NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Viruses peak in Winter/Spring and then the warmer more humid months stop the spread because they cant travel through the heavier more humid air. Basic virus behaviors.

And while Southern Cali has cases, who knows if they are from people travelling or whether its transmitting person to person within the communities. Pretty bad argument there.
Is it? Because you acknowledged that its still spreading in So Cal. Think before you type.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Is it? Because you acknowledged that its still spreading in So Cal. Think before you type.
No, I never said it was spreading in Cali. I said the majority of cases there are in people known to have travelled internationally.

Be sure to maintain your freak out level. Stress is great for your physical and mental well-being.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I work in a large health system and we have triage plans in place and all kinds of preparedness action plans. The location I work in is going to serve as one of the states treatment hubs. Even if thousands became infected, doesnt mean they would all be needing hospital based care. However, we would stop all elective, nonurgent/emergent clinic visits, surgeries, diagnostic testing, etc to handle things and while it would be an all hands on deck scenario, it would not overwelm the system.
Good to hear, just curious though, how many respirators do you have?

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
No, I never said it was spreading in Cali. I said the majority of cases there are in people known to have travelled internationally.

Be sure to maintain your freak out level. Stress is great for your physical and mental well-being.
Honestly, at the end of the day, what is the down side to being overly cautious about this? We don't have sports for a month? Consider that, there is no up side to down playing this. Its already spread all over the world, the markets would react negatively regardless.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Honestly, at the end of the day, what is the down side to being overly cautious about this? We don't have sports for a month? Consider that, there is no up side to down playing this. Its already spread all over the world, the markets would react negatively regardless.
Economic downside could be huge but again not likely as important.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Economic downside could be huge but again not likely as important.
But again, the markets were already shifting negatively a few weeks ago. How much worse could it get if we don't contain the spread of this? If everything goes back to normal in a month, the markets will likely rebound accordingly, and everything will be fine. Its a short run hit aimed at stability in the long run.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
But again, the markets were already shifting negatively a few weeks ago. How much worse could it get if we don't contain the spread of this? If everything goes back to normal in a month, the markets will likely rebound accordingly, and everything will be fine. Its a short run hit aimed at stability in the long run.
Not worried about the markets but actual businesses. If they take a big enough financial hit then they will have to shed jobs.

Dec 17, 2011
I already know a few people out of a job because of this and people working on hotels saying they lost 4.4 million year to date just from this (they are always in the positives)

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Not worried about the markets but actual businesses. If they take a big enough financial hit then they will have to shed jobs.
Understood, its a valid concern. Hopefully by taking these measures, the spread will be minimized and we can get back to normal in the very near future.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Panic can always make things worse.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I already know a few people out of a job because of this and people working on hotels saying they lost 4.4 million year to date just from this (they are always in the positives)
I work in commercial real estate, have a baby on the way, and have a wife who is an hourly employee, trust me I am as concerned about the economic impact as anyone. However, I believe the impact would be far greater without taking major action now. I am probably pretty clearly not a Trump supporter, but fact that the current administration (who is about as economic impact centric as any in history) is taking drastic measures; restricting travel, proposing pay roll tax cuts and benefits for hourly employees (ie my wife), tells me that this situation is very serious and warrants drastic wide-scale intervention.

Dec 17, 2011
I work in commercial real estate, have a baby on the way, and have a wife who is an hourly employee, trust me I am as concerned about the economic impact as anyone. However, I believe the impact would be far greater without taking major action now. I am probably pretty clearly not a Trump supporter, but fact that the current administration (who is about as economic impact centric as any in history) is taking drastic measures; restricting travel, proposing pay roll tax cuts and benefits for hourly employees (ie my wife), tells me that this situation is very serious and warrants drastic wide-scale intervention.
I agree, at this point the panic is way too much and we need to get this fixed so we can get on with our lives. Its the mixed emotions of people that we wont get fixed though so we need to turn to our government to push bans, and push testing, etc.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I asked that question on Facebook. The answer I got was "500k". Half a million. The population of Dayton wiped out before taking it seriously.
Which would put it in line with a bad flu season, and there are vaccinations available for the common flu. I doubt there would be the same type of hysteria. to be fair you asked the number effected not the mortality.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I initially thought that Covid19 was similar to most influenza strains in terms of mortality rate but I was wrong. It isn't as deadly as isolated influenza strains and certainly nothing like ebola. Just as a quick glance I looked over the numbers for the 2018-2019 flu season and in comparison Covid-19 is about 25 times more deadly. There have been 127,863 cases of Covid-19 reported as of this morning and of those 4,718 resulted in death. If we had only had 127,863 cases of the flu in 2018-2019 there would have been 185(ish) deaths. So it is definitely a nasty bug and the fact that no one on the planet is vaccinated will make it tough to slow the spread. The precautions being taken are NOT over the top. Some of the media sensationalizing actually undermines the situation because some people will dismiss it all and others will completely lose their minds. It's concerning and shouldn't cause hysteria.

Last edited:

rfaOSU

Greenhorn
Jun 25, 2011
I’m old enough to remember flu strains Asian, Spanish, Swine, Avian and another one that started with an H and had numbers in it. I remember that these problems peaked in the 4 to 6 month category and then dissipated. Are there any projections for the corona flu?