1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NCAA Golf Championship - Match Play Round 1

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by SwingingPete, May 31, 2011.

1. H2Orange

A/V Subscriber H2Orange Sitting on the Group W bench

I think the failure of our top two players to show up today is what cost us.
  2. TMan86

TMan86 Wrangler

Uihlein's opponent shot 31 on the front...nothing you can do about that.
  3. MustangPokeFan

MustangPokeFan Cowboy

Next chance to feel better about our teams.......not until September 3rd.....
    Long hot boring summer to have this "turd in your mouth" taste for our team sports...
  4. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Wrangler

yes they played bad granted, but Sean could have won it with smart play and not dumb shots
  5. SKC

SKC Cowboy

It is NEVER a bad day to be a Cowboy. What's wrong with you?

Some Poke teams lost. So what? I'm proud to be a Cowboy EVERY DAY!
  6. superpoke

superpoke Cowboy

What really hacks me off is that Augusta State shouldn't even be in this tournament. They're a D-II school.

Schools jumping divisions for one sport is bull.
  7. The Poke

The Poke Cowboy

But DAMN proud to have been here! There are hundreds of schools that didn't even sniff the success we had this year in MANY sports. A great day to be Orange blooded!
  8. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

meltdown........GO!:rolleyes:
  9. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Cowboy

Disappointing, but not surprising. I don't know if we'll ever win a NC with this format. It will probably change in the next 5-8 years, so we got that to look forward to.
  10. PokeForDays

PokeForDays Greenhorn

Maybe but I don't think anyone can deny that Uihlein underperformed all week. I was out there the first two rounds and his -1 total didn't tell the whole story. As the #1 amateur he is supposed to win, he was just off his game I guess.
  11. The Poke

The Poke Cowboy

No kidding.... Fire all coaches now! :rolleyes:
  12. bacowboy

bacowboy Cowboy

Un f'n believable 2 years in a row we lose to these jokers on our home course even. Guess they are the new golf power.
  13. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Cowboy

Today was pretty easy to take at least. Baseball has been underperforming for over a month so 2 and out isn't a surprise. It would have been a bigger surprise if we had actually won a game. Softball got hot at the right time, but I can't imagine o-2 is a big shock with the quality of teams in the WCWS. What did we finish in conference play? Were we 4th or 5th? Top 8 in the country is pretty damn solid. And golf, well....golf. I think we're getting used to it by now. This is where we are with golf. Best team all season except for the last weekend. We'll be back next year and one of this years, we'll have a team built for match play. Or McGraw will realize if you can't play match play, you're not winning any more NC. Not sure how you train a team to be good in match play, but that's not my job. Disappointing weekend for sure, but no reason to meltdown. If you had to bet your life on it before the weekend started, this result would have been a pretty good bet.
  14. piston1336

piston1336 Cowboy

Before it begins, we should commend this team for a great season. Eight wins in 12 tournaments. Fifth straight Big 12 title. Another regional win.

I know people will complain about match play, but honestly this team doesnt win in stroke play this year. I just feel really bad for Tway, who I feel deserves at least one title here.

But I will say that match play makes it exciting and deserves to be televised. We may not like the results. However, the same could be said for KU basketball the few times they choked in the tourney, and there is no clamoring to change that format. Mike just needs to get us to play more match play so were used to the format.
  15. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Cowboy

I'd agree with all that except possibly that we wouldn't have won in stroke play. Back when it was all stroke play, didn't they play 4 rounds? If so, I think I'd have liked our chances with one more day of play and us in 3rd place. If not, then you can't really say we'd have lost this year or won the last two for sure. If you know you only need to make the top 8 and the #1 seed isn't worth anymore than the #8, it's got to change your mindset. Hell, this year the reward for being the #1 seed was getting to play the hottest team. I do feel like we'd have won 2 of the last 3 NC if they had left it as just stroke play. Shoot, I think we'd have won 3 in a row.
  16. Pepe' Le Poke

Pepe' Le Poke Wrangler

FWIW, both Mike Holder and Mike McGraw have been the leading advocates of the Match Play format. Also fwiw, we didn't win Stroke Play either. We finished tied for 3rd in that format.

Neither format was the blame for either loss.

Yes this is disappointing but our Cowboy Golfer's had a great season and deserve our praise... as does Coach McGraw. Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicholas, Tiger Woods... none could win them all. Such is the nature of Golf.

Now I'm going to go out and kick the heck out of a worthless, no good, dirty rotten, scum sucking tree.
  17. asustudent

asustudent Greenhorn

Augusta State is a mid-sized university that doesn't have the huge athletic budget of schools like Oklahoma State. They don't have the funds to make the leap to D1 in every sport (although they may make the jump in basketball in the coming years). However, because they reside in a golf mecca like Augusta, the golf programs get tremendous support and are able to compete with the big boys, as they've emphatically proven the last two years. Our men's golf program is something we take tremendous pride in here.

I'm not here to gloat. Oklahoma State is the best team in the country, and it's an honor to play on the same course as them. I saw you guys dominate on our home course earlier this year and was blown away at how good your team is. But anything can happen in match play, and ASU just made some big-time putts down the stretch to pull it out of the fire.

I know it's an empty feeling, and there's nothing I can say to make you guys feel better about it. But just know that we have tremendous respect for your program, and the reason we're so excited is because we know it took a titanic effort to knock you guys out the last two years.
  18. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Cowboy

Yeah, I wonder why that is. It sure doesn't benefit the better teams and those two know as well as anyone that were always the better team. Does it bring in more money? It still isn't getting TV time. What's the benefit other than opening it up to inferior teams winning the NC. It's like bball playing up to the final four and then deciding the champ with a game of HORSE or a skills challange. Well, not quite like that. But just as F'ing stupid. I really hate this format. Oh, and as I already stated, I think we would have won in stroke play had that been the goal coming in.
  19. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Cowboy

I don't think too many people agree with him. They obviously belong in D1 golf. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be pulling for ASU. Gotta love the little guy!
  20. Pepe' Le Poke

Pepe' Le Poke Wrangler

Although it was a disappointing finish, was following this Match drama filled and exciting to the very end and into extra holes?

There's no way for a 32 team Stroke Play format to equal the intensity and excitement of today's Match with Augusta State nor the pending Final.

32 teams to 8 to 4 to 2 to the National Champ. That's a practical impossibility in Stroke Play.