Neal Brown can recruit!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
His 1st class at WVU, after having had the job less than a year, was the best in WVU's history.
People laughed when he said earlier this year he expects to have a class well within the top 20.

It's early, but:
West Virginia has started the spring recruiting period off right by picking up one of the biggest commits in school history as Spring Valley offensive lineman Wyatt Milum committed to the WVU football program on Friday night. The 247Sports four-star recruit chose the Mountaineers over fellow finalists Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and Kentucky.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
His 1st class at WVU, after having had the job less than a year, was the best in WVU's history.
People laughed when he said earlier this year he expects to have a class well within the top 20.

It's early, but:
West Virginia has started the spring recruiting period off right by picking up one of the biggest commits in school history as Spring Valley offensive lineman Wyatt Milum committed to the WVU football program on Friday night. The 247Sports four-star recruit chose the Mountaineers over fellow finalists Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and Kentucky.

Sep 9, 2013
National recruiting analyst for 247 sports:

If National Signing Day were today, the 6-foot-6, 273-pound Milum would be a five-star as we finish with 32 of those each cycle representing the number of picks selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.
Our No. 5 offensive tackle, Milum was a top of the board recruit for several programs and had an offer list that boasted opportunities from the likes of Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State and Tennessee...

Multi-year starter at high-level Power 5 school. Projects as a first round NFL draft pick.”

I can't wait to kick OU's ass bad as LSU did!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
National recruiting analyst for 247 sports:

If National Signing Day were today, the 6-foot-6, 273-pound Milum would be a five-star as we finish with 32 of those each cycle representing the number of picks selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.
Our No. 5 offensive tackle, Milum was a top of the board recruit for several programs and had an offer list that boasted opportunities from the likes of Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State and Tennessee...

Multi-year starter at high-level Power 5 school. Projects as a first round NFL draft pick.”

I can't wait to kick OU's as bad as LSU did!
I think you left an s off the ass up there. Please feel free to resume your fantasy life.

Aug 16, 2012
We

Do

Not

Care.

Buy a damn dog already. At least he might lift an ear or lick his own ass upon being regaled with endless, inane propaganda about Hillbilly U.

Sep 9, 2013
We

Do

Not

Care.

Buy a damn dog already. At least he might lift an ear or lick his own ass upon being regaled with endless, inane propaganda about Hillbilly U.
You'll care when you're soon on the wrong end of an 80-0 beatdown. WVU did that to Rutgers in the RROD era. WVU football is back, BABY! Actually RROD did that to you guys when he was at Arizona, and NB is much, much better than RROD. RROD had 3 straight top ten seasons, 2 in top 5, just imagine what NB will do with LSU type talent.

actually RROD only scored 59 on you, not 80. Seemed like 80....

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You'll care when you're soon on the wrong end of an 80-0 beatdown. WVU did that to Rutgers in the RROD era. WVU football is back, BABY! Actually RROD did that to you guys when he was at Arizona, and NB is much, much better than RROD. RROD had 3 straight top ten seasons, 2 in top 5, just imagine what NB will do with LSU type talent.

actually RROD only scored 59 on you, not 80. Seemed like 80....
Whoa there 'eere, you appear to be in a lather. Let's calm down and get our realities readjusted.

Sep 9, 2013
Whoa there 'eere, you appear to be in a lather. Let's calm down and get our realities readjusted.
I was obviously(hopefully) joking. Oklahoma State football is in a good place. WVU used to be in a good place, and I think WVU will be again get back to a top 25 regular, like they were under RROD.
DH going to Houston was addition by subtraction. Not only is Neal brown a much, much better recruiter than DH, he's also way better at assembling a staff, organization, and recruiting.

A lot of Wva high school coaches who had power 5 linemen said Neal Brown and the new oline coach are at their schools alot. They also said DH and Wickline never showed their faces there even once, not even when they had players LSU, Tenn, VT, Ky, and others recruited hard.
DH and Wickline hated recruiting, and that means they are illsuited for the college game.

WVU will be improved in 2020, but likely not much so. WVU was 5-7 last year, and is likely a 7-5 team this year, but I dont think you will see any blowouts this year. WVU opens with FSU, and then has Maryland, so we'll know something early on.

WVU could well start 6-0. FSU isnt what they once were, although they have talent across the board. Maryland is a WVU whipping boy. We have Ky, who has never beaten WVU(in football). We get TCU and Kstate, both of whom WVU beat last year even when we were awful. kstate hasnt beaten WVU in years.
Texas tech may be tough in lubbock, but if WVU is 5-0 rolling into lubbock, they wont lose to Tech.

