1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

New OKC Sports Talk Station, Just a Sports Animal retread?

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by OSUCivil0204, Aug 20, 2013.

1. OSUCivil0204

OSUCivil0204 Cowboy

Looks to me like they are just stealing some of the sports animal's guys. I don't understand how taking the same talent (or lack thereof) and diluting it with two stations will improve anything.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/84202/rumor-mill-krxo-oklahoma-city-to-flip-to-sports/

The Sports format of “107.7 The Franchise” KRXO will debut on Monday, August 25.

The station will be branded as “107.7 The Franchise“. Mornings will be hosted by two of the former “Morning Animals” at Cumulus’ 98.1 WWLS, Mike Stelly and Jay ‘Lump’ Lynch. They will be joined by Oklahoman writer John Rohde, who most recently served as the paper’s beat writer for the Oklahoma City Thunder. Sam Mayes, a former Oklahoma State football player who also recently worked at WWLS will host from 9-11am. No other timeslots have leaked out yet.

http://thefranchiseok.com/
  2. 75035

75035 Cowboy

3. MWilliams96

A/V Subscriber MWilliams96 Cowboy

With Steely and Lump gone the morning animals is now curtis and a bunch of UO people. They literally talk about nothing else than UO, and has made it impossible to listen too.

I probably wont listen to the new station in the morning but will check on Sam Mayes program to see how it is.
    OSUspears12 likes this.
  4. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

Traber might be moving? Would Al go with him? I know we like ripping on them but I find them entertaining sometimes. Sounds like the Sports Animal is being bombarded. How is this new station able to outpay the established Sports Animal? Or is there something going on politically at the Sports Animal that is making these guys want to move? Also, I assume it won't be available in Tulsa, which sucks because, unfortunately, the sports product from Oklahoma City is better than what is available locally in Tulsa. Al Jerkins and Pat Jones are interesting midday and the afternoon guys on the Buzz are okay though they talk way too much about MMA and fringe sports. Though, to be fair, it seems the Sports Animal talks too much Thunder in my opinion but maybe that's because I'm not a die hard Thunder fan.

Please, no "Sports Animal" sucks and is biased talk. I'm legitimately curious.
  5. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Cowboy

Sound like diluting market share over multiple channels to hurt CBS's entry into the market.
  6. OSUCivil0204

OSUCivil0204 Cowboy

I don't think Trabor and Al are going to the new station. Probably still under contract, and if they were going to a rival station I think they would have been off the air weeks or months ago.

I listen to talk radio all the time, but when I try to listen to sports talk.....I get bored pretty quickly. I don't understand why these station don't try to bring in some new talent from out of state.

The really said thing is that KRXO is moving to 104.5 which is only a 250 watt signal compared to 92,000 watts for 107.7. I kind of enjoyed listening to KRXO.
  7. El Gato Bandito

A/V Subscriber El Gato Bandito Ballin' on a Budget

Sports Animal isn't all bad. Sure they have some people that are pretty terrible, but so does every sports radio station. I enjoy Mark Rogers and BBJ for the most part, the morning animals is up and down, and their Thunder coverage with Matt Pinto is excellent.
  8. wagonburner

wagonburner Wrangler

I have listened to the new morning animals this week, and I actually like them. Despite the fact that they are goons, they talk with Jimmie Trammel for the OSU sports report and don't regurgitate questions from the newspaper. They genuinely have good questions for him. Also they will go around the horn and talk MLB and other conferences- meanwhile Lump might be reading an obscure posting from TMZ if he were on the air.
  9. OSUspears12

OSUspears12 Wrangler

After listening to the "new" morning animals the past couple of weeks I take back everything bad I ever said about the "original" morning animals.

I listened to Steely, Curtis and Lump for years on my hour commute becuase I didn't have anything better to listen to. I use to bitch and moan when they got off topic and starting talking about TMZ or whatever, but they actually did know their stuff about OSU and the Thunder for the most part. I've listened to the new guys for a couple of weeks and it is painful... it is just a bunch of giggling about weird non-sports topics... i don't get it
  10. Boomer.....

Boomer..... Cowboy

Lineup looks horrible:

http://www.krxo.com/the-franchise-sports-headlines/author/john-rohde
  11. superpoke

superpoke Cowboy

Oh geez...Tyler Media has taken every complaint about the Sports Animal's OU-centric bias and used them as suggestions on how to program the new station.

Kelly Gregg? Tony Casillas? WHO THE HELL CARES?

They're going to get killed in the ratings, and what sucks is that they'll stick to their guns on it, which will kill KRXO at the same time. This has the potential to be an epic disaster, and I hope it is. They needed to fix KRXO, not do something like this.
  12. BeatOU

Staff A/V Subscriber BeatOU GGBTW

Weird. Lump's name is not Jay Lynch. He's Mexican and his name is Hernandez.

ALSO, not knowing this thread was here, I created one (now that the lineup has been released) this morning in the main forum. After their Monday launch, I'll merge mine into yours.
    BlondeSoonerGirl likes this.
  13. BlondeSoonerGirl

BlondeSoonerGirl Wrangler

:: subscribed ::
  14. BlondeSoonerGirl

They've been on a week, maybe they'll have something good.
  15. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Im not sure what the guys name is, but the guy who joins Mark Rogers at 11 is just one never ending cliche. Anoying as hell.
  16. BlondeSoonerGirl

On SA or The Franchise?
  17. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Animal
  18. BlondeSoonerGirl

I will be on The Franchise on Friday mornings during football season at 7 AM with Lump, Steely, and Rohde doing a segment called Chick Picks, where Lump and I each pick 3 games/week against the spread.

So far, I'm 3-0 and Lump is 2-1. Y'all should listen. Should be pretty fun :)
  19. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

:ohmy:

More Sooner bias!!!!!

:runaway:

Honestly, that sounds like a lot of fun. When is streaming going to be available for this, do you know?
    BlondeSoonerGirl likes this.
  20. BlondeSoonerGirl

My three picks were OU vs ULM, Toby Keith vs Tim McGraw, and Crimson vs Strange Brownish Yellow. How could I go wrong?!! :oops:

(Not really, I picked Clemson, Bama, & LSU. :D )

I'm not sure when it will be streaming or if they will podcast it. I'll post something if I find out. The picks will be discussed on Monday (I went against Steely's LOTW on my Clemson pick, that will be fun to hear), but I won't be on til Friday.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    DatTallGuy and NYC Poke like this.