NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Amazing how far reaching all this is. I would have never considered college sports eligibility, but clearly it is a legitimate concern. Imagine all the other things that will be affected that no one has even considered yet.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Amazing how far reaching all this is. I would have never considered college sports eligibility, but clearly it is a legitimate concern. Imagine all the other things that will be affected that no one has even considered yet.
Yeah I mean at some point it could even come down to if the schools can afford to have those extra players on scholarship. I mean most can but some probably can't.

Dec 17, 2011
Yeah I mean at some point it could even come down to if the schools can afford to have those extra players on scholarship. I mean most can but some probably can't.
They could say they have the option to be a walk on. As long as the elgibility is there

Oct 7, 2008
You think the media is causing, oh say, the head of Ohio Public Health and the Governor of Ohio to urge cancellation of all meetings with 250 people or more? You think media fear mongering is causing NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA cancellations and postponements?
Only the people who are too stubborn to admit they were wrong are still blaming this on the media. Just look at what's happening to the countries that didn't respond in kind to the virus early on. The fact is, we got a late start just like those countries. We have far, far lower testing rates than countries like South Korea, who've dealt with this rather successfully so far. As of March 8, Italy had tested 826 people per million citizens. Italy is getting hammered right now. You know how many people per million the US has tested? Five. Italy is testing 160x as many people as we are. It's a bit scary to think if we have 1,300 reported cases of CV, and we are woefully, woefully under testing, how many cases are undiagnosed out there.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You think the media is causing, oh say, the head of Ohio Public Health and the Governor of Ohio to urge cancellation of all meetings with 250 people or more? You think media fear mongering is causing NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA cancellations and postponements?
Maybe. But all those entities risk a lot by doing business as usual, so it's like the weather man screaming to take cover for potential bad weather. It's pretty heavily weighted on the "better safe than sorry" side of the scale. The criticism they face by under reacting is far more than they will face for being overly cautious.

Sep 9, 2013
NCAA has cancelled March madness.

"Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities," the NCAA statement read.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
How many people would have to die before you would consider it not retarded?
I didn't know if he meant the reaction to the virus was retarded or our responses are retarded.

I think it's retarded to make vague posts.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
In a word...YES...In two words...Most Definitely! In four words...NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Only the people who are too stubborn to admit they were wrong are still blaming this on the media. Just look at what's happening to the countries that didn't respond in kind to the virus early on. The fact is, we got a late start just like those countries. We have far, far lower testing rates than countries like South Korea, who've dealt with this rather successfully so far. As of March 8, Italy had tested 826 people per million citizens. Italy is getting hammered right now. You know how many people per million the US has tested? Five. Italy is testing 160x as many people as we are. It's a bit scary to think if we have 1,300 reported cases of CV, and we are woefully, woefully under testing, how many cases are undiagnosed out there.
I don't think ANYONE is blaming the media for the coronavirus...we are blaming the media on the mass hysteria over the coronavirus in comparisons to the actual size of the problem currently (around $50K confirmed cases Worldwide). AND the fact that they have basically shattered our economy in the process with their hysteria. NO ONE thinks we shouldn't attempt to contain it and heal the sick...but MILLIONS of Americans think the media is EXTREEMLY overreacting. Most of the people I know who aren't afraid to express their opinion agree, and I also work in a hospital...so it's not just the "stubborn."

Now some are stubborn...like my 81 year old Dad whom I tried to tell to be careful and he said this was a bunch of political BS and he'd never seen such a stupid over-reaction...said that back when he was in the USAF they had the swine flu that killed far more people than this will and the reaction to containment was NOTHING compared to this hype that is wreaking the country and has a major political element. His words not mine. I told him to be careful and he said he's going to live his life...he's earned it...I'm not going to tell him to stop and take it easy...he's a war hero...and he has a strong opinion about the direction of our country in terms of it's "softness."

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I would guess we aren't testing every tom, dick and harry that has a sore throat because we would like to leave hospital and clinical space for those who are actually sick...If that's it, I'm not sure that's a bad policy considering the hysteria and bed availability that higher numbers has caused in other populations (namely Italy).

Oct 7, 2008
I don't think ANYONE is blaming the media for the coronavirus...we are blaming the media on the mass hysteria over the coronavirus in comparisons to the actual size of the problem currently (around $50K confirmed cases Worldwide). AND the fact that they have basically shattered our economy in the process with their hysteria. NO ONE thinks we shouldn't attempt to contain it and heal the sick...but MILLIONS of Americans think the media is EXTREEMLY overreacting. Most of the people I know who aren't afraid to exprss their opinion agree...so it's not just the "stubborn."

Now some are stubborn...like my 81 year old Dad whom I tried to tell to be careful and he said this was a bunch of political BS and he'd never seen such a stupid over-reaction...said that back when he was in the USAF they had the swine flu that killed far more people and the reaction to containment was NOTHING compared to this hype that is wreaking the country and has a major political element..his words not mine. I told him to be careful and he said he's going to live his life...he's earned it...I'm not going to tell him to stop and take it easy.
Haha, I'm sure I'll be the same way at his age.

(but seriously hope he and everyone else who's most vulnerable come out of this unscathed)

Sep 24, 2011
How many people must die before....

Simply a lame attempt to play moral superiority. There is no answer that would not be rejected as heartless.

In 2017, 80,000 people died during flu season. Nobody stopped games, shut down the country, or called the President incompetent. 80,000. In the US alone. And the media did not run stories 24-7 about it.

Nobody wants to be accused of causing a death, so the hysteria is out of control. How many deaths did the NCAA tourney cause in 2017?

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
How many people must die before....

Simply a lame attempt to play moral superiority. There is no answer that would not be rejected as heartless.

In 2017, 80,000 people died during flu season. Nobody stopped games, shut down the country, or called the President incompetent. 80,000. In the US alone. And the media did not run stories 24-7 about it.

Nobody wants to be accused of causing a death, so the hysteria is out of control. How many deaths did the NCAA tourney cause in 2017?
How many people were exposed to the flu to get that 80,000 deaths? 300 million? More? That is over 12 months.

How many people have been exposed to covid 19? Even a million yet? How many months?

The point is comparing this to a postmortem snapshot of the flue doesn’t really hold water.