New coaches thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 12, 2007
So answer me this. Why would Henson think he is qualified to be an offensive coordinator calling plays when his speciality is the line? Dunn coaches the receivers so I can see him thinking he has the skills and mind to call plays whether he does or not. Maybe some posters who have been around football coordinators in the past can have some insight on how they thnk.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
So answer me this. Why would Henson think he is qualified to be an offensive coordinator calling plays when his speciality is the line? Dunn coaches the receivers so I can see him thinking he has the skills and mind to call plays whether he does or not. Maybe some posters who have been around football coordinators in the past can have some insight on how they thnk.
Because he was one at Missouri???

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
And was AWFUL. I mean TERRIBLE. The Vance Bedford of offensive coordinators. I know there were mitigating circumstances but he ran a prolific offense into the subsoil.
Being a little extreme there chief, a little thing called Ferguson happened that last year which wreaked havoc on Mizzou. They lost their QB and a lame duck head coach. He kicked our asses in a bowl game nine months before that mess happened. When going with insults, or going with facts look at the facts please.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Being a little extreme there chief, a little thing called Ferguson happened that last year which wreaked havoc on Mizzou. They lost their QB and a lame duck head coach. He kicked our asses in a bowl game nine months before that mess happened. When going with insults, or going with facts look at the facts please.
What impact did Ferguson have on Mizzou’s football team?

Nov 14, 2010
If we lose Dunn or Henson that will suck very badly.

We're just now digging out of a hole with our O line and Dunn might be the best receivers coach in America.

That was my biggest concern with not staying in house.

I like Gleeson and think he'll bring some creatively but his hire would not be worth losing either one of Henson or Dunn.

It would be an overall net negative for the program.

I assumed and continue to assume that by hiring Gleeson Gundy felt comfortable with where Henson and Dunn were at with it

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
And was AWFUL. I mean TERRIBLE. The Vance Bedford of offensive coordinators. I know there were mitigating circumstances but he ran a prolific offense into the subsoil.
Look at the facts? How about the numbers? Cause that’s where I looked and they don’t lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It was an incident at Mizzou not Ferguson. An incident where activists wanted Presidents head. I think unfairly so. Due to that players quit on their head coach due to some things as well. It was a mess at Mizzou after that. They have recovered by this was like 5 years ago.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Look at the facts? How about the numbers? Cause that’s where I looked and they don’t lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
figures don't lie, but liars figure. you think you could do better than he did there? he kicked our ass and made us like it, that's not debatable. To answer the Ferguson question they had to beg the kids to show up on Saturday because of the full blown campus unrest aimed at the president, its fascinating history you might want to look up. It was a mess, no one could coach through that mess.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Ummm...why would you ask?
GUndy has habtiualy made changes (fired) coach's after signing day so it seems like a reasonable query. I personally wonder if changes will happen on the defensive side of the ball, since Knowles came in after signing day last years he did not make any changes.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It was an incident at Mizzou not Ferguson. An incident where activists wanted Presidents head. I think unfairly so. Due to that players quit on their head coach due to some things as well. It was a mess at Mizzou after that. They have recovered by this was like 5 years ago.
I may not remember correctly but I believe this was set off because of the Ferguson protests.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
I may not remember correctly but I believe this was set off because of the Ferguson protests.
Tangentially. The student on a hunger strike was a black grad student, and there was already a lot of unrest with the administration before the strike because MU thought it would be a good idea to cancel grad student health insurance the day coverage expired without sending notification (which led to the creation of a grad student union that the University is trying to bust and not recognize). There were a couple of other incidents on campus (including a poop swastika in a dorm), culminating in a protest during their homecoming parade where the student on the hunger strike was allegedly hit by the president's car (the Youtube video of the incident I saw at the time made it seem a lot less severe than the student said) and the president never responded publicly.

The football team was already having a crappy year, and didn't join in the protest until the 5th or 6th day, which also, if I remember correctly, coincided with their bye weekend. Yes, the football team gave the protest more coverage, but it wasn't about them. Couple that with a few Yik Yak threats and false stories of harassment, it was a pretty awful situation all around. I had to cancel class because a lot of students told me they wouldn't walk across campus because they were afraid of getting shot.