1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NFL COMBINE

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by CoreyfreakinlovesOSU, Feb 26, 2012.

1. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

A/V Subscriber CoreyfreakinlovesOSU (_*_)

Anyone watching? Just tuned into the WRs.. they're all running pretty darn well so far. Floyd ran low 4.4s, but Stephen Hill is one were probably gonna hear move up after today. 6'4, 215lbs and just ran a 4.3 twice.
  2. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

RG3 ran a 4.38

Blackmon ran a couple routes and caught a couple balls
  3. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

Someone clocked RG3 at 4.31. Freakish.
  4. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

Griffen has always had Olympic class speed, it's not "freakish" it's expected.
  5. Chunks

Chunks Cowboy

Freakishly Expected?
  6. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

OK. :)
  7. OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber OrangeAggie Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

Andrew Luck's hype can't get any higher obviously, but it's still pretty impressive that he ran a 4.67.
  8. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

Luck showed he is a pretty good athlete (obviously, he's going to be the #1 pick) put up some solid numbers. May not jump higher or run faster than RG3, but he can jump further!

And throw better..
  9. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

Anyone who runs a 4.3 is freakishly fast.

I didn't say anything about being surprised. I knew he was fast. Doesn't mean it isn't remarkable.
  10. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

I kinda had a feeling feeling he would post some solid numbers, but when I saw his pretty good broad jump (10'4'') , I actually thought he might run in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s. Usually those two numbers correlate with each other. Otherwise, he posted very similar numbers with Cam Newton
  11. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Wrangler

RG3 will be a fine pro as long as he doesn't have any DB's "sling-shotting" around his receivers to intercept his passes. :)
  12. stated

stated Cowboy

RGIII may end up being a good NFL QB with many years of production. But my gut says he'll have a short career.
    It was good to see both Weeden and Blackmon get through they're workouts without surprises. I don't think the combine helped nor hurt either.
    I_Miss_Ivan_McFarlin likes this.
  13. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

I think the performance of the other WRs out there may have made the race for the #1 WR a bit closer, but as long as JB runs in the 4.5s I don't think there will be much of a question as to who should be that guy. But that kid from GA tech is definitely going to shoot up draft boards and Mike Floyd ran a very solid 40, probably locking up that #2 spot with Wright running a bad 40.

But who knows.. they'll have a chance to fix it/blow it at their pro days
  14. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

He ran a 4.41.
    Yes, he is a fast but you do realize that he isn't even much of a running style QB, right?
    His speed helps him scramble but he couldn't out run Markelle Martin and Martin does not have that kind of 40 speed I'm willing to bet.

A tenth of a second in the 40 means jack during a football game and that is the truth.
    There is so, so much more to the game of football than 40-times, bench presses, etc. I think most NFL GM's know this and take all these things at the combine with a grain of salt.
  15. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

That's his official time. Can't ever count on the official times. Somebody clocked him at a 4.31. Somebody else clocked him at 4.34. The official clocks start when the runner moves his arm. The non-official clocks start when the runner takes off.

And I know he's not a pure scrambling QB. He has a really good arm too. I was just speaking to his freakish athletic ability, not his style of play.
  16. Cowboys_Blues

Cowboys_Blues Wrangler

I understand what the point of the 40 is measured for and everything, but it is pointless when it comes to a football game. He isn't going to be running a 4.41 with padding on a football field.
  17. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Agreed. The commentators were saying that what we witnessed at the Combine is the last time they'll ever run a 40.
  18. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

Asked a scout what the general buzz around Indy was about Blatnick. He said that it's not good. 6'3" 263 lbs w/ short arms, 4.90 speed, 28 bench reps, 32.5" vert, 9'4" broad, 7.22 cone, 4.20 shuttle. Late round prospect at best. He said his instinct and natural ability is really high though.
  19. Celldweller7

A/V Subscriber Celldweller7 Deputy

Has to do with their burst and general athletic ability. For linemen (even linebackers) they really look at the initial 10 yard split to get a better idea about their explosiveness. For skill position guys it is just looking for general athletic ability. I remember Bill Parcells saying he looks at the 40 to see who cannot do things. They had some sort of calculation that said if the guy can't at least run this fast, he probably can't make it at this position.

The combine drills are about seeing how limited you are as an athlete. If you perform freakish-ly, it can certainly help you, but it is more about seeing your limitations athletically, if you have any.
  20. Cowboys_Blues

Cowboys_Blues Wrangler

All the other drills are relevant to football, but the 40 just has never made a true sense of matter. I do understand the explosiveness from a player but Chris Johnson doesn't run a 4.34 on the field every time he runs. You are only going to see these numbers in the combine and never again. I'm not saying stick these guys in full pads and have them run, but a lineman is not going to run full sprint. Now, if we are looking at RBs, WRs, DBs, their 40 times can determine draft position because no one wants a running back who runs a 5.0 over a 4.40.