1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NCAA Golf Championship - Match Play Round 1

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by SwingingPete, May 31, 2011.

1. ProBonoPoke

ProBonoPoke Wrangler

ASU played well give them that, but that doesn't change the fact that the number 1 college golf team in the NCAA lost on the course that they play and practice on every day. This is a hard loss to swallow. I am still proud of the effort and how far we got, but this is not easy and we should not lose on our home course, ever.

2. superpoke

superpoke Sheriff

What's really sad is that this is the fourth time OSU has either hosted or co-hosted the NCAA Tournament, and we haven't won any of them.

3. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Sheriff

Tway essentially shot -2... too bad his competitor shot -4. Which is better than all but 2 rounds during the stroke play segment.

4. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Sheriff

So you're the reason my rounds take 5 hours...

Fast or slow... it's all what you're comfortable with. I play horrible on slow saturday's... one of my best rounds ever was 2 over when I walked the course in 2 hrs 20 mins...

5. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

Individual awards don't mean crap if you can't back them up with your play.

6. pokefan_4

pokefan_4 The Colossus of Clout A/V Subscriber

Home course. #1 and #2 players in the nation. Hogan award winner and runner up. And #1 ranking. That is a choke. Nothing else needs to be said. Stop trying to justify it. Damn. We poke choked once again.

7. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Territorial Marshal

You're not an osu fan. Poser!! Osu played well just lost by a stroke. Peter ueihlein had rough day and test played well. Osu won two matches. So did they. Had to go extra holes in one match. I'm disappointmented too but stop acting like an idiot

8. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Wildcard A/V Subscriber

I really like how some of you people go in full meltdown mode anytime an OSU team loses. Our golf team is still the best in the nation. So they don't have a national title to prove it! Who cares? My gosh.

9. pokefan_4

pokefan_4 The Colossus of Clout A/V Subscriber

Yep. Not an OSU fan. Wow. Whatever. I've been at every OSU football and basketball game from beginning to end all during my college years. Whatever. I don't even want to fight. I wear my OSU ring every day. Wear OSU colors every day and follow every OSU sport. We choked. Just admit it

10. OrangeAlum

OrangeAlum Deputy

Was Mike Holder the one who really pushed for match play? I keep hearing this. If so he cost his team two titles and this screwy format does not reward the best team.

11. OSUFan

OSUFan Born to wear orange! A/V Subscriber

You guys are brutal. I hate to see what you say to your kids when they strike out in t-ball.

12. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

We lost by a hairs breath to the SAME team with the SAME golfers that beat us in the NCAA final last year, how is that choking? It's choking when you lose to someone who should not be on the same course as you...ASU is the NCAA Champion. FACT is...They were just ever so slightly better than us yesterday, not a choke.

13. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

Where have you been for the past three years? This has been hashed and rehashed. It is what it is and we have not been able to win consistantly the final eight teams of golf in match play formats. It is designed to get TV coverage as it is exciting. Hopefully it will and that will actually give us more exposure.

14. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I thought we won the last time we hosted? No? If that is the case it may be the added pressure of playing at home that limits us a bit. Bottom line, we barely lost, it's not the end of the world.

15. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal

I gave myself some time on melt down mode.

The best team wins championships, we don't. A year ago I said this team didn't have the killer instinct (lol golf killer instinct). Anyway someone jumped all over me and told me how our current coach would have more championships than Holder by retirement. Apparently not.

I try not to be the negative nancy around here but how much does the deck have to be stacked in our favor before we can win in this format?

16. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

[YOUTUBE]-4T26x6GZEw[/YOUTUBE]

17. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal

What TV coverage?

18. OrangeAlum

OrangeAlum Deputy

Let's rehash it again, Francis. Such a stupid move. You should definitely lock up a TV deal BEFORE you change the format.

19. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

Had nothing to do with this year as we finished 3rd in stroke play and would not have won the title anyway. I was pissed about it two years ago but we have had two years to adjust and still lost. It is what it is and we have to play in reality. We lost, it was not the formats fault and ASU had something to do with it. Still walking the course yesterday was a blast and having only two teams on the course makes that better.

Once again it is what it is and sour grapes get us nothing but a bad taste in our mouths. But if you want to wallow in the past go right ahead and be my guest.

Go Pokes!!

20. canno

canno Wrangler

I won't question your fandom, but I will question your knowledge of golf. Bad days happen in the game of golf. Also, there isn't much separating the best in DI golf from the second tier. All of the guys playing in match play are capable of getting hot. In match play momentum is everything. Once you lose it, it's difficult to get it back. The guy Einhaus was playing couldn't miss a putt. That usually results in a win. It was an exciting day of golf. We just happened to come out on the losing end.