide recruiting, more athletes required, less NCAA teams competing
basketball - international recruiting, less athletes required, most NCAA competition (a lot of good small school programs)
baseball - nationwide recruiting, more athletes required, more NCAA competition
football - nationwide recruiting, most athletes required, most NCAA competition

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
IMO, Gallagher and Iba have to be locks, the discussion loses all credibility without them. That just leaves two spots, I could see Ward and Sutton, but Smith certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Possibly golf as well, Harris or Holder.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I can't put Gundy on the Mount Rushmore of OSU coaches yet. He hasn't made a title game, he has one Big 12 Championship. Compared with the other coaches listed above, they all have either won a National Championship, made it to a Championship game or to a Final Four. They also have won more than one conference championship. To make it to Mount Rushmore of coaches at OSU, Gundy has some work to do in my opinion.

John Smith comes close to Mount Rushmore but quite isn't there yet. He has 5 National Championships but that pales to Gallagher's 11 and Art Griffith's 8 in 13 years. Smith would be on a wrestling only Mount Rushmore right now though.
Using that criteria Roderick should be in that group. He won 8 NC's in 13 seasons. Smith shouldn't even be in the discussion using his coaching accomplishments only.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
IMO, Gallagher and Iba have to be locks, the discussion loses all credibility without them. That just leaves two spots, I could see Ward and Sutton, but Smith certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Possibly golf as well, Harris or Holder.
you are over valuing Smiths accomplishments as a coach. he hasn't won a thing since 2006! 14 years. 25-30 years ago he'd have been fired for that record.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
you are over valuing Smiths accomplishments as a coach. he hasn't won a thing since 2006! 14 years. 25-30 years ago he'd have been fired for that record.
Certainly a good point, but at least he has won national titles, something we can't say about Eddie or Ward. His teams have been competitive year in and year out even though the performance at the national championship has been unacceptable by OSU standards. I still think he deserves to be in the discussion for one of OSU's all time best coaches.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Certainly a good point, but at least he has won national titles, something we can't say about Eddie or Ward. His teams have been competitive year in and year out even though the performance at the national championship has been unacceptable by OSU standards. I still think he deserves to be in the discussion for one of OSU's all time best coaches.
I wasn't comparing him to Ward or Sutton. My bad for not making that clear. But if John is anything more that "in the discussion" I think that would be overstating his coaching accomplishments when compared to Griffith and Roderick. Speaking strictly about wrestling.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think Holder has to be a lock.

As a student at OSU he won the Big 8 individual championship and was 3rd team All American.
As a coach we won 25 conference championships and 8 national championships. He was the driving force behind creating possibly the best college golf course in the country.
As an AD he pushed the fundraising that took our facilities in virtually every sport from subpar to some of the finest in the nation, often times while taking an annual salary of $1.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Well if saving the entire athletic department at your university and electrifying a fan base is considered an accomplishment, then I’m going to have to have Eddie Sutton on there!

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
For me, the locks would be:
- Iba
- Gallagher
- Holder

The fourth spot would be between (in this order):
- John Smith
- Eddie Sutton
- Gary Ward
- Mike Gundy (obviously time to move higher).