WVU should have the big 12's best defense this year. Best dline for sure. All those freshmen who started are a year older.

w0lfe

Wrangler
Aug 23, 2010
LMAO this is funny.. They get one 4 star lineman and the guy loses his mind. There are teams in the conference that are shunned for getting anyone with less stars than that. WVU isn't going anywhere soon

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
I was obviously(hopefully) joking. Oklahoma State football is in a good place. WVU used to be in a good place, and I think WVU will be again get back to a top 25 regular, like they were under RROD.
DH going to Houston was addition by subtraction. Not only is Neal brown a much, much better recruiter than DH, he's also way better at assembling a staff, organization, and recruiting.

A lot of Wva high school coaches who had power 5 linemen said Neal Brown and the new oline coach are at their schools alot. They also said DH and Wickline never showed their faces there even once, not even when they had players LSU, Tenn, VT, Ky, and others recruited hard.
DH and Wickline hated recruiting, and that means they are illsuited for the college game.

WVU will be improved in 2020, but likely not much so. WVU was 5-7 last year, and is likely a 7-5 team this year, but I dont think you will see any blowouts this year. WVU opens with FSU, and then has Maryland, so we'll know something early on.

WVU could well start 6-0. FSU isnt what they once were, although they have talent across the board. Maryland is a WVU whipping boy. We have Ky, who has never beaten WVU(in football). We get TCU and Kstate, both of whom WVU beat last year even when we were awful. kstate hasnt beaten WVU in years.
Texas tech may be tough in lubbock, but if WVU is 5-0 rolling into lubbock, they wont lose to Tech.

WVU should have the big 12's best defense this year. Best dline for sure. All those freshmen who started are a year older.
I'm just not sold on the whole "great recruiter" bit. The kid you're touting seems like a home state guy. He is also apparently from a family with money. His (recruiting) twitter shows at least 18 campus visits across the country in the last 2 years. He visited WV 5 times (not including a camp held there). Then there's the baseball part...is he 100% football?

Sep 9, 2013
LMAO this is funny.. They get one 4 star lineman and the guy loses his mind. There are teams in the conference that are shunned for getting anyone with less stars than that. WVU isn't going anywhere soon
he's a 5 star if the final ratings were done today. I didn't quote that part. there are 32 5 star players, one for each NFL draft pick. He's the 5th highest rated tackle in the country, and Bama, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame were after him hard. That's more than just another 4 star, it's a kid whose projected to go in the NFL 1st round, who's a punishing blocker, and who is good enough in baseball to play college baseball(he's a great hitter and fielding 3rd baseman) but he's focusing on football.

Talent attracts talent. WVU had another "4" star tackle there this weekend, and he could easily end up in the class. NB said he expected to have a top 20 recruiting class now that he's had a full cycle. He's actually known as a very good recruiter even before he came to WVU. Maybe I should just link you to an article where the national recruiting analysts say WVU is punching well above it's weight in recruiting and is a team to keep an eye on if the dominos start to fall.

BTW, we just beat Baylor by 12 in basketball and had a wrestler win the Big 12 championship at 197. It's a good time to be a Mountaineer!

If you look at the end of last season's recruiting cycle, NB stole a wr UGA and Florida both wanted badly. The gator board melted down when he committed to WVU. WVU also beat PSU, OSU, and Mich for 2 recruits and FSU for 2 more. NB can recruit. If he's a better x and o coach than RROD, which I believe he is, WVU will win a big 12 title in the next 4-5 years.

My main concern is keeping him if bama comes calling when Saban retires, or LSU or similar job opens up and he's kicked ass at WVU.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Well surprise, surprise. People say bad stuff about a coach after he leaves their school?? No way!

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
My first thought when I saw the thread title, “Who the f@#$ is Neal Brown?”

Now after reading the post my thought is “Who the f@#$ cares?”

Sep 9, 2013
My first thought when I saw the thread title, “Who the f@#$ is Neal Brown?”

Now after reading the post my thought is “Who the f@#$ cares?”
WVU is currently ranked 19th in recruiting rankings. I'll keep you posted. WVU getting a top 20 recruiting class would be good for the big 12's image btw.

WVU fans always envisioned WVU eventually owning the Big 12 like they did the BE. The plan is taking longer than many of us like, but our feet are now on the right path. I mean there is no bama or lsu in the big 12, and wvu beat clemson 70-33 the last time we played them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
WVU is currently ranked 19th in recruiting rankings. I'll keep you posted. WVU getting a top 20 recruiting class would be good for the big 12's image btw.

WVU fans always envisioned WVU eventually owning the Big 12 like they did the BE. The plan is taking longer than many of us like, but our feet are now on the right path. I mean there is no bama or lsu in the big 12, and wvu beat clemson 70-33 the last time we played them.
It's curious you throw out a bowl win over Clemson from 2012.

I don't keep up much, but how'd that win translate for the 2 programs over the last three quarters of a decade?