NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUspears12

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 21, 2011
I initially thought that Covid19 was similar to most influenza strains in terms of mortality rate but I was wrong. It isn't as deadly as isolated influenza strains and certainly nothing like ebola. Just as a quick glance I looked over the numbers for the 2018-2019 flu season and in comparison Covid-19 is about 25 times more deadly. There have been 127,863 cases of Covid-19 reported as of this morning and of those 4,718 resulted in death. If we had only had 127,863 cases of the flu in 2018-2019 there would have been 185(ish) deaths. So it is definitely a nasty bug and the fact that no one on the planet is vaccinated will make it tough to slow the spread. The precautions being taken are NOT over the top. Some of the media sensationalizing actually undermines the situation because some people will dismiss it all and others will completely lose their minds. It's concerning and should cause hysteria.
I've read the same thing but my issue is the denominator when looking at deaths to cases of Covid-19. My guess is that there are a lot more cases of Covid-19 than what is being reported. Also, there are probably people that have had Covid-19 and not known it so those cases were not reported.

I'm not doubting that it is more deadly than the flu but I think the 25x more deadly number will come down.

Jan 13, 2005
I've read the same thing but my issue is the denominator when looking at deaths to cases of Covid-19. My guess is that there are a lot more cases of Covid-19 than what is being reported. Also, there are probably people that have had Covid-19 and not known it so those cases were not reported.

I'm not doubting that it is more deadly than the flu but I think the 25x more deadly number will come down.
That's the thing that scares the crap out of me. Seemingly healthy people spreading to people that have compromised immune systems.

Dec 17, 2011
I think that is inevitable at this point.
It's a lot of freelancing people that are getting hit hard very hard. I live in the middle of the entertainment industry and it's scary bad how man people are already affected and it's just the start.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Viruses peak in Winter/Spring and then the warmer more humid months stop the spread because they cant travel through the heavier more humid air. Basic virus behaviors.

And while Southern Cali has cases, who knows if they are from people travelling or whether its transmitting person to person within the communities. Pretty bad argument there.
They also have 24.8 million people so sure they have cases...of all sorts of things.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There is a difference between precaution and panic...at what point do we cross that line. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to drown in your bathtub than die due to this virus. Make sure you get some water wings before the stores sell out of them.

But I'm not going to stress too much. If cancelling all these events and scaring people into not leaving their houses helps contain this thing quicker and get it off the front page then let's get on with it.
Approximately 2 weeks ago. WE just collectively jumped on it and erased the line yesterday.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's a lot of freelancing people that are getting hit hard very hard. I live in the middle of the entertainment industry and it's scary bad how man people are already affected and it's just the start.
so how many? The numbers being reported aren't big yet in California and I assume that is what you are talking about by the "entertainment industry."

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I asked that question on Facebook. The answer I got was "500k". Half a million. The population of Dayton wiped out before taking it seriously.
No ONE wants anyone to die...the question here is about reaction VS overreaction. Don't assume people are uncaring and attempt to shame them because some of us think the reaction is VERY disproportional to the need.

Dec 17, 2011
so how many? The numbers being reported aren't big yet in California and I assume that is what you are talking about by the "entertainment industry."
Lol how many of my actual friends? Why would I keep a chart of my friends losing jobs or losing pay because of events being canceled so they lose at least a month of pay. It's happening and I'm seeing it everyday with someone new.

Sep 9, 2013
Will the NCAA wrestling championship be cancelled too? I feel bad for the wrestlers who qualified if it doesn't take place.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lol how many of my actual friends? Why would I keep a chart of my friends losing jobs or losing pay because of events being canceled so they lose at least a month of pay. It's happening and I'm seeing it everyday with someone new.
OH...I thought you meant because of the Virus...What you actually mean is because of the OVERREACTION to it. We are mostly ALL losing because of that